Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
celticgirl
Enthusiast
celticgirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo SONY
SONY PRS 900

I received my new used SONY PRS 900 today and I L-O-V-E it! Perfect reading device for me. So much better than that flimsy Kobo which only lasted me 3 years and I was never super impressed with. Yes a 10.3 would be wonderful so I could read my academic journal articles nicely, but oh well not laying out $400.
celticgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #2
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
That is a very nice reader. If the screen wasn't quite so glarey it'd be better. Love the built in case for it. It's such a good looking solid reader.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
celticgirl
Enthusiast

I am so pleased with it! And so easy to change out the battery!! What a bonus! Yes, I love the case too! I have a Sony T1, but it needs a new battery - I think. However, my T1 died a week before vaca, so I had to act quickly and settled for the KOBO. It did the job, but it always felt so flimsy.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:19 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
That is a very nice reader. If the screen wasn't quite so glarey it'd be better. Love the built in case for it. It's such a good looking solid reader.
Also one of the few (if not the ONLY) eReader designed for easy battery replacement by the user.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-eBook-...from=R40&rt=nc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE5-L5O94Q4

Well built, solid, eReader.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:20 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticgirl View Post
I am so pleased with it! And so easy to change out the battery!! What a bonus!
Oops ... sorry for the redundancy. I see you already found out about the replaceable battery.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #6
celticgirl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Oops ... sorry for the redundancy. I see you already found out about the replaceable battery.
No worries! That is such a major bonus! The device came with e-books already on there. I read from it last night. Loved it!

I'm wondering though, the device has a sim card and connected with the sony ereader store. With that gone now, will I be able to connect using a general browser? For example, to project gutenberg?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wasn't able to make the 3g go anywhere on mine. The last Sony software that updates to the Kobo store was only for the T series.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #8
celticgirl
Enthusiast

Yeah, mine isn't connecting either. I think the 950 would though. A little bit of a bummer, but I"m still happy overall. I seldom downloaded books from my other ereaders. It's just faster on my macbook. I should list the kobo in the flea market for parts and be done with it. I wish Sony would have keep just one ereader- the 900 series!

Last edited by celticgirl; 08-14-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #9
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer

I can't get the 3G on my 950 to go anywhere either.

I started out with a 600 and just got used to downloading to my computer and transferring to the reader that way so I never have downloaded directly to any of my Sony readers. I have with the Nooks and Kindle but I like having that backup on my computer. I still download everything and put it in Calibre right away and then transfer to whatever Sony I'm reading on currently.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:46 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Yeah, mine isn't connecting either. I think the 950 would though.
No. I don't think there's any 3G service connected to these readers at all. I think that ended when the Sony bookstore went out business and moved their customers to Kobo. So you're not losing any connectivity features using the 900 rather than the 950.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:51 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I can't get the 3G on my 950 to go anywhere either.
Not on mine either. I'm guessing Sony shut down their 3G accounts when they shut down the Sony Reader Store.

Quote:
I started out with a 600 and just got used to downloading to my computer and transferring to the reader that way so I never have downloaded directly to any of my Sony readers. I have with the Nooks and Kindle but I like having that backup on my computer. I still download everything and put it in Calibre right away and then transfer to whatever Sony I'm reading on currently.
I like to being able to directly download books from the Kobo Store to my T2.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #12
celticgirl
Enthusiast

I'm okay with it. I really like my 900. I'm going to venture and put a PDF academic journal article on it just to see how the 900 handles it. Although I already know, I like to see the whole page.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:21 PM   #13
celticgirl
Enthusiast

Here I am just a few months later... my PRS 900 slid onto the floor and now there is a I think it's referred to as a ghost part of the page that won't go away.

Tell me, I ruined it , didn't I? (

Can anyone advise me on how to find someone who repairs?
Old 12-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Here I am just a few months later... my PRS 900 slid onto the floor and now there is a I think it's referred to as a ghost part of the page that won't go away.

Tell me, I ruined it , didn't I? (

Can anyone advise me on how to find someone who repairs?
Sounds like you broke the substrate, unfortunately. I guess it could be a loose ribbon cable, but I'm betting on the substrate. (I hope I lose the bet.)