Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
NIRC
Enthusiast
NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2
Convert EPUB Fixed layout to Kindle

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to convert my fixed layout EPUB files to MOBI for Kindle Fire. Any idea how to do this?
NIRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I’d post in the ‘Kindle Format’ forum here (or maybe mod can move it there). What tools have you tried? Kindlegen? Calibre?

A ‘successful’ conversion, in my view, would be to PDF and not KF8 fixed layout (which is just a series of images and possibly panel view navigation coordinates). Kindle Textbook Creator tool can ‘kindlize’ the PDF, and lets you add embedded audio and video. And then the Kindle apps will let you search for text, knows about chapters and that sort of thing. And you can sell those in Kindle Store (if that’s the goal). I don’t think Send To Kindle accepts these — but have not tried lately. Of course Kindle apps can read PDF as well.

There should be FXL to PDF converters, as it seems it would be technically feasible and useful - but my quick search did not find any. But probably most people are using InDesign to create FXL, and it is trivial to create PDF with that.

Last edited by tomsem; 03-02-2018 at 01:17 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:25 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
For Fire you need the AZW3 format. This is according to Calibre. Give it a shot see what happens.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #4
NIRC
Enthusiast
NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NIRC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The same things happens as with MOBI in Calibre: the conversion process begins and stalls at 47% until—after a long time—it simply gives up.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Have you done a check to make sure there are no problems in the epubs? It might be that there is something wrong in the epub that is causing Calibre to get hung up. Or something in Calibre is corrupted and you need to re-install it. Or if the book has DRM that will keep it from converting. For that you need to consult Apprentice Alf though as posts that give detailed information about DRM removal aren't allowed here. Google is your friend there.

Last edited by crich70; 03-03-2018 at 08:35 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:15 AM   #6
NIRC
Enthusiast

Calibre fails at even the simplest conversion from epub "fixed layout" to any Kindle format. I tried other tools, but eventually extracted from the creators the admission that they, too, were incapable of doing this.
So, I will stick to "fixed layout" for Apple and go to PDF for Kindle.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:33 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIRC View Post
I have tried, unsuccessfully, to convert my fixed layout EPUB files to MOBI for Kindle Fire. Any idea how to do this?
Try converting with Kindlegen. Then you can use the KindleUnpack plugin with Calibre to split the Mobi/KF8 and try the KF8 version and see how that works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'd say the easiest thing to do with a fixed ePub would be to install an ePub reading app on the Fire that can handle fixed layout as opposed to trying to convert.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I was under the impression that all fixed layouts were one-way streets -- that a Kindle FF won't work on Apple, nor an Apple FF on Amazon.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:43 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIRC View Post
Calibre fails at even the simplest conversion from epub "fixed layout" to any Kindle format. I tried other tools, but eventually extracted from the creators the admission that they, too, were incapable of doing this.
So, I will stick to "fixed layout" for Apple and go to PDF for Kindle.
Stop all of this. Doesn't matter if you use Calibre, KG, KP, etc. You cannot convert a fixed-layout ePUB to a fixed-layout MOBI, and expect it to work. Fixed-layout coding is DEVICE-dependent. Whilst the ePUB3 coding that's emerged, of late, will work on iBooks, and KoboBooks (that's deliberate on Kobo's part), and arguably, on (most) Googleplay-available desktop readers, the FXL coding for Amazon an for B&N, for that matter, is completely and utterly different.

I'm not sure how you expect a PDF to work on a Fire. If you email it, or upload it, it will be converted into a reflowable MOBI, by the conversion engine/renderer. If you hack it, and load a PDF reader, then that's a different method.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:48 AM   #11
varshithpuli
varshithpuli began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I’d post in the ‘Kindle Format’ forum here (or maybe mod can move it there). What tools have you tried? Kindlegen? Calibre?

A ‘successful’ conversion, in my view, would be to PDF and not KF8 fixed layout (which is just a series of images and possibly panel view navigation coordinates). Kindle Textbook Creator tool can ‘kindlize’ the PDF, and lets you add embedded audio and video. And then the Kindle apps will let you search for text, knows about chapters and that sort of thing. And you can sell those in Kindle Store (if that’s the goal). I don’t think Send To Kindle accepts these — but have not tried lately. Of course Kindle apps can read PDF as well.

There should be FXL to PDF converters, as it seems it would be technically feasible and useful - but my quick search did not find any. But probably most people are using InDesign to create FXL, and it is trivial to create PDF with that.
hey is there a way to convert KDF files created using Kindle create application to KFX or anyother format readable on my IPad...

I used kindle create app to convert my PDF Fixed layout to KDF(which supports Highlighting and text selection) with some manual table of contents and I obviously don't want to publish that, so is there a way to side load that in any format and read on my IPAD

I have a KDF file is there a way to sideload it to my kindle app in IPAD
varshithpuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
So far as I know the Kindle app for iPad only supports AZK.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #13
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
So far as I know the Kindle app for iPad only supports AZK.
There is a way. K4iOS doesn't support KF8, but it does handle MOBi, AZK and KFX.

varshithpuli posted the same question to multiple forums. I answered in the KFX Output thread.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote