Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-03-2017, 11:21 PM   #31
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
When I ejected the Kobo from within calibre, I was getting the eject error as though only one was being ejected. The Mac sees the Kobo and the expansion card as separate drives which is what I think the problem is.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:01 AM   #32
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
When I ejected the Kobo from within calibre, I was getting the eject error as though only one was being ejected. The Mac sees the Kobo and the expansion card as separate drives which is what I think the problem is.
And Calibre knows to do both (if it was found). Something is blocking. A/V?
Fix that problem and you should be happier
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #33
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A/V?

I'm begining to think there's an issue with the Kobo in any case:

It only charges when plugged into my phone charger not when connected to the computer and supposedly charging although I can transfer files with no problems (dodgy cable perhaps?)

And now the content of all my collections has mysteriously disappeared although it seems to see all the books loaded on the card but not any of the content I sideloaded the other day onto the main memory...

It looks like for some reason the firmware has updated and in doing so has deleted all my sideloaded content. Maybe I should send all my content to the card and just keep Kobo purchased content in main memory. Grrr...

So the question is do I drop a couple of hundred on an Aura One with 8 Gb onboard or go for a Boox C67 costing around £100 less and isn't turning into a walled garden. The advantage of an Android device is that I can go back to using an unofficial LibraryThing app that stores my catalogue off-line and FBReader which I used to use on my Nexus 7.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Your computer can only supply 500ma (1/2A) on a USB2 port.
Your Tablet charger is probably 1A or more. Theoretically, your device should detect the limited port capacity and drop to 'slow charge' mode.

OTOH If the USB port overloads, it will shut down (you should get a warning? )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:55 PM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
A/V?

I'm begining to think there's an issue with the Kobo in any case:

It only charges when plugged into my phone charger not when connected to the computer and supposedly charging although I can transfer files with no problems (dodgy cable perhaps?)
That's weird. The cable I have on my work desktop will sometimes only charge but not connect. I haven't seen a cable do the opposite. But, one of the ports on my laptop can be configured to supply power when the laptop is of. Only my Glo HD will connect to the computer when I use this port. The others will charge, but not see the computer. The other ports are OK.
Quote:

And now the content of all my collections has mysteriously disappeared although it seems to see all the books loaded on the card but not any of the content I sideloaded the other day onto the main memory...

It looks like for some reason the firmware has updated and in doing so has deleted all my sideloaded content. Maybe I should send all my content to the card and just keep Kobo purchased content in main memory. Grrr...
One of the recent flurry of firmware updates had a bug with collections when a particular type of sync was done. The bug cleared them. For purchased books, a later sync would bring the collections back, but for the sideloaded books, if couldn't. This should have been fixed, but if you updated to the bad firmware as a stepping stone, then you might have lost the collections.

But, you shouldn't be losing sideloaded books. Are the disappearing of the storage? Or just from the library? With the problems you have been having, the database might have been corrupted and recent changes not save. When the device restarted after the firmware update, it would have reread the database and that would effectively be an old version that didn't include the latest books. If you connect to the PC and eject, there is a good chance the books will be processed again. Unless they have disappeared completely.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2017, 12:50 AM   #36
maddz
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your computer can only supply 500ma (1/2A) on a USB2 port.
Your Tablet charger is probably 1A or more. Theoretically, your device should detect the limited port capacity and drop to 'slow charge' mode.

OTOH If the USB port overloads, it will shut down (you should get a warning? )
It's 500 mA - my phone is an old Alcatel clamshell, not a phablet. The computer is an old iMac so it only has USB2 & Firewire ports.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:01 AM   #37
maddz
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That's weird. The cable I have on my work desktop will sometimes only charge but not connect. I haven't seen a cable do the opposite. But, one of the ports on my laptop can be configured to supply power when the laptop is of. Only my Glo HD will connect to the computer when I use this port. The others will charge, but not see the computer. The other ports are OK.

One of the recent flurry of firmware updates had a bug with collections when a particular type of sync was done. The bug cleared them. For purchased books, a later sync would bring the collections back, but for the sideloaded books, if couldn't. This should have been fixed, but if you updated to the bad firmware as a stepping stone, then you might have lost the collections.

But, you shouldn't be losing sideloaded books. Are the disappearing of the storage? Or just from the library? With the problems you have been having, the database might have been corrupted and recent changes not save. When the device restarted after the firmware update, it would have reread the database and that would effectively be an old version that didn't include the latest books. If you connect to the PC and eject, there is a good chance the books will be processed again. Unless they have disappeared completely.
I did wonder about the firmware update. According to the Kobo, I am now using 4.3.8945 which doesn't appear to be the most recent version.

I'll try connecting again and see what happens - the recently sideloaded books in the main memory appear to have disappeared from the library, but the sideloaded books from the card are still there although one appears to have reverted to an old version of the title. I can't tell whether they're still in the storage or not.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:05 AM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did wonder about the firmware update. According to the Kobo, I am now using 4.3.8945 which doesn't appear to be the most recent version.
There is a 4.3.8966. I thought that everyone should have been getting this. But, I checked from here and my Glo HD is still being offered 4.3.8945. There are rules based on the affiliate and geo-location. Using the affiliate "Kobo", and the IP here at work, I would get 4.3.8945. Using the affiliate "FNAC", I would get 4.3.8966.
Quote:
I'll try connecting again and see what happens - the recently sideloaded books in the main memory appear to have disappeared from the library, but the sideloaded books from the card are still there although one appears to have reverted to an old version of the title. I can't tell whether they're still in the storage or not.
With the change in title, I'd be pretty sure they are still on the storage and that the database was corrupt and the earlier details were read when the device restarted. At this point, usually tell people to check the database with either the Kobo Utilities plugin or an SQLite management tool, but with the issues connecting to the device, that probably won't work. The fixes are to sign out of the Kobo account and then do the setup again, or do a factory reset.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:18 AM   #39
maddz
Wizard

And guess what - error communicating with device turns up again yet again.

Well, I think that inclines me to drop into Argos when I go into Huntingdon later on today and pick up an Aura One to try out. I know it's an extra £50 over the H2O, but double the onboard storage is a temptation along with the bigger screen real estate.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #40
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And guess what - error communicating with device turns up again yet again.
Is this with the SD card installed? Can you check without it?

And, something I have just thought. I'd like to see a device detection debug log. To get this, you need to disable the KoboTouch driver and then connect the device. Go into the Miscellaneous page of the preferences and press the "Debug device detection" button. Post the log so I can see what's in it.

Or have I asked for this before?
Quote:
Well, I think that inclines me to drop into Argos when I go into Huntingdon later on today and pick up an Aura One to try out. I know it's an extra £50 over the H2O, but double the onboard storage is a temptation along with the bigger screen real estate.
Can I congratulate you on your rationalisation for buying an Aura ONE? I've tried, but I can't come up with anything I think I can get past my wife.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #41
maddz
Wizard

I'll try and post something later this evening or tomorrow morning - himself is now back from work and I need to get our supper going fairly soon.

In the end I didn't get the Aura One as it's not returnable unless faulty, and the extra cost is not really justifiable at the moment. Also, I'm concerned I might have the same issues with the Aura as with the Touch and I'd prefer to keep my ereader as generic as possible.

So I'm looking at some basic 6" eInk Android 4.x devices instead - the Onyx Boox C67ML, the illumite, the inkBook (Classic or Prime) and the Icarus. All are round the £100 mark (as opposed to £190), all seem to have page turn buttons (capacitative screens don't work very well for me), onboard memory is 4 or 8 Gb, and some have front lights. I don't care about apps apart from FBReader and LibraryThing Browser which I'll sideload, so the Kindle, Kobo and Nook apps won't be needed, and Google Play store is irrelevant - I certainly don't get my books from there!
Old 04-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #42
maddz
Wizard

Oh, if you've got an optician's appointment soon, you could try 'the optician recommends the larger screen'!

I don't need the justification as it's my savings & redundancy money but I do need to be a little bit careful as I've got some more things to get for the house plus the car needs a service.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh, if you've got an optician's appointment soon, you could try 'the optician recommends the larger screen'!
Actually, I'm been thinking of using that excuse to buy the Aura ONE for her. Then I'd have one in the house to experiment on. Of course, whether I would be allowed to touch it or not is another matter.
Quote:
I don't need the justification as it's my savings & redundancy money but I do need to be a little bit careful as I've got some more things to get for the house plus the car needs a service.
Financially, it's not a problem here either. But, I look at the stack of other Kobo ereaders I have, and I think, "Do I really need another?"
Old 04-07-2017, 02:39 AM   #44
Nicolafred
Nicolafred began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Maddz, your kobo is fine. It's the calibre that's messing with your device. I've had the same problem again and again and it's DEFINITELY to do with ejecting the device from within calibre. I've resorted to making my own work around now as I've had to re-add my books several times. When they are ejected in a certain way the kobo works fine. Don't give up.
Nicolafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #45
maddz
Wizard

Nicolafred, I seem to get these errors whether I eject from calibre OR the Mac. As I say, I suspect it's to do with the way the Mac treats both the Kobo and the SD Card as separate devices and ejects them as such not a single device with an expansion card.

How are you ejecting your Kobo and card?

Anyway, the Touch is showing it's age (as am I) and I would prefer to have something with page turn buttons in any case (my dry skin means that capacitive screens don't always work very well for me - I have trouble with the iPad too but the bigger screen means it's less of a problem).