Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-16-2016, 12:05 AM   #61
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I switched to ebooks when the arthritis in my thumbs made it difficult to hold anything bigger than a 250 page paperback.
This ^ 11.22.63 made my hands hurt so much I bought my K2 and haven't looked back.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:38 AM   #62
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Storage space and traveling, eBooks are (for me) the only way to go.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2016, 12:51 AM   #63
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I didn't even know what a E-Reader was till I started hearing about Nooks! On Advice I went with them over Kindles By Mistake. I wanted something I could use with Public Library. 2nd mistake I didn't know my Library Didn't have any e-books! They do now cause of all the hell I raised Any way Both Nooks Broke out of box No Library use.. I gave up. That was in Oct 2010. Ordered my 1st K3 Jan 18th 2011.
1st was With both of us having Bad backs & spent a Month recovering from a move...
2nd when reading it became harder & harder for me to hold the book. Dropped a few on poor Katie got so she refused to sleep with me! 3nd I switched to audiobooks a 1 -2 years before I just plain Missed Reading!
In addition to the above reasons my Eyes are Enjoying the Larger print my Body enjoys Not having ALL that extra weight to hold!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:04 AM   #64
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Don't any of you miss that wonderful smell of musty old books?
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:13 AM   #65
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Nope.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2016, 03:22 AM   #66
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Nope as I still have Newspapers around, Don't read them..for the dogs
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:29 AM   #67
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
As well as many of the reasons already given in this thread (principally storage space and portability), I also really appreciate the easy searchability of ebooks. I have a dreadful memory for names, so when a minor character reappears after a long absence I sometimes find it handy to do a quick search for earlier appearances of the name to remind myself who it is.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:52 AM   #68
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Hand arthritis and the need for adjustable font size, storage space and dust, carrying one little reader instead of two books everywhere I go, travelling (ditto but eight or nine books for a week away = they need their own bag), reading in my own font, search and collections features, borrowing library books without schlepping to the library, access to far more books than is available in paper in my town, Netgalley reading ... the list goes on.

Accessibility is the killer feature for me.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:55 AM   #69
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually, eBooks do take physical storage space. A flash drive, a hard drive, a CD, a DVD, blu-ray, Reader, phone, tablet, etc are all physical. You have to have someplace to store your eBooks. And that place is physical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
And all those things together take up the space of less than 20 books.
More like two books, assuming a portable hard drive. One if you don't have a tablet. (Who uses CDs and DVDs anymore?)
Old 03-16-2016, 05:23 AM   #70
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Paper books and I fell out - perhaps irrevocably. I mistreated them badly; threw them in to my bag, folded back the pages, I was even known to break a spine or two. In return, my books would spit out my bookmark so I lost my reading page, or even discard a page or two (my aforementioned breaking of spines may have contributed to that somewhat). Eventually, I gave up reading.

As an act of desperation, to get me in to reading again, someone kindly bought me an e-reader when Sony launched its range in the UK. I was hooked immediately and reading and I became bosom palls again.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:42 AM   #71
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Nope as I still have Newspapers around, Don't read them..for the dogs
Damn clever dogs.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:47 AM   #72
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
All those arguments over indie v tradpub and not one person so far has said they got an ereader to read indie novels

Got my first one for holiday reading.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #73
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
All those arguments over indie v tradpub and not one person so far has said they got an ereader to read indie novels
Well, not directly.
Read through the comments again and you'll see price mentioned a few times. Fanfic once or twice. Library ebooks. PD a lot. Avid readers get a lot more bang for their reading buck via digital, which justifies the expense of a reader.

(Besides, the prominent Indies show up in print often enough that it's not a big driver by itself. Not yet, anyway.)

The causality tends to run the other way--first you get into ebooks, then you discover all those new voices. It's the main reason the establishment is ticked at Amazon: all those cheap(er) books eating away at their second and third tier sellers. The Pattersons and Kings get their sales no matter what but for the rest...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #74
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Well, not directly.
Read through the comments again and you'll see price mentioned a few times. Fanfic once or twice. Library ebooks. PD a lot. Avid readers get a lot more bang for their reading buck via digital, which justifies the expense of a reader.
Yep - and I said "access to far more books than is available in paper in my town".

The indies I read are sometimes available on paper, but by mail order only - why do that when I could buy instantly online?

Oh and - my only local paper bookshop is inaccessible.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #75
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I did it because of all the cool kids were doing it and I didn't want them to think I was a loser.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote