Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #2296
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Arthur C. Clarke's 3001: The Final Odyssey, the fourth 'Space Odyssey' book and the final solo book he wrote, is on sale at Amazon for $1.99: 3001: The Final Odyssey
I got all the "2001" books cheap a few years back. Good stuff. I know this is slightly off topic, but it seems that the 2001 there now is a different one than I bought (different publisher)? The one I got no longer has an Amazon page. Any idea what exactly is going on, and if there's a way to get this updated version?

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #2297
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
When I click on Amazon.co.uk links, it takes me to Amazon.co.uk. I just checked it with the links provided for The Man With One of those Faces in the mystery thread.
Yes, amazon.co.uk links work when viewed outside the UK, but amazon.com links don't work the same way when viewed from outside the US.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #2298
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
It really astonishes me that publishers still haven't caught on that geo-restrictions loose them sales.
But that's exactly why they insist on enforcement of geo-restrictions -- UK publisher doesn't want to lose sales to US publisher of the same book (or vice versa) and similar situations.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #2299
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
I got all the "2001" books cheap a few years back. Good stuff. I know this is slightly off topic, but it seems that the 2001 there now is a different one than I bought (different publisher)? The one I got no longer has an Amazon page. Any idea what exactly is going on, and if there's a way to get this updated version?
I thought I remembered 2001 being published by Rosetta at one point. Checking Amazon now, all the rest are Rosetta, but 2001 is showing Ace as the publisher. Goodreads does show there was a Rosetta version of 2001. Maybe that's the one you bought?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:45 PM   #2300
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
My opinion: If it's gratuitous then it does nothing to develop characters and nothing to advance the plot. It's dead weight. The existence of dead weight makes me question the competence of author and editor. Persistence across a larger body of work can cause me to drop an author from my reading list entirely.
Tomato/tomato. George Romero's zombie movies are very violent. I suppose you could say they're gratuitously violent. But then that's George's ethos, man. I'd be hard pressed to say (the original) Dawn of the Dead should be skipped by any movie-lover because it is too violent.

I haven't read The Barrow yet, but this discussion has made me curious. I think I'll read it next. As someone more famous than me said: “Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.”
Advert
Old 01-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #2301
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I thought I remembered 2001 being published by Rosetta at one point. Checking Amazon now, all the rest are Rosetta, but 2001 is showing Ace as the publisher. Goodreads does show there was a Rosetta version of 2001. Maybe that's the one you bought?
Yes, mine is Rosetta. How come this one isn't available to buy anymore? When I buy a new Kindle, will I be able to download 2001 again, even though I don't own the one currently available?

-HM
Old 01-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #2302
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Yes, mine is Rosetta. How come this one isn't available to buy anymore? When I buy a new Kindle, will I be able to download 2001 again, even though I don't own the one currently available?

-HM
It should show up on your amazon "devices and contents" page, and you should be able to download it.

Presumably, Rosetta only had the e-book rights for a limited time and now someone else does.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #2303
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
But that's exactly why they insist on enforcement of geo-restrictions -- UK publisher doesn't want to lose sales to US publisher of the same book (or vice versa) and similar situations.
What UK publisher? In many cases (like Jo Clayton), there's never been a UK publisher for that particular book.

Take Glen Cook, the only UK publisher who has any of his work in print is Gollancz and that's only the first Black Company collection. No other book appears to be in print in the UK apart from The Tower of Fear (apparently from Tor US). Tor UK doesn't even list Glen Cook in their list of authors.

I asked Tor US when Glen Cook's back catalogue would be available in ebook in the UK and never got a reply so I guess the UK rights are in a mess or being squatted on. I should have picked up the Black Company collections when Baen were selling them a while back - I picked up the collected Dread Empire omnibii at that point, but didn't get the Black Company omnibii as well (I think I must have been short of cash and could only afford one).

It is so irritating I see the French, German and Spanish translations on Amazon UK, but not the English versions - which are available in Europe excluding the UK.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #2304
Hollow Man
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It should show up on your amazon "devices and contents" page, and you should be able to download it.

Presumably, Rosetta only had the e-book rights for a limited time and now someone else does.
As long as I can always download it, that's great, but one has to wonder if the rights are no longer with that publisher, how long Amazon will keep it on their servers.

-HM
Old 01-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #2305
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
As long as I can always download it, that's great, but one has to wonder if the rights are no longer with that publisher, how long Amazon will keep it on their servers.
Amazon has a huge collection of books that are no longer for sale for one reason or another. They remain available to customers who purchased them when they were for sale. That isn't likely to ever change.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:19 PM   #2306
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:

-HM
Yes you will be able to download it.

My copy of A Fall of Moondust is by Rosetta but it has an ASIN of B00AHGE4Q8 whereas the one showing in the Kindle store now has an ASIN of B07H18VSWK and is also by Rosetta.

I have noticed that some publishers seem to change the ASIN when ebooks go on sale or for free temporarily.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #2307
Hollow Man
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Amazon has a huge collection of books that are no longer for sale for one reason or another. They remain available to customers who purchased them when they were for sale. That isn't likely to ever change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Yes you will be able to download it.
Thanks everyone!

-HM
Old 01-23-2019, 04:25 PM   #2308
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
My opinion: If it's gratuitous then it does nothing to develop characters and nothing to advance the plot. It's dead weight. The existence of dead weight makes me question the competence of author and editor. Persistence across a larger body of work can cause me to drop an author from my reading list entirely.
That's the reason I avoid paranormal romance as a rule (and romance in general).

I will say I thought the sex in The Barrow was frequently kinky going on (BD)SM. I tolerated it as it's a fantasy novel, but if it was set in a realistic situation (modern or historical) I would have badged the book as more hard core than erotic. As I mentioned earlier, some of it had bearing on the plot, but some I thought not. Artesia (the comic) is definitely 18+, but some of the sex in The Barrow I thought went a lot further. (And before you ask, I have read some of the Marquis' output - some of which I thought was tolerable, but mostly off-putting or plain tedious.)
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:50 PM   #2309
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
What UK publisher? In many cases (like Jo Clayton), there's never been a UK publisher for that particular book.

Take Glen Cook, the only UK publisher who has any of his work in print is Gollancz and that's only the first Black Company collection. No other book appears to be in print in the UK apart from The Tower of Fear (apparently from Tor US). Tor UK doesn't even list Glen Cook in their list of authors.

I asked Tor US when Glen Cook's back catalogue would be available in ebook in the UK and never got a reply so I guess the UK rights are in a mess or being squatted on. I should have picked up the Black Company collections when Baen were selling them a while back - I picked up the collected Dread Empire omnibii at that point, but didn't get the Black Company omnibii as well (I think I must have been short of cash and could only afford one).

It is so irritating I see the French, German and Spanish translations on Amazon UK, but not the English versions - which are available in Europe excluding the UK.
Off the top of my head, something like GRRM's US publisher is Bantam Spectra in the US and Harper Voyager in the UK. The Wheel of Time series is Tor in the US, but Orbit in the UK. All depends on where they've bought the rights for.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:28 PM   #2310
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Now I threw out a perfectly good Dawn of the Dead reference hoping you would chime in, but no joy

Now that I'm home, I also have the Rosetta 2001. I hadn't paid attention, but I did remember the cover style matching the cover of the just purchased 3001.