Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2019, 06:53 AM   #1
vann
vann began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Smile Kindle 3 Keyboard, questions and dilemmas in 2019

Hello,

Once upon a time I frequented this forum and used it's wealth of information to improve my e-book reading experience. Back than I wanted to do many of the hacks and modifications, but in the end I settled on the stuff that didn't require doing the jailbreak.

I am still using my beloved reader device for all this years. Remarkable and robust device this Kindle 3 Keyboard, still going strong even though I had to replace the screen (in my stupidity I sat on the reader and broke the screen). I have a newer Kindle now, and I frequently check on newer devices, but I still prefer and use this one.

Right now I have hundreds and hundreds of books and the GUI has become somewhat slower, with the real problem being the book listing organization (Calibre's Collection addon stopped working for me). So since I have too many read books that I won't be revisiting anytime soon, I thought maybe I should reset the Kindle, or use Calibre to delete the books. Also since there are no more software updates, I'd like to do the jailbreak and do those hacks I wanted to do long time ago.
But before I do something stupid, I wanted to ask for advice and opinions what is the best thing to do. So I have some questions, and will be thankful for any input on those.

- Is it better to factory reset the Kindle, or simply delete the books? Which will result in faster GUI? My library is safely backed up.
- Currently I am using FW version 3.3, should I first update to latest 3.4.2 prior to jailbreak? I might want to use the Kindle Comic Converter, and I read that it requires the latest FW update. Yet if jailbreak doesn't work on latest 3.4.2 FW...
- I would very much like to use KOreader but I can't find much info on it's usability on Kindle Keyboard other than there's no support for the older Kindles version. I don't mind the nuances of using the keyboard to install and configure KOreader settings, but does it actually work on K3?
- Should I install Rescue Pack and/or Cowards Rescue Pack, any cons?
- Should I downgrade to older version of Calibre, or is there maybe some other way to better organize the book titles and collections? Some kind of folder view would be perfect.

Maybe it would have been better to ask the questions in existing threads (like NiLuJe's excellent Hack thread) but I thought maybe it would be more useful for owners of older Kindle devices to have one separate thread with current info. I'm sure there are still some of us out there, having these same questions and not finding it in one place. So even if I have to hunt for info in other threads I will still report back here and try to conclude the subject.
Thanks for any input, your thoughts are appreciated.
vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Maybe this should go to the dev forum?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
vann

I wasn't sure where to post it, since part are general questions and the other part is for the Developer's Corner...
Old 01-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I suggest asking the jailbreaking/dev questions in a separate thread in the dev forum.

For the general questions:

* Doing a factory reset will be 'better' than just deleting the books, since you're guaranteed that any extra files/indexes will also get deleted.

* I would certainly recommend updating to the latest firmware for the Kindle Keyboard, as that will get you AZW3 support.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
* That won't solve the sluggishness if you end up putting the exact same amount of books right back in, though .

More data => slower Library UI, there's no way around that .

* Yup, latest FW recommended (read 3.4 whenever the JailBreak thread forgets to mention anything > 3.2). As @pdurrant said, you'll indeed want KF8 support for KCC .

* Barring minor usability issues in some corner-cases, KOReader should be pretty usable on non-Touch devices nowadays.

* No RP/CRP on FW < 5.x, so, dilemma avoided .

* There shouldn't be any issues with current Calibre & Kindle Collections Plugin versions. If you encounter any, give me a shout in the KCP thread with more details.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #6
vann

Thanks, much obliged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
* Yup, latest FW recommended (read 3.4 whenever the JailBreak thread forgets to mention anything > 3.2). As @pdurrant said, you'll indeed want KF8 support for KCC .
OK got it, 3.4=3.2 as far as jailbreak guide is concerned.
So factory reset and updates first, jailbreak second, hacks 3rd, and KOReader 4th - right?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:05 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@vann: Yup!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, hacks, jailbreak, kindle keyboard, koreader