Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #31
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I seem to have this discussion running on two threads. I originally started this discussion on another thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...941#post328941

I was just offering another suggestion to the person having difficulty. Maybe I should wait to offer any suggestion, until I have it working.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
We tried the IP address for the store, that just takes me to the store, which I already can do. I can't get into the place I need to be to download/ purchase any ebooks. The tech rep said I may need to talk to a programmer or someone in charge of the servers.
I guess I don't understand. And, I'm pretty sure that is because you don't understand how the internet and http work. That's fine, most PC users don't. But, it is hard to discuss techinical stuff like this, espesially via a third party.

The Sony eBook store is nothing more than a web site that is accessed via the Sony eBook Library software. It communicates via http to the store just like your web browser does. In order to set the filters to not filter out content from the store, it sounds like they need the IP address or addresses that the store uses. There is no reason to talk to the Sony programmers to get this though. All this information is exposed right on your PC and via the internet DNS protocol.

DNS is like a phone book for the internet. It converts a friendly name like "ebookstore.sony.com" into and IP address like 74.122.34.212. It sounds like net guard for performance reasons wants to block using IP address rather than the friendly name. Probably for performance reasons. They don't want to have to be doing DNS lookups for all the traffic that passes throught the filters.

Using a tool like fiddler2 which I have mentioned here before allows you to snif at the traffic that is happening between your PC and the Sony server. This will show you all the places that the software is connecting to, what is being sent and what the responses recieved are.

Of course, NetGuard should be able to do this to. They should be able to monitor your traffic and open up communication to the IP addresses that the Sony software is talking to. I am very confused as to why they can't do this. But, it sounds like the tech support people are not really tech support and more like customer service people. They only understand the basic end user features on the net filter.

It also seems to me that you should have control over it. You should be able to login to some web site and disable the filters temporarily while you are using the Sony book store, then turn them back on. Since you are at the computer you know your kids are safe.

Personally, I dislike nanny type software just for this reason. You never know what stuff you want to do is going to be blocked. I prefer to use education and monitoring to keep my kids safe on the internet.

Anyway... I wish you luck how ever you decided to persue this.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #33
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
You should not have to manually input the IP into your firewall app unless you
created certain rules that blocks ports from making outbound traffic that Sony
specifically wants access to.

You should open services.msc (in run command) and then look for the offending
firewall application and temporarely disable it. Then try and re-connect to Sony.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have to call my ISP to get an uninstall key, in order to disable it. It is a tamper-resistant filter. It can't be bypassed. There is no password override feature. (I'm quoting the website.)
Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #34
rebarnmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It also seems to me that you should have control over it. You should be able to login to some web site and disable the filters temporarily while you are using the Sony book store, then turn them back on. Since you are at the computer you know your kids are safe.BOb
I am the administrator in the family. It's not just for my child, but for my husband and myself. There's a lot on the internet that I don't want popping up in my face.
I believe the tech support for the filter are very knowledgable and they will build in an exception/customize the filter for me if I can get the right information for them. The IP address to the website wasn't it. I wonder if I could get them to talk to Sony directly on my behalf.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I am the administrator in the family. It's not just for my child, but for my husband and myself. There's a lot on the internet that I don't want popping up in my face.
I can understand that.

Quote:
The IP address to the website wasn't it. I wonder if I could get them to talk to Sony directly on my behalf.
Perhaps you can get them both on the phone in a conference call. If your ISP answers quickly you could call Sony, and once on with them conference in your ISP... or have Sony do it.

If it is not the IP they need... did they say what they did need?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #36
rebarnmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If it is not the IP they need... did they say what they did need?

BOb
They tried to explain it to me, something about proxies not being able to get along. I just looked up proxy on Wikipedia and it referred to a content-filtering web proxy server. That sounds a lot like what I have and need to get past.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #37
rebarnmom
Wizard

An update:

It comes down to this. I have to call my ISP to get the uninstall key, so I can uninstall my filter in order to connect with the Sony eBookstore in order to buy books. Which I did the other day to buy the final book in a series I was reading, the last one of which I read on my Reader. Oh, and then of course, re-install the filter.