Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-28-2018, 09:15 AM   #106
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
[...] Sadly, I think the other aspects you mention - attitude to women, to other nationalities and beliefs, tends to "go with the territory" as they say.
I think part of my problem was not expecting to like the book (as per my first post on this thread). I think that made me quite picky, and probably not entirely fair. For example I'm quite content to read Edgar Rice Burroughs' stories (to pick a random author publishing over roughly the same period); I see the problems and write them off as part of what you expect for the time. I was less inclined to do that for Hemingway. Aside from the very different nature of the stories, I suppose I also expected a writer with such a reputation to be a bit more insightful ... or something.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:01 AM   #107
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I finally got around to reading this. I had read it in high school so it's been a long time. I was ok, just ok, then and now. I was never a really a fan of his, or any of the 'naturalistic' writers as my high school english teach classified them.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert