Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
Aquinax
Banned
Aquinax began at the beginning.

Device: Aquinax
Images to fill the whole Kindle screen?

I discovered that it's not straightforward to make a picture fill the whole screen or shown in full size on Kindle.

Is this really impossible?...
Aquinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquinax View Post
I discovered that it's not straightforward to make a picture fill the whole screen or shown in full size on Kindle.

Is this really impossible?...
Using what?
The built-in image viewer?
Something that does a direct copy to the frame buffer?
lipc?

Note:
HarryT will probably throw us move this out of this non-technical forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would guess that the poster is referring to an image in a Kindle book, which is a topic for the "Kindle formats" forum, to where I'm now moving this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
Aquinax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would guess that the poster is referring to an image in a Kindle book, which is a topic for the "Kindle formats" forum, to where I'm now moving this.
Thanks for moving. Yes, knc1, I meant to insert image into an azw3 so that it appears (not the cover) filling the entire screen, or - for smaller images - the entire width of the screen, without empty spaces along the borders.

edit: The ebooks editing I am doing in Calibre.

Last edited by Aquinax; 05-27-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I haven't tried this myself, but I believe you can have an image take up more of the screen by using negative margins, but the results may vary by Kindle device and firmware. It might be good enough for your own use, but will not be acceptable if this is a book that you plan to publish.

A bit off topic:

Amazon has a more flexible reflowable e-book format, Kindle Illustrated, which is used by the Kindle in Motion titles. This allows images to be rendered edge-to-edge and also allows the top and bottom overlays (page number, etc.) to be disabled on pages where you need to fill the entire screen. Unfortunately, Amazon has not published any information on how to author books in this format. I have picked up some hints of how it works here and there, but not enough to create a workable book.

Last edited by jhowell; 05-27-2017 at 05:34 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2017, 04:49 AM   #6
Aquinax
Banned

jhowell, negative margins have been tried, as well as min-width="100%".. Images don't seem to be Kindle's strength.. Although it DOES manage to stretch the cover image across the entire screen, but not any other image in the ebook, no matter what size...
Old 05-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
Hmmm... I have good luck with width="100%". I only use it if I have an image for the title page, not small excerpt or blurb cover images in back matter. And not flourishes which I sometimes insert underneath a Chapter Heading.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:00 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind View Post
Hmmm... I have good luck with width="100%". I only use it if I have an image for the title page, not small excerpt or blurb cover images in back matter. And not flourishes which I sometimes insert underneath a Chapter Heading.
You actually want height="100%".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:09 PM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I too have good luck with width="100%". It does not however fill the entire screen unless it is zoomed; otherwise we have the normal text margins.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #10
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Although it DOES manage to stretch the cover image across the entire screen, but not any other image in the ebook, no matter what size...

I notice in a lot of epubs converted by Calibre from mobi that they often have

@page {
margin-bottom: 5pt;
margin-top: 5pt
}

.calibre {
display: block;
font-size: 1em;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 5pt;
margin-right: 5pt;
margin-top: 0;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0
}
in CSS

And in every (x)html file
<body class="calibre">
Of course, the kindle cover is just an image, not HTML. But every actual page using these defaults will have a 5 pt margin.

So, if you haven't already, check all the CSS for similar formatting. Just set them to zero. You can apply margins to the text tags if you want that.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:28 AM   #11
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Looks like my earlier comment was useless.

I had some images I wanted to have maximum size, used the
Sigil AddImageasSVG plugin
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283333

Convert to azw3 with Kindlegen and sideload: the image page has margins.
Spoiler:

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <title></title>
  <style type="text/css">    @page {padding: 0; margin:0}
body  {text-align: center; padding:0; margin: 0; }
  </style>
</head>

<body>
  <div>
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 420 487" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"><image width="420" height="487" xlink:href="../Images/1servant.jpg"/></svg>
  </div>
</body>
</html>

All margins zero, width 100%. But it isn't 100% width, maybe 90%.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:31 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Looks like my earlier comment was useless.

I had some images I wanted to have maximum size, used the
Sigil AddImageasSVG plugin
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283333

Convert to azw3 with Kindlegen and sideload: the image page has margins.

All margins zero, width 100%. But it isn't 100% width, maybe 90%.
The problem is that Kindles have forced margins and you are stuck with them unless you hack the Kindle or use negative margins. Bu that won't work for all Kindles. So basically, your stuck with the margins.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #13
Aquinax
Banned

On the positive note: If you use JPG format for cover image (in EPUB editor, before converting to AZW...), the image is streched to the full height of the screen.

On the sober note: Is it really terminally impossible to do the same with any other image in the ebook? So far I wanted just the back cover to be displayed over the whole screeen ...
thanks.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
On the positive note: If you use JPG format for cover image (in EPUB editor, before converting to AZW...), the image is streched to the full height of the screen.
In most Kindle formats the cover image is handled as a special case, separate from the HTML content. It is the only part of a book displayed without margins or overlays. I doubt that you will be able to make that happen for other images.

In the newer KFX format the cover is part of the book content, as in an EPUB. That is why the covers of books with Enhanced Typesetting are displayed with margins, just like other book content.

Added: Another case comes to mind. If your entire book is composed of only full page images then you can use the Kindle comic format. That shows all of the images/pages without margins.

Last edited by jhowell; 07-07-2017 at 09:49 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The problem is that Amazon is forcing margins on you. You just have to deal.