Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #796
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mterry View Post
I installed a *.apk file in a Fire Kindle. I thought for the Kindle touch, after jailbreak and MKK, was possible.
Did you notice that a Kindle Fire has a color display and that a Kindle Touch has a Grayscale display?

Color display Kindles are an Android OS running on a Linux kernel.
Grayscale Kindles are an Amazon OS running on a Linux kernel.

This forum is for the Grayscale Kindles only -
Other Kindle devices, other forums.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:14 AM   #797
Mterry
Enthusiast
Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS T1; Kindle T3G
Thank you for your clarification. I am interested to Kindle touch, because I have it. I have not a Fire. It was of a friend of mine.
Mterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #798
8bitg33k
8bitg33k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Unzip the contents of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip archive to the root directory of your Kindle.
I see no folder named 'Root'.
8bitg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #799
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitg33k View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_directory
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #800
8bitg33k
8bitg33k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Yeah but there is no folder named 'Root'. Apparently I am missing something that I should be getting?
8bitg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #801
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitg33k View Post
This a *nix system, the file system root directory is spelled: '/' not 'root' .
Old 03-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #802
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, the definition of a root directory, as explained by the link. There is no directory called root; think of it like a tree. The root is the base of the tree/system -- the root directory is the one that contains all the others. It should appear as Drive E:\
Old 03-25-2014, 02:45 AM   #803
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
There is no directory called root;
Well, there actually is.
But it's just a home directory of UNIX superuser that is called ... ehm ... root. Confused?
But it is not the root - the top-most directory. One root to rule them all.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #804
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Well, there actually is.
But it's just a home directory of UNIX superuser that is called ... ehm ... root. Confused?
But it is not the root - the top-most directory. One root to rule them all.
But not on the Kindle Userstore.

Yes, I know about root's home directory, not confusing (to me) in the slightest. Lets not get into it here, though, lest we confuse others.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #805
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
But not on the Kindle Userstore.

Yes, I know about root's home directory, not confusing (to me) in the slightest. Lets not get into it here, though, lest we confuse others.
Ah, why not?

And we could throw in the details of a popular TV tech-fiction program where the good-guy is referred to as: "Admin" and the bad-guy is referred to as: "Root".
Old 03-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #806
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1: Amy Acker is awesome.

(Oh, poor thread ;D).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #807
knc1
Going Viral

My girl dog watches Graubaer’s Boker, I think she has a crush on him.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #808
mg10
Connoisseur
mg10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW, Kobo Aura One
Hi, if I want to upgrade from previous versions of firmware and jailbreak, what must I do? Restore pw and apply jailbreak again or I can upgrade firmware and jb without restoring pw?
Thanks in advanced
mg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #809
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg10 View Post
Hi, if I want to upgrade from previous versions of firmware and jailbreak, what must I do? Restore pw and apply jailbreak again or I can upgrade firmware and jb without restoring pw?
Thanks in advanced
No need to do any restoring, just upgrade the firmware. The JB will likely survive, but if not just reapply it (or just apply the JB again anyway to be sure, there's no harm). Welcome to the forum!

As an aside, if you have any other hacks installed you will likely need to re-install them and also the MKK if you are using KUAL.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #810
mg10
Connoisseur
mg10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
No need to do any restoring, just upgrade the firmware. The JB will likely survive, but if not just reapply it (or just apply the JB again anyway to be sure, there's no harm). Welcome to the forum!

As an aside, if you have any other hacks installed you will likely need to re-install them and also the MKK if you are using KUAL.
Thanks for your help
mg10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch