Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #46
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
I'm sure they wouldn't enforce this rule if it didn't truly pose a risk to the functioning of the plane.
I take it you've never heard of security theater? The rule is arbitrary and only there in order for them to enforce a rule so you can think you're safe. There's no actual risk, and as such I never bother to turn off my electronics. If the flight attendant asks I will show him/her that the screen is "off", but that's it.

I do switch my iPhone over to airplane mode once I'm in the air, but only because it significantly drains the battery if I don't. However I keep it in full wireless mode during takeoff and landing. There's no reason not to.

Last edited by toddos; 06-28-2010 at 12:39 AM.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #47
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
On my Delta flight when I went to Disney World in April they specifically asked that any Kindle's and like devices not be used during take off/landing and that the wireless be turned off.

Same with me.

It was a nuisance, so I stole some skinny woman's paperback book while she was taking care of her brat. It was a horrible book, by the way.

(The second paragraph is untrue, of course.)

Don

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #48
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must admit that I do find this "the rules don't apply to me" attitude a little discouraging. I take the view personally that if you travel by air, you accept the "rules" that accompany air travel. It doesn't matter whether or not they make any sense; by choosing to fly, you are implicitly (and legally, for that matter) agreeing to abide by the rules.
Agreed - this does seem to bring out the worst in people.

All too many seem to feel that a complete absence of technical understanding of the technologies involved, coupled with a skewed sense of their own statistical relevance ("I left my cellphone on once, and the plane didn't crash, so it must be OK") allows them to ignore, for their own convenience, a rule created by people with at least some level of understanding.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #49
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Just put it in your bag. Like they're going to care as long as you're not blatantly reading it in front of them.

And yes, aircraft need EM shielding checks more often. Said this before too...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #50
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It seems people are much more belligerent when they defend their "right to use whatever device I want in the plane", than when figthing the "security" measures in airports (as in waiting in a line for hours, being searched and undressed, not being allowed to bring a water bottle or small scissors inside, absence of comfortable places to sit down and wait...)

Not turning off electronic devices when asked to is akin to saying: I don't have to pass through the scanner, I'm not carrying a bomb or anything dangerous, so I'll just use this side door while nobody is watching.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #51
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
I must admit that I do find this "the rules don't apply to me" attitude a little discouraging. I take the view personally that if you travel by air, you accept the "rules" that accompany air travel. It doesn't matter whether or not they make any sense; by choosing to fly, you are implicitly (and legally, for that matter) agreeing to abide by the rules.
Agreed. Air travel is a privilege, not a right. We are not entitled to anything and if we don't want to follow a simple little rule like temporarily turning off our gadgets, we need to wake up or start taking the car everywhere.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #52
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

It's a commercial transaction, like most things. Not a "privilege", although there are plenty of greens who'd like to see it become so, these days.

Pressing the off switch and putting your kindle in its bag or simply putting it in it's bag makes zero difference to its actual activity level. Pressing the off switch is security theatre at its finest.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #53
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
My observation is that as a society we are so obsessed with being connected to something all the time that we can't even disconnect for the twenty minutes it takes to take off.

Take a chill pill, people. Relax and look out the window. Turn off and tune out for just a few minutes.
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #54
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It seems people are much more belligerent when they defend their "right to use whatever device I want in the plane", than when figthing the "security" measures in airports (as in waiting in a line for hours, being searched and undressed, not being allowed to bring a water bottle or small scissors inside, absence of comfortable places to sit down and wait...)

Not turning off electronic devices when asked to is akin to saying: I don't have to pass through the scanner, I'm not carrying a bomb or anything dangerous, so I'll just use this side door while nobody is watching.
Security Theater is precisely why I travel less than once a year now by plane. The fees have gone up atrociously, and the level of comfort has declined exponentially. This has helped my carbon footprint, but I really wish rail were an actual option in the US. Taking four days to go across the country by train (each way) is just not an option for most. Oh well, at least an eight hour drive by myself in a car now puts me in a state of zen as I contemplate the meaning of life instead of encouraging a stroke due to airport idiocy.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #55
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
Security Theater is precisely why I travel less than once a year now by plane. The fees have gone up atrociously, and the level of comfort has declined exponentially. This has helped my carbon footprint, but I really wish rail were an actual option in the US. Taking four days to go across the country by train (each way) is just not an option for most. Oh well, at least an eight hour drive by myself in a car now puts me in a state of zen as I contemplate the meaning of life instead of encouraging a stroke due to airport idiocy.
I sure hope you're not that zen'd out dude headin' toward me the wrong way on the highway
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Pressing the off switch and putting your kindle in its bag or simply putting it in it's bag makes zero difference to its actual activity level. Pressing the off switch is security theatre at its finest.
You are told to turn it off. Putting it into "sleep" mode is not turning it off. This is plain English - is it really so difficult for people to understand?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:03 AM   #57
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
You are told to turn it off. Putting it into "sleep" mode is not turning it off. This is plain English - is it really so difficult for people to understand?
Is that a serious question?

Are you aware of how many people think that putting it into sleep mode IS turning it off?

Do you think that someone who turns it 'off' by putting it into sleep mode and putting it away is going to
a) cause a panic or
b) cause a crash?
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:08 AM   #58
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
It has never even occurred to me to shutdown my iPod, 505, etc... on a plane.
They say turn it off, I press the off button and stop using it.
Certainly on no flight I've been on have they ever made a point of saying to shut something down rather than turn it off, and given the sheer number of iPods/iPhones/etc... out there they must have thought of it.
I'd guess a majority of iPod owners don't even know you can do a full shutdown.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #59
DawnFalcon
Banned

Quote:
Great, now, to be clear you're making a personal commitment to teach every air stewardess how to turn every device off? Remembering that some device don't switch off, and most people don't KNOW how to switch their ereaders fully off.

Security Theatre. They care about not seeing you "misbehaving", nothing else.

You're being an ass for the sake of being an ass as per absolutely flipping usual.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #60
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfedelem View Post
My observation is that as a society we are so obsessed with being connected to something all the time that we can't even disconnect for the twenty minutes it takes to take off.

Take a chill pill, people. Relax and look out the window. Turn off and tune out for just a few minutes.

Absolutely. I live in NYC and everyone here is in a rush, talking on their cellphones, texting, running for the train, etc...

To where? An early grave? More time spent disconnected is prescribed by a lot of authors and after having tried it, I totally agree. But sadly, it's something we could all probably use more of, but don't think we need.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote