Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
jabomano
jabomano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Custom Fonts On Kindle Oasis

Can I load different styles of the same font on my Oasis? Examples would be bold, italic, bold italic, medium, medium italic regular, semi bold, semi bold italic and so on of the same font. I've tried but can only upload 1 variety of a font. I even tried changing the name slightly.

Thanks.
jabomano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabomano View Post
Can I load different styles of the same font on my Oasis? Examples would be bold, italic, bold italic, medium, medium italic regular, semi bold, semi bold italic and so on of the same font. I've tried but can only upload 1 variety of a font. I even tried changing the name slightly.

Thanks.
You can: just stick them all in the custom fonts directory and it should just work. (What fonts have you tried?)

Note that you'll only see one font in the font chooser: italic etc will be used as appropriate. i.e. you can't get a book to be typeset entirely in italics without editing the font to make the italic version appear to be a non-italic one, but you can upload italic and non-italic variants and the italic will be used as appropriate. The system will synthesise italic and bold if need be, but the synthesised versions usually look quite a lot worse than the real thing.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think there is some metadata in the font files that groups them into a ‘family’, not just the file name. If the metadata is not right then you may see separate fonts instead. I remember running into this with some fonts I was playing with. There might be some way to fix it, but I just removed the ones that didn’t work as I expected.

At minimum you need Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic. You can have others, but I don’t know if they will ever get used.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-24-2019 at 09:21 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:30 PM   #4
jabomano

I can only get 1 font type to work at a time and it's either regular or bold. I can't load regular and bold at the same time and get them to work separately
Old 01-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Usually you need the different font types in order to show italics, for example, where the author has written that part of a book in italics. The same for other aspects, such as bold titles etc. If there isn't a bold version of the font in the font file, the boldness won't render.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #6
jabomano

Thanks to everyone.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
What you can do, if a font seems a bit too thin, is to use medium instead of regular. The keyword is "instead". Don't upload both the regular and the medium, then only the regular will get used. But if you upload the medium and not the regular, you should get the medium type for ordinary text. The same goes for medium italic.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #8
jabomano

I'll do that Sirtel. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
yep just drop into font folder when kindle is connected to a pc
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote