Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 02:51 AM   #1
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Unhappy Jetbook Firmware Question

I am attempting to update my jetbook. I have followed all the instructions including formatting my SD card, but when I turn on the unit along with pressing the other buttons, it just turns on. When I go into the SD Card File Manager, it informs me that it is an incompatible format. Yet I formatted it as a FAT 32 as insturcted. Any ideas? Thank you.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journier View Post
I am attempting to update my jetbook. I have followed all the instructions including formatting my SD card, but when I turn on the unit along with pressing the other buttons, it just turns on. When I go into the SD Card File Manager, it informs me that it is an incompatible format. Yet I formatted it as a FAT 32 as insturcted. Any ideas? Thank you.
Hmmm, where did you find the instructions to format the SD card? I've never had to do that. What size is the card? Can you format it as FAT or FAT16 instead of FAT32? Might be worth a shot. I'd try to get the SD card working in the jetBook first and then go back to the firmware upgrade.

Here's the trick: Make sure to reset the jetBook first by the button on the back. Then, turn it on by holding down the power button and the right button. Once it shows the jetBook logo, release the power button but keep holding the right button until you get to the firmware upgrade screen.

Hope that helps!
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I just upgraded mine last night, and I didn't format the SD card. I just unzipped the file into it and unzip created the required folders.

Kralik is right, get the card working, then worry about upgrading.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Along with pressing the reset button, I have found that if my jetBook doesn't have a full charge it won't boot to the firmware.... just boots normally.

The cards I have used were formatted FAT (128mb and 4gb)
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I re-flashed mine with two bars showing.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 02:16 AM   #6
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hey everyone, thank you so much for your advice. Looks like I will be restoring the default format.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:19 AM   #7
Journier
Groupie

Red face Ectaco Customer Support Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Hmmm, where did you find the instructions to format the SD card? I've never had to do that. What size is the card? Can you format it as FAT or FAT16 instead of FAT32? Might be worth a shot. I'd try to get the SD card working in the jetBook first and then go back to the firmware upgrade.

Here's the trick: Make sure to reset the jetBook first by the button on the back. Then, turn it on by holding down the power button and the right button. Once it shows the jetBook logo, release the power button but keep holding the right button until you get to the firmware upgrade screen.

Hope that helps!
Kralik, I followed the instructions I found at an ECTACO customer support blog. Users submit their problems and an ECTACO representative posts instructions or advice. However, looks like I was led astray. Thanks so much for your help.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Did you get it working?

The ECTACO forum 'support' seems to be mostly outsourced drones. Have you noticed many of the solutions are a copy-paste job?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
bonteku
Interested Observer
bonteku began at the beginning.

Device: Palm tx/Jetbook
I've had my Jetbook since April and one of it's biggest quirks is not liking a lot of memory cards.I have a bunch of different brands and sizes it just won't recognize.
bonteku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
alxab
alxab began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journier View Post
...When I go into the SD Card File Manager, it informs me that it is an incompatible format. Yet I formatted it as a FAT 32 as insturcted. Any ideas? Thank you.
These instructions are from ECTACO support forum:

Quote:
5. Click on it with Right button, select "Format" from the list of Pop Up Window.
6. Please select File System as FAT (not FAT32) and press Start.
Looks like you did not follow them after all. They explicitly say to use FAT. I would suggest to reformat the card and try again.
alxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:39 AM   #11
Journier
Groupie

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxab View Post
These instructions are from ECTACO support forum:

Looks like you did not follow them after all. They explicitly say to use FAT. I would suggest to reformat the card and try again.
Alxab, many thanks for the correction. Boy, am I embarassed! But, I do stuff like that all the time. Have gotten lots of good advice. Thanks to all.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #12
Journier
Groupie

Yeah! It's working. Thanks so much for your help. I can't believe how I could mess up such a simple operation, but I do things like that all the time. Thanks again.
Richard
Old 08-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonteku View Post
I've had my Jetbook since April and one of it's biggest quirks is not liking a lot of memory cards.I have a bunch of different brands and sizes it just won't recognize.
Maybe we need a list of those that do work and those that do not. Care to start it off?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Maybe we need a list of those that do work and those that do not.
Once there is a list, you might want to make a wiki page like Iliad Memorycards list.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
bonteku
Interested Observer
bonteku began at the beginning.

Device: Palm tx/Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Maybe we need a list of those that do work and those that do not. Care to start it off?
I have 2 Kingston 1GB and a Panasonic 256MB that will not work.All my SanDisk and PNY 2GB cards will work along with a Kingston 128MB card that I use only for new firmware.There doesn't seem to be a real pattern.
bonteku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, jetbook