Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do share my eBooks with family. And I don't find it a problem. I'd do the same thing if it was a paper book. Technically this may be wrong, by morally, I feel fine about it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No they aren't. The poster claimed that "there was only one copy". I am simply pointing out that this is highly unlikely to be true.

Perhaps the original poster would prefer to amend his statement to say "only one other person has copies". I'd be fine with that.
One copy floating around means there is one copy not in his possession. The copy his mother has is that one.
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I do agree with you however that it is silly that with a physical book it's perfectly okay to lend somebody a book but an electronic book it is treated as copyright infringement.

=X=
That's because lending someone a physical book does not involve making a copy of it, hence (self-evidently) copyright does not enter into it. When you give someone a copy of an e-Book, the operative word is "copy", hence copyright law does apply.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #19
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
So you deleted all copies from your PC? You've removed the copy you downloaded from your internet cache? You've deleted the copy of the e-mail from the "send items" folder of your mail program? If the answer to any of these is "no", then how can you say that "there is only one copy floating around"?
Actually I agree you have a point. If only to totally remove the temptation to recover a copy for one's own use latter on.

I am also on the iffy side of even passing on the ebook file, even it all traces are then deleted. The analogy to what can be done with a paper book is nice, but it still remains the fact that a digital file is not the same as a paper book. Even if you are so scrupulously honest (about erasing all copies of the file from your computer and other devices) the person you passed the file onto is free to make copies and send them anywhere.

It's a real contradiction While I maintain the right to do whatever manipulation I choose to an ebook file I have legally purchased in order to make it useful to me I know the action opens up the possibility for me to share it in ways that deprive the seller of his legitimate rights and interests.

But a least from a moral standpoint that is what it will always come down to. Each individual's moral integrity. DRM can't substitute for that.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #20
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
No they aren't. The poster claimed that "there was only one copy". I am simply pointing out that this is highly unlikely to be true.
Which is a silly technicality.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Which is a silly technicality.
OK, let's continue to look at it, shall we?

Mother receives a copy in an e-mail - that's one additional copy.
Mother saves the e-mail attachment to hard disk - that's two copies.
Mother copies the book to an e-book reader - that's three copies.

Really, however you choose to look at it, there are multiple copies involved. You may regard it as a "silly technicality"; I must beg to differ.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #22
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:

Really, however you choose to look at it, there are multiple copies involved. You may regard it as a "silly technicality"; I must beg to differ.
Why so quick to assume that he is wrong when he says there is only one copy? Innocent until proven guilty (on that charge, anyways)

So, when you purchase a book and copy it to your reader, do you then delete it out of your library software?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #23
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Ok I understand what you are saying Harry, but really, what does it matter, from a practical point of view, how many copies there are in one person's possession? In this sense, even when I legally download a book and do not remove DRM, I still have at least one copy on my computer and one copy on my reader, so two copies, though I have only bought the rights to one. Do I infringe any copyright just because I don't delete from my computer when I transfer to the reader?
And does all this discussion even matter?
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Ok I understand what you are saying Harry, but really, what does it matter, from a practical point of view, how many copies there are in one person's possession? In this sense, even when I legally download a book and do not remove DRM, I still have at least one copy on my computer and one copy on my reader, so two copies, though I have only bought the rights to one. Do I infringe any copyright just because I don't delete from my computer when I transfer to the reader?
And does all this discussion even matter?
Nope. Doesn't matter in the slightest. And I certainly have no "moral problem" with it.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #25
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:

All of which are incidental copies that are created in the act of using or transferring the content. None of which is what copyright was really meant to cover.

If they are loaning to multiple people at the same thing, that would be bad. If they want to read the eBook at the same time their mother is, that would be bad. The stuff you're talking about is just the nature of how digital files work. It's a technicality and has nothing to do with the spirit of copyright. What you're talking about is the same thing as opening an application to read the eBook, which then loads another copy into RAM (oh no!).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #26
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:

Perhaps the original poster would prefer to amend his statement to say "only one other person has copies". I'd be fine with that.
Okay Harry let's go along with your silly argument, because it is.

Let's analyze the implicates of what you are trying to say. Since what you imply that that act of just deleting is not enough where do we stop?

First off book loaded in memory resides there for some time, is person required to reboot.
What about the physical disc drive. Just deleting it is not enough, as a SW recovery program can recover the eBook.

What about companies who sell eBooks, if they relocate the file stating from one directory to another, or backup their servers. Are they required to pay out twice?

Most DRM allow one to register multiple devices to one account. What if each eBook reader loads that book according to you their in CopyRight violation and so is the Company that allows this since CopyRight is own by the author/publisher not the DRM licensee. Does the company payout for every copy made?

Question here is what is the moral difference between having two devices registered to one account and sharing a book that way and sending one out to your mother?

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Let's analyze the implicates of what you are trying to say. Since what you imply that that act of just deleting is not enough where do we stop?
No, I didn't say that at all. Perhaps I misread the original post, but I believe that the original poster has given his mum a copy while retaining the book himself, and has made no attempt to delete it from his own machine. My apologies if I've misunderstood the intent.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #28
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
My inlaws have separate Amazon accounts, and didn't want to create another, so they are trading their respective kindles back and forth. This is what we are reduced to.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Actually, it works like this...

Mother receives a copy in e-mail - that's one additional copy
email program decodes that attachment and saves it to hard disk - still one copy
Mother copies the book to an eBook reader - that's two copies.

So you've overstated things by one copy
Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #30
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
No, he did not claim that. He claimed that there were only only one copy floating around which is true definitely in a legal/broad sense but also according to me in a technical sense since old files not used on a hard disk are not floating around.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote