Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-21-2016, 05:40 AM   #1
Tylerhav
Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle fire
Fire HD 8 2016

So the fire HD 8 2016 tablets came out today! Just wondering how everyone likes it?

This is a new fire HD tablet thread!
Tylerhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I want it as I want the 32GB internal storage but trying to wait for John Lewis to stock it as they offer a two year warranty.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

Device: kindle Kbd, Fire(N2A), & 8.9
Mine came about 2 hours ago. My "old" Kindle Fire 8.9 (the original 8.9, i.e. No HD display)was too old to have the Backup and Restore support, so am rebuilding and playing.

All the apps I've installed have put themselves on the SD card, so that part is nice.
cicsos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:47 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicsos2 View Post
Mine came about 2 hours ago. My "old" Kindle Fire 8.9 (the original 8.9, i.e. No HD display)was too old to have the Backup and Restore support, so am rebuilding and playing.

All the apps I've installed have put themselves on the SD card, so that part is nice.
I'd be interested in how it performs, if you get any lag at all. Thanks
Old 09-22-2016, 07:33 AM   #5
Tylerhav
Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle fire
Its VERY Fast! No lag what so ever! Battery life is awesome!
Tylerhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got the 32gb Version added 128gb card, I think its a pretty solid tablet for the money, i had the HD10 and returned it because the screen on that large of a tablet was poor, but 1280x720 on an 8 inch is fine, I like how they replaced the glossy backs with a rough back thats more grippable and is not a fingerprint magnet
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Has anyone opened a book on it yet, how is the screen?
Old 09-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Ohhh, what a very appropriate ebook to suggest to me, at the bottom of the page where I was looking at this new Fire tablet:

"Shiny Objects: Why We Spend Money We Don't Have in Search of Happiness We Can't Buy"

I tried the Fire 6 (not HD, I think) and returned it within a week, because I was used to the responsiveness of my two iPads. Since I still have those, there's probably no reason whatsoever for me to be even browsing this device .....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #9
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

Hows the Reader screen

The default is black on white.

To change the font information, including the back on white - tap on the center of the screen. After having used a paperwhite for two years, i was used to a different technique.

My general impression is positive on the reader functionality.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Ohhh, what a very appropriate ebook to suggest to me, at the bottom of the page where I was looking at this new Fire tablet:

"Shiny Objects: Why We Spend Money We Don't Have in Search of Happiness We Can't Buy"

I tried the Fire 6 (not HD, I think) and returned it within a week, because I was used to the responsiveness of my two iPads. Since I still have those, there's probably no reason whatsoever for me to be even browsing this device .....
I don't really need it either as i have an iPad mini 4 and a Samsung tab s2 8 but I want a quick and easy route to text to speech, plus having a play with Alexa tempts me. .

Its funny I don't like reading in the kindle app on either of my tablets yet i really enjoyed reading on the Fires i've had in the past.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The default is black on white.

To change the font information, including the back on white - tap on the center of the screen. After having used a paperwhite for two years, i was used to a different technique.

My general impression is positive on the reader functionality.
Thank you. Is the text clear enough to read, or does it have fuzziness?
Old 09-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #12
cicsos2
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Thank you. Is the text clear enough to read, or does it have fuzziness?
Very clear. I have been playing around with the various fonts and sizes and have not noticed that type of problem.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Very clear. I have been playing around with the various fonts and sizes and have not noticed that type of problem.
Thank you. I had the Fire 7 for a few weeks and while I could read on it without any issues the text did get a bit fuzzy so I was hoping for a better screen with this model. I just need to wait now to buy one from a local retailer as I have a real aversion to buying a tablet from Amazon, even their own.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

According to Amazon's specs the 7" Fire has 171 ppi and the new 8" has 189 ppi, which frankly is not much better. Either of those ancient ppi resolutions would give me a headache if reading for more than a few minutes. My Fire HD 6" has 252 ppi, and that is pretty good to read on without any eye fatigue even though it is still below my iPhone and iPad Mini 2. This is 2016 and Amazon is still using PC monitor resolutions on tablets when nearly everyone else has long since moved up to much higher definition.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
This is 2016 and Amazon is still using PC monitor resolutions on tablets when nearly everyone else has long since moved up to much higher definition.
They used to offer the higher ppi's, but dumped them in favor of making cheaper tablets for the masses. The 339 ppi/2560x1600 pixel screen on my 8.9" HDX from 2013 is great.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote