Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
how Borders should sell the ebooks

I undestand that Borders is a physical library. So an idea: let users of Sony Reader to get one of these devices when entering to the shop:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7649
http://www.psism.com/is5300.htm

and to plug them into the Sony Reader card slot, asuming it has a hardware modern enough to support SDIO protocol. Then when a user, after browsing a paper book, wants to get an e-book version, just scans the label of the book and voila, he gets a tag of the book. Then he can either to buy the book from home via Sony Connect, or to go to the selling point and download directly the books befre leaving the shop.

Alternatively, instead of a RFID/Barcode scan, a bluetooth device could be installed, so the book is directly downloaded. But the best-sellers and the catalog of the shop could be already predownloaded in the memory section of the SDIO device; sure some of these devices has extra storage capabilities.

If SDIO hardware exists, it seems a feasible project; I could even volunteer to do it The only problem is that these RFID readers are expensive and the user could be tempted to lift them out of the shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C16R4_sdio_card3.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	2281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IS5300464.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	2282  

Last edited by arivero; 11-27-2006 at 04:01 PM.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
I undestand that Borders is a physical library...
Isn't Borders a bookstore...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Very interesting thoughts.

But wouldn't it be easier to just have a handheld scanner, or even write down the barcode number, and then dock the Reader to a store dock that can prepare a purchased Connect file for the device?

I've gotta think that Sony is searching for a good way to do some kind of in-the-field-without-a-pc sales of ebooks from Connect. There must be a lot of approaches, but I wonder if any of them are practical and useful?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:05 AM   #4
evil_bunny
Enthusiast
evil_bunny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony T1, iPhone 5S, iPad 3rd Gen
I think it would be interesting if there were kiosks set up where you could purchase books from the connect store inside of Borders. If you were browsing the real books and found one that you wanted, the system should help you take that home with you (in ebook form).

Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen.
evil_bunny is offline   Reply With Quote