Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #46
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Somebody decided to give you some Karma. [S]he used a calculator and computed exact amount to give to you so the resulting number of your Karma points is nice round number. Obviously such contributor must be able to give such amount of Karma points. Some users here can now give LOTS of points at once and obviously consider such "prank" amusing ;-)
kacir my friend. It's not a prank. note post #34

also note post #24 it is also not endless.

and when members post things others like others click the KARMA button.

I suppose it's a bit like *Yay! I've wanted the answer to that question and 'so an so' hands me the answer just like that.*

That's happened to me and I've seen it happen to others. Right in the middle of a melt down either someone hands you the answer or cheers you up while you wait.

Well worth karma in my books.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #47
sock puppet
Banned
sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: eSock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I give out 62,000 Karma per hit right now. I don't alter the amount of Karma I give so if a new persons posts something funny in the what are you drinking thread then I give them Karma. Karma really doesn't mean much so I fial to see why it is a big deal.
I went to the psychiatrist, and he says "You're crazy." I tell him I want a second opinion. He says, "Okay, you're ugly too!"
sock puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #48
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I really need a karmic analysis and karma acquisition advice. I'm afraid I'm going to be a Luddite in my next life!
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #49
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I see what she's saying - the math is rather screwy right now.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #50
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
I just looked at my karma....

Nobody likes me, everybody hates me,
Guess I'll go eat worms,
Long, thin, slimy ones; Short, fat, juicy ones,
Itsy, bitsy, fuzzy wuzzy worms.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #51
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Hey, a new way of bragging.

I have over 35 pages of Karma in my user control panel. I think there's 15 per page, so that's a total of 530 Karma adds. I've been a member for four years, so that's about 130 per year, or a little over one every three days.
I have 83 pages. That makes 1242 karma adds (the last page has only 12). That makes 2.2 per day. The average K value for each add is 18.4 K points.

That does not mean much as the k power has been steadily increasing since I joined. It is not a stationary process:
a) members with high k count tend to remain in MR and be active.
b) k is made of positive numbers so they just add and increase the k power.

It is actually more an exponential growth rather then a linear one.

It has been nice to go back and see my first k's, and for which reason they were given to me. I actually went through all of them. Very sweet.
It has been also interesting to see how the relation with other members has evolved in time.

Last edited by beppe; 08-10-2011 at 10:42 AM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #52
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
The odds of one person having karma ending in 3 zeros is 1/1000.

The odd of two random people having karma ending in 3 zeros is 1/1,000,000

Given the number of people just in this thread with karma ending in 3 zeroes - well, the odds of that are truly 'astronomical'.

So, something is going on -

1) sockpuppeting and/or collusion
2) hacking
3) a glitch in the karma system
4) someone with a lot of karma is intentionally rounding people's karma off

This sort of thing is *highly* unlikely to be random.

Since gastan and Tomekeeper have noticed something wrong with their own karma, I'm now less inclined to think it's number 1, although that does remain a possibility coupled with number 4.

Pdurrant, did you round my karma off? You're the only person who gave me karma since I took a screenshot of it yesterday.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #53
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
The odds of one person having karma ending in 3 zeros is 1/1000.

The odd of two random people having karma ending in 3 zeros is 1/1,000,000

Given the number of people just in this thread with karma ending in 3 zeroes - well, the odds of that are truly 'astronomical'.

So, something is going on -

1) sockpuppeting and/or collusion
2) hacking
3) a glitch in the karma system
4) someone with a lot of karma is intentionally rounding people's karma off

This sort of thing is *highly* unlikely to be random.

Since gastan and Tomekeeper have noticed something wrong with their own karma, I'm now less inclined to think it's number 1, although that does remain a possibility coupled with number 4.

Pdurrant, did you round my karma off? You're the only person who gave me karma since I took a screenshot of it yesterday.
You might be getting closer and closer. The rounding is very probably deliberate. Not only the rounding. Sometimes it is cute to build a nice sequence of digits. The best is to match karma with post count. It is not so simple though. There are glitches. Like odds and evens.

Yes something is going on. Definitely. There are people playing a game and having fun with it.
Now my post count is 4488. I like that very much. I might refrain from posting just to contemplate it, for a while. Why not.

Last edited by beppe; 08-10-2011 at 10:58 AM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #54
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Umm......
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #55
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeayers View Post

Guess I'll go eat worms,
Have some.... Now quit your complaining
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #56
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Umm......
Sorry, I was in a hurry to get to work and looked at my CP wrong.

Three other people gave me karma besides you.

Of course, the reason I took a screenshot was because I expected it.

Could be the sockpuppets trying to cover their tracks, as well.

Last edited by khalleron; 08-10-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #57
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
Have some.... Now quit your complaining
I knew that would work!!!! Thanks a million!

Does anyone else want me to stop complaining?
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #58
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I think someone is rounding off the numbers?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #59
khalleron
Kate

This just in - the user who first set off my red flags (17 posts and exactly 100,000 karma) has now been banned for being...

...yeah, a sock puppet.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=145458&page=4
Old 08-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #60
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeayers View Post

Guess I'll go eat worms,
Oh wow! I remember this from my childhood days. A little different though.

I eat worms all day.
First I bite the head off, then I suck the juice out,
Then I throw the skin away.

Yuk.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote