Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #61
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Honestly, this is what they should have released last year, IMO. I still like my Oasis over the Voyage in terms of ergonomics, and the battery case worked as a trade off for me when traveling. But being able to ditch the battery case by making the screen bigger? That should have been done to begin with. And the inclusion of the light sensor, too.

Fewer trade offs make for an easier sell when asking for more money.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #62
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Lighting is the issue. The larger the screen, the less well the light diffuser works. I don't expect the frontlight on the 7" to be as good as that of the 6", for that reason, but an 8" would definitely be a lot worse. I know of no 8" devices with good frontlighting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Suppose some Kobo Aura One owners may have a word here.

Though after hearing of so many lighting issues with the KAO, you may have mass agreement on your statement!
The WHITE (normal) light on the KA1 has very few issues. The uneven/poor lighting on the KA1 are with the "night" light where the different colours cause issues. Kobo can get even normal lighting on 7.8" from the bottom, so it should be possible for Amazon to do it with side lighting (assuming they are going that way again).

Nice to see Amazon once again finally catching up with Kobo
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just a quick note... You are buying the Oasis for what the firmware does. There isn;t going to be a jailbreak anytime soon (could be never),

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-11-2017 at 12:58 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #64
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzkmo View Post
I realize it is not out yet and so this may be a premature question, but do you think we'll be able to drag and drop MP3's or other audio files over to it? I think the KK let us do that.

Also, how big are typical Audible books? I'm thinking of just getting the 8gb Oasis and hoping it has enough space for a couple hundred ebooks and 6-8 audio books at any given time.
It depends on the audio quality and of course how long the book is and how fast the narrator reads. At ‘standard’ quality 25 hours is about 350MB (probably equivalent to 500-650 page book). ‘Enhanced’ will be roughly twice that. But there will probably be an option to download ‘parts’, especially if they back-port this feature to older Kindles.

I doubt they’ll make provision for mp3.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-11-2017 at 12:33 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #65
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Can I ask, is anyone considering the extended warranty, only now it has to be purchased at the same time as the device and I am dubious of doing that in case I got a dud device.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #66
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More details & press release and podcast at The Kindle Chronicles:

http://www.thekindlechronicles.com/

It seems most of the new features (adjustable boldness, inverted text etc) will soon be available for other Kindles, Audible for original Oasis and 8th Gen Kindle a little later.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-11-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #67
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It seems (at least initially) it does not support Immersion Reading (synchronized text + audiobook playback), or at least there’s no mention of it. Will it at least play in background so you can read along? Probably not. The Audible player on previous Kindles was horrible, and hard to imagine even an improved player for Kindle would be preferred to the smartphone app.
Amazon says it is "seamless" to hope back and forth between audiobook and ebook. (syncing works.) This video seems to confirm that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=qffCVvuNRd8
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #68
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Come to my arms, my beamish Oasis!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.
*apologies to Lewis Carroll*

32 G model on order - visions of loading it with Delphi Classics tomes ... endless reading .... sigh ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #69
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
I never do audiobooks nor do I read near water (unless you count a glass of water) so it's nothing I need. Unfortunately that has never stopped me before and it won't this time either. The asymmetry still bugs me visually but it's extremely practical to use. Oh well I can always cancel the order if I change my mind.
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #70
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Amazon says it is "seamless" to hope back and forth between audiobook and ebook. (syncing works.) This video seems to confirm that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=qffCVvuNRd8
That is an improvement over the previous Audible players for Kindle but Immersion Reading is the standard Amazon has established for the last several years. Having to switch modes is not the same - might as well have it play from your smartphone or Echo and read along with the text. I can understand where highlighting words dynamically could drain battery faster, but they could just forgo that and keep page turns synchronized, which would be fine (like TTS on Fire).

And yes, let’s have ‘plain old TTS’ and not just VoiceView.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #71
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzkmo View Post
I realize it is not out yet and so this may be a premature question, but do you think we'll be able to drag and drop MP3's or other audio files over to it? I think the KK let us do that.

Also, how big are typical Audible books? I'm thinking of just getting the 8gb Oasis and hoping it has enough space for a couple hundred ebooks and 6-8 audio books at any given time.
According to a chat I had with amazon customer help they said only audible books, no mp3.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #72
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
The only thing that might convince me to upgrade is the 7" screen. Still on the fence though.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #73
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Hope the software updates for the other Kindles show up before too long. I’d like to play with them before I decide about getting Oasis 2.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #74
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just a quick note... You are buying the Oasis for what the firmware does. There isn;t going to be a jailbreak anytime soon (could be never),
This may not be accurate. It may be able to use the current jailbreak. We will know shortly.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:19 PM   #75
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I do worry about the fragility...with one side being so thin.
Going by my existing Oasis, the thinness is not a problem. If you drop it, you'll smash the plastic off and scratch the screen *long* before any damage due to one side's thinness is likely. A good chunk of that thinness is metal. It's *tough*. Even treading on it isn't a problem (I know: it survived that undamaged).

Myself, I plan to wait and see. I might get another exchange on my extended warranty, since my existing Oasis is rather beaten up.

Honestly this looks like a step backwards in some ways: almost twice as heavy due to the move-back of the battery but you *still* need a case almost as expensive as the old one unless you actually like the the 'chipped and beaten' look after a few months of use -- though the new case looks almost as useless for that as the old one because it doesn't actually protect the edge of the Kindle at all. The larger screen is tempting, as is the bluetooth support. I only care about waterproofing insofar as it makes it rain-proof, but rain never did my existing Kindles any harm, so...
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote