Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 09-25-2017, 10:16 PM   #1
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Audiobooks

Is there a program similar to Calibre to manage audio books? iTunes is just not working for me. I know I can add an empty format book entry into Calibre but that takes to much time. I need something faster and easier.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Nope, sadly, there is not. The empty book in Calibre or a spreadsheet are your best options. The problem is that programs that were started some years ago to do the same thing ended up unsupported. Calibre is regularly supported AND you can download the metadata directly into the 'empty book'. Big timesaver there.

When dealing with a very large library (I have over 900 audiobooks - full length and short stories) is to just take your time and do a few every few days. So what if it takes you a year? I've learned to not waste so much time with organizing because it takes away from listening to audiobooks and reading.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Media Monkey is widely regarded as the Calibre-equivalent for audio files and videos (see https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...q=media+monkey). I use it in conjuction with Calibre to manage and catalogue my audiobooks and videos; I also use it on its own to manage my music.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:18 AM   #4
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I mostly have the ebook and audiobook and simply add the audiobook file, usually as an mp3, to the Calibre Book record. I use mp3wrap to create a single mp3 file which can easily be split back into chapters if I so desire. An easy and practical solution.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:33 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the correct forum for audiobook discussions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Someone suggested this to me a couple weeks ago. I JUST started playing with it, so I'm not sure if it would work for you or not:
http://links.giveawayoftheday.com/datacrow.net/
Also, https://www.collectorz.com/book looks really cool. But it is NOT free. I really like the way it looks.
I have come very close to buying it a few times.
I really wish there were a way to install Calibre twice, one named Calibre, one named Calibre Audio. Yes, I know I can have all kinds of different virtual libraries within Calibre. That just doesn't work for me, I need two separate programs. Yes, I'm weird!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:16 AM   #7
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I really wish there were a way to install Calibre twice, one named Calibre, one named Calibre Audio. Yes, I know I can have all kinds of different virtual libraries within Calibre. That just doesn't work for me, I need two separate programs. Yes, I'm weird!
Do you know you can have seperate libraries? These are not the same as virtual libraries.

If that doesn't work either, have you tried using a portable installation alongside the installed version? You can still only run one of them at a time though, if that's your issue.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:15 AM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Right now, I'm using spreadsheets. I simply export my iTunes audiobook playlist, load them into Numbers, add a few columns (series and narrator), delete a few and save it to iCloud. That way, I can access it from my iPad for when I'm not at my computer. I would assume that you can do something similar on a windows pc.

I have tried the separate calibre libraries, but that didn't really work well for me. Most of my listening occurs either in the car or at the office and I use the spreadsheet to see what I haven't listened to yet. Since I listen to a lot of series, it's useful to know what the next book in the series is.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I mostly have the ebook and audiobook and simply add the audiobook file, usually as an mp3, to the Calibre Book record. I use mp3wrap to create a single mp3 file which can easily be split back into chapters if I so desire. An easy and practical solution.
And how do you do this? I get fed up with some audiobooks downloading in single chapters.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #10
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Someone suggested this to me a couple weeks ago. I JUST started playing with it, so I'm not sure if it would work for you or not:
http://links.giveawayoftheday.com/datacrow.net/
Also, https://www.collectorz.com/book looks really cool. But it is NOT free. I really like the way it looks.
I have come very close to buying it a few times.
S
I downloaded Datacrow but I am lost on how to manage my audiobooks. I need to play around with it to figure it out. I like Collectororz but I cannot see paying that much for the program yet. I have send an email asking them if it will manage audiobooks but their response has been about mobi files.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #11
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Right now, I'm using spreadsheets. I simply export my iTunes audiobook playlist, load them into Numbers, add a few columns (series and narrator), delete a few and save it to iCloud. That way, I can access it from my iPad for when I'm not at my computer. I would assume that you can do something similar on a windows pc.

I have tried the separate calibre libraries, but that didn't really work well for me. Most of my listening occurs either in the car or at the office and I use the spreadsheet to see what I haven't listened to yet. Since I listen to a lot of series, it's useful to know what the next book in the series is.
I deal with spreadsheets all day at work. Looking for something different. But if I can't find anything I guess I will have to go this route.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #12
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Media Monkey is widely regarded as the Calibre-equivalent for audio files and videos (see https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...q=media+monkey). I use it in conjuction with Calibre to manage and catalogue my audiobooks and videos; I also use it on its own to manage my music.
I tried MediaMonkey in the past to manage my music. However I could not get it to import all my music and the support was terrible.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Goodreads, make a shelf for audiobooks and add them to the shelf.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #14
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Goodreads, make a shelf for audiobooks and add them to the shelf.

Sent from my XT1528
I have to many shelves in Goodreads now. I want/need something that does not require being online. Something that will keep track similar to Calibre.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #15
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
And how do you do this? I get fed up with some audiobooks downloading in single chapters.
I use mp3wrap on Linux though there is a windows version. Both are command line but relatively simple. It creates one mp3 file which can esaily be split back into the original files. For instance, if I have a directory with Chapter1.mp3 up to chapter100.mp3, I can create a single NameOfBook_mp3wrap.mp3. If I again want individual chapter files mp3split can extract them using the original information from mp3wrap. The only minor complication was with chapter names, which invariably do not use trailing zeros. For the combined file to be in the proper order these are essential. I use a small script using the linux "rename" command to accomplish this. So, for instance, Chapter1.mp3 must become Chapter001.mp3 if there are over 99 chapters.

http://mp3wrap.sourceforge.net/
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote