Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-11-2018, 02:54 AM   #1
quiquecd
quiquecd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle passport
Translators

I would like to have a field to enter the name of the translator of each book, but I can't find it in the metadata. A good translation is very important when you read books that were written in languages differents from your own. Can anybody add this field?

Thanks in advance
Enrique
quiquecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:31 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you keep your ebooks in calibre, you can add a custom column for Translator, but only Amazon can change the metadata they choose to have and display in their ebooks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I simply add (trans) to that persons name in the Authors column.
Calibre will keep these separate, even if the Translator is also a Author

(illus), (ed) are other flags.
The advantages:
1) the reader supports Author entries
2 No special columns
3) Calibre ignores stuff inside ( ), when computing Author_sort
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I simply add (trans) to that persons name in the Authors column.
Calibre will keep these separate, even if the Translator is also a Author

(illus), (ed) are other flags.
The advantages:
1) the reader supports Author entries
2 No special columns
3) Calibre ignores stuff inside ( ), when computing Author_sort
That's useful to know - I have a number of shared world, anthologies and serial box titles and it's a nuisance to sort these so that they all end up in the same series instead of scattered across multiple authors. I've been seriously thinking of creating a primary author column.

If you use the () flag, how does that author display in the author list in the left hand browser section?
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
If you use the () flag, how does that author display in the author list in the left hand browser section?
It will still be treated a different author name in the browser and for searches.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It will still be treated a different author name in the browser and for searches.
Then probably my export won't work:

Genre / Author Sort / Series & Index - subseries & index - Title sort - Author name - short fiction flag

I'm planning (when I have some time) to set up a primary author column and use that for the oddities in place of Author Sort.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Then probably my export won't work:

Genre / Author Sort / Series & Index - subseries & index - Title sort - Author name - short fiction flag

I'm planning (when I have some time) to set up a primary author column and use that for the oddities in place of Author Sort.
You are using Author_Sort
that does not get the ( ), only auhor
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, translator