Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-20-2019, 12:08 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Paperwhite 2018 Battery Issues

I bought the new Kindle Paperwhite 2018 2 weeks ago and for the last couple of days the battery has been running down to nearly flat after I have charged it, read for a while and come back to it the next day.

Any helpful tips?
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:16 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Did you load a bunch of books on it? Indexing uses up quite a bit of power. I usually leave mine to charge overnight for a couple of days after loading a lot of books.

Also, it seems to me that wifi uses more power on the PW4 compared to older models so I'm more mindful to keep airplane mode enabled on the PW4.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:25 AM   #3
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Did you load a bunch of books on it? Indexing uses up quite a bit of power. I usually leave mine to charge overnight for a couple of days after loading a lot of books.

Also, it seems to me that wifi uses more power on the PW4 compared to older models so I'm more mindful to keep airplane mode enabled on the PW4.
No I didn't actually. I only turn on wifi when I download books and then turn it off straight away
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
It might be that you have a book stuck indexing. You can test that by doing a search from the home screen of some nonsense word such as "zizicoot". If it tells you that's indexing that's your answer. If not then I don't know.

I have 2 of the new Paperwhites and they did get a little less battery life but not much. Then I did the latest updates on my Paperwhite 3's last week and they also now get a little less battery life. So that's part of it. But battery life isn't bad. Just not as good as the older firmware.

Another thing I've noticed is that after I updated the Paperwhite 3's their touch screens were less sensitive. That's been true of the Paperwhite 4's also. This, to me, is a good sign because if it's a firmware issue they can fix it.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, the search trick might not catch every kind of indexing shenanigans.

I recently updated my PW2 from 5.8.1 () to 5.9.7 to test some stuff, and it spent a couple hours indexing... stuff? that never showed in a search, but I definitely saw in the logs (which lead me to realize that the indexer was hilariously struggling with those files, given the amount of segfaults ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:16 PM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
FWIW, the search trick might not catch every kind of indexing shenanigans.

I recently updated my PW2 from 5.8.1 () to 5.9.7 to test some stuff, and it spent a couple hours indexing... stuff? that never showed in a search, but I definitely saw in the logs (which lead me to realize that the indexer was hilariously struggling with those files, given the amount of segfaults ).
How do you get segfaults under linux unless there is a horrible bug in the indexer? Nevermind, I probably just answered that myself. The indexer has a giant bug. But in all seriousness, shouldn't the compiler have caught that?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:33 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was also throwing vast amounts of undefined instructions before that, because the more the merrier, I guess? ;D.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
How do you get segfaults under linux unless there is a horrible bug in the indexer? Nevermind, I probably just answered that myself. The indexer has a giant bug. But in all seriousness, shouldn't the compiler have caught that?
Segfaults can can come from operating on bad data. Compilers can't tell whether there is code in place to guard against out of range input or whether the algorithm is correct.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:42 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Which is why fuzzing is all the rage these days .
Old 01-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Which is why fuzzing is all the rage these days .
Yeah, but like most companies, amazon is more interested in adding new misfeatures than fixing bugs. I wasn't excusing segfaults, just saying don't expect compilers to find the causes.

Hmm, so the term fuzzing dates to 1988, but I had never seen that name for the concept, which goes back much earlier. (But it came up as the first hit on a web search on fuzzing.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote