Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
Curiousstudents
Curiousstudents began at the beginning.

Device: none
Why e-books?

Hey, what was your reason to switch to e-books from the original paper books?
Curiousstudents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:10 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Storage space. My house had double-stacked bookcases on every available wall. Ebooks use no (physical) storage space.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I started in the PDA era. So: a library in my pocket.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #4
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Storage space for me too. Cheaper to buy an e-reader than a new house Plus obviously makes having enough books to read on holiday super easy without having to fill up a suitcase.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Storage space for me too. Cheaper to buy an e-reader than a new house Plus obviously makes having enough books to read on holiday super easy without having to fill up a suitcase.
I can still remember packing for a beach trip years ago -- the entire back seat of the car was filled with stacks of books (for a week away from home)

Plus, our neighborhood suffers frequent extended power outages - I read by Coleman lantern for 6 weeks after Hurricane Fran went through - ereaders are a blessing to have in such times - with an adapter to recharge in the car of course ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I was held at gunpoint and forced to switch. I've since succumbed to Stockholm Syndrome, though, so I couldn't be happier, really.

Honestly, though; I can think of all kinds of advantages that convinced me to stay with ebooks (most of which only revealed themselves after the fact, TBH), but I started buying them for one reason and one reason alone: they were there and I'm a geek.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #7
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Ebooks were cheaper than paper counterparts plus many stories available in electronic form that aren't in paper form. Instant gratification too. Decide to buy a book and you download it and instantly have it. Beats ordering it and waiting for it to come in the mail.

Storage space is also a bonus. I had (still have) way too many paper books but it's getting better!
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I started in the PDA era. So: a library in my pocket.
Me too. I read for well over 10 years with Microsoft Reader on various Compaq (later HP) Pocket PC devices. I must have read well over 1000 books in total on such devices.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #9
charlyee
Book Addict
charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, iPad Air 2, Surface 3
The ease of being able to carry many many books.
charlyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hey, why not tell us this is a research question (according to your introduction).

And....hey, why not tell us the results of your research. That would be a very courteous gesture on your part - don't you think?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #11
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I switched because I wanted to use dictionaries when reading Englisch books.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #12
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Eyes. I have bad eyes, I've worn glasses since I was 5. Being able to increase the font size is a godsend!!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Me too. I read for well over 10 years with Microsoft Reader on various Compaq (later HP) Pocket PC devices. I must have read well over 1000 books in total on such devices.
My first HPC was the phillips velo 500. Built-in modem clinched the deal.
My favorite was the Jornada 560 with the flip cover. Best ergonomics ever, with the side-mounted paging button.

I went hog wild when I found the BLACK MASK site and found you could buy the full collection on disk, in multiple formats. I did.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Because it was there, and I am a techie that loves Science Fiction - Fantasy.

(OH, the major Boxes of books stacked around, bit also)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I went hog wild when I found the BLACK MASK site and found you could buy the full collection on disk, in multiple formats. I did.
Yep - same here . I devoured that DVD, and Gutenberg books.