Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #841
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Updated the release packages (JB 1.10.N, USBNet 0.16.N), mostly to catch up with the snapshots .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #842
Cykotitan
Enthusiast
Cykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 WiFi
Is there ANY way whatsoever to jailbreak without using the USB cable? My kindle has had its usb port damaged somehow (dropping?) and I can only get it to charge in the current state (again, through various contraptions), it refuses to establish a stable USB link to a computer (connects and disconnects indefinitely in Windows). There's probably no real fix for this other than buying a new Kindle, but who knows. I made the mistake of resetting it just to lose my previous jailbreak, just to realize how much I need it again now.
Cykotitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #843
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope. Except over serial, but that implies opening it up.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #844
Cykotitan
Enthusiast
Cykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animals

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #845
Cykotitan
Enthusiast

UPDATE:
I finally got it to work with some help of a friend on TeamViewer. I held the Paperwhite down in effort to try and maintain a stable USB link to the computer, and he copied the bin files one at a time to complete the jailbreak process. I'm now happily connecting to Kindle over WiFi, just as I did before the factory reset.

Jailbreak related bin files and folders: http://2.ii.gl/suhUT_.png
Connected to PW1 in WinSCP: http://4.ii.gl/2qDDV9.png

I might be "stuck" wih FW 5.3.5 now, but it's a whole lot better than having no jailbreak at all.

Edit: I just realized i copied the 5.4 jailbreak zipfile to a 5.3.5 device, deleting
Advert
Old 04-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #846
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That's okay, it actually works on the full range of (current) FW 5.X firmwares. The 5.4 in the filename is just an artefact of the when/why it was first released .
Old 04-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #847
Cykotitan
Enthusiast

I am referring to the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip file inside the jailbreak archive, is it necessary to keep it in the root of my USB storage?
I would imagine not, as it probably contains the source for the .bin update package.

Edit: I just realized I've performed the jailbreak via the .bin file, as opposed to unpacking the contents of kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip. Is this going to have any consequences?

Last edited by Cykotitan; 04-19-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #848
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cykotitan View Post
I am referring to the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip file inside the jailbreak archive, is it necessary to keep it in the root of my USB storage?
I would imagine not, as it probably contains the source for the .bin update package.

Edit: I just realized I've performed the jailbreak via the .bin file, as opposed to unpacking the contents of kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip. Is this going to have any consequences?
While using a steady pressure with one hand, with your other hand engage the safety on your panic button.

Once installed, you don't need any *.zip or update_*.bin file on the root of USB storage related to the jailbreak.

Many of our after-market add-ins do leave files in visible, USB storage, but they create their own directory sub-tree (usually, under /extensions which is next to /documents) and do not install to the root of visible storage.

Last edited by knc1; 04-19-2014 at 06:01 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #849
Cykotitan
Enthusiast

Alright, thanks for clearing it up. I just had a concern whether or not the jailbreak was successful (I did not see any JAILBREAK messages). But I assume it encountered no issues, as I'm able to launch both the KUAL kindlet and all the provided extensions properly.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #850
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cykotitan View Post
Alright, thanks for clearing it up. I just had a concern whether or not the jailbreak was successful (I did not see any JAILBREAK messages). But I assume it encountered no issues, as I'm able to launch both the KUAL kindlet and all the provided extensions properly.
Well, yes, but not for that reason -

The "Jailbreak" only affects your ability to install our binary packages, does not have anything to do with there running after installation.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #851
donMaranzano
Zealot
donMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 5
Is it possible someone to explain me about jailbreaking. I received the sign jailbreak and what is next?
donMaranzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #852
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by donMaranzano View Post
Is it possible someone to explain me about jailbreaking. I received the sign jailbreak and what is next?
The "Jailbreak" installs the MobileRead developer's certificate used to test the signature of our installable packages.

What's next? Your choice.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:55 AM   #853
donMaranzano
Zealot
donMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheese

How can I install other app? Is there a way to share quote in facebook showing the name of the book?

I need help on how to insall epub reader on Kindle Touch

Last edited by donMaranzano; 04-22-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #854
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by donMaranzano View Post
How can I install other app?
Is there a way to share quote in facebook showing the name of the book?

I need help on how to insall epub reader on Kindle Touch
1) Directions given in the first post of the thread which releases the application.
2) Unknown.
3) Read the directions in the first post and those that come with the selected epub reader.

Also see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083
Old 04-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #855
donMaranzano
Zealot

I still do not get it. I jailbreak it but from to install the apps and how to do that?

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch