Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
s0nya
Member Retired
s0nya began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
Help with meta tags/info

Last edited by s0nya; 09-07-2011 at 02:09 PM.
s0nya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
In calibre you can change the metadata by first highlighting the book and then clicking on the 'edit meta information' box in the top left of the screen. You can then change the title and author information.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
s0nya
Member Retired

Last edited by s0nya; 09-07-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
There are two possible issues that I am aware of.
  1. If you transferred the pdf files to the reader using Finder (on MacOS) or the Windows File Explorer, your problem is simple. Calibre stores metadata in its own database. It only updates the metadata in the actual file when one of two things happens -- either (a) you do a "save to disk" operation, or (b) you do a "send to device" operation. In either case, what is saved/sent is the original file with its metadata updated to match what the database knows it should be. So, if you copied the pdf files via some other method that update of the meta-data would be skipped.
  2. There are some known bugs in Calibre's support for pdf metadata. Most of the ones I've seen discussed here caused hangs or crashes, but it would not be too surprising to find incorrect meta-data as another possibility. If the previous item is not the solution to your problem, you've probably encountered one of these bugs. In that case, you should report it via the "ticket" system at the calibre website.

Hope this helps.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
s0nya
Member Retired

thanks. i did send to device with calibre, so maybe there was just some sort of glitch, but if i wanted to 'try again' to get the right meta data will calibre write OVER the files, or will it just add to them, or would I need to delete the other files first? I don't want to put the same books on twice.
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre will overwrite the files if you resend them. But metadata in PDF files is dicey, so your mileage may vary.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
Hi S0nya,

I had the exact same issue. For me it was because the PDF meta data was password locked so Calibre wasn't able to overwrite it. I used a program to unlock the file then changed the metadata using another program (will get you the names when I get home if you need them) then transferred them through Calibre to my 505 and it worked

Let me know if you want to know more info!
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:49 AM   #8
xitrum
xitrum began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Hi Cassy and all,

All of my ebooks are in .prc format and even though I edited the Metadata info via Calibre, most of them don't get transfer to the Kindle. Is there a sure way to edit the Title/Author directly on the .prc file before transferring to Kindle as Calibre is kinda unpredictable. TIA.

-xt
xitrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:18 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not all prc files support setting of metadata, to be sure of your metadata stick convert them to MOBI in calibre
Old 06-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
xitrum
xitrum began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Thanks Kovidgoyal. Yes I converted them to MOBI and sync with my Kindle. Everything seems to work now. Would be cool if we can do bulk conversion from command line. Calibre seems to hang when there are > 10 jobs running on my PC.
xitrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That will be fixed on the 0.6 release