Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Acronyms in old books?

Hello

Right now I am scanning an old (german) kids book (the copyright on it is expired). However, in this book, they use some acronyms.

For example, "approx." instead of "approximately"

Or, to stay in the german language: a couple of times, the author writes "u.s.w." (und so weiter - this means "and so on"). Now I know stuff like this from newspapers with limited space, but in books? (Especially one from around 1910)

What do you think, should I change it to the full word(s) or should I use acronyms like in the print version? Personally, I think I should change it to the full word(s) but I want to hear your opinion. It would be different, if the meaning would change, but since the meaning stays the same ...
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:18 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Depends on your goal. I tend to keep it as-is as much as possible, since I want to reproduce the book. I also do not convert the old spelling of books to the new spelling or the old fashion of quotation marks to the new.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2014, 03:46 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I wouldn't call those acronyms, but abbreviations. Unlike Toxaris, my goal is not to reproduce an old book. Old books are not free from poor typesetting. They may be reprintings of older books, sometimes with changes without the author's knowledge/constent. In old times, the authors didn't care much about spelling, punctuation, etc. that was the typesetter's job, so being "true to the author's intent" does not necessarily include respecting all the typesetting.

I have in some cases replaces abbreviations with their full form (D. -> don, Sr. -> señor) (except when it's "reproducing" a visiting card or something like that), because I think that makes easier to read, it looks nicer, doesn't change the story or the style and, besides, I've seen new editions of the same works do the same. And, as explained above, I have no evidence the source digital text I start with is in any way closer to the author's wish.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I wouldn't call those acronyms, but abbreviations. Unlike Toxaris, my goal is not to reproduce an old book. Old books are not free from poor typesetting. They may be reprintings of older books, sometimes with changes without the author's knowledge/constent. In old times, the authors didn't care much about spelling, punctuation, etc. that was the typesetter's job, so being "true to the author's intent" does not necessarily include respecting all the typesetting.

I have in some cases replaces abbreviations with their full form (D. -> don, Sr. -> señor) (except when it's "reproducing" a visiting card or something like that), because I think that makes easier to read, it looks nicer, doesn't change the story or the style and, besides, I've seen new editions of the same works do the same. And, as explained above, I have no evidence the source digital text I start with is in any way closer to the author's wish.
For what it is worth I like your approach.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I would change things only if it were a work of science used currently, so that information would be more easily accessed. Otherwise you are taking away from the flavor of how things were at the time.

It is all to easy to slip into why didn't they do this when considering the actions of persons in a book. The old expressions remind you, no penicillin in 1900, etc.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Thanks for all your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I would change things only if it were a work of science used currently, so that information would be more easily accessed. Otherwise you are taking away from the flavor of how things were at the time.

It is all to easy to slip into why didn't they do this when considering the actions of persons in a book. The old expressions remind you, no penicillin in 1900, etc.
I see what you mean, but the thing is: this expressions (acronyms or abbreviations) are still used nowadays, but usually just in newspapers. I believe it is uncommon for a kids book (or even an adult book) from around 1900. Nowadays, it is uncommon in a book. Also I think, changing from acronym to full expressions doesn't change much on the meaning of the book.

And just to add: I have this series of kids books from around the 1920s (I am focused on kids books). In one this one book, they mention the city S. Paulo. In the next book, released just 1 year later, from the same publisher, the spelling is changed to Sao Paulo.

So I decided to use the full expressions, not just the acronyms.
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It seems very reasonable under the circumstances, especially if they are public domain and there is no author to moan about how you have desecrated their precious layout. A child is going to have an interesting time trying to figure out who S. Paolo is and wondering when he or she wandered into the book!!!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote