Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #196
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
There's no way I'll rebuy it (already paid for the books and ebooks), I'll contact fictionwise to see what they can do, failing that, I'm sure I'll manage to get a fixed version.
I think all they'll be able to do is switch you to the eReader version (Microsoft has shut down LIT), but maybe they can get you a fixed version of it? When I emailed them a few times about a fixed version I never received a reply which unfortunately isn't uncommon with FW support these days.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #197
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I think all they'll be able to do is switch you to the eReader version (Microsoft has shut down LIT), but maybe they can get you a fixed version of it? When I emailed them a few times about a fixed version I never received a reply which unfortunately isn't uncommon with FW support these days.
Hopefully they'll be able to get me a fixed version in some format or other, but I'm not holding out much hope. I've emailed them on the off-chance though.

Failing that I'll sort out fixes for my version myself before I finally get around to reading it again
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #198
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't know about .lit, but the Mobipocket version at Fictionwise got updated to the fixed version.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #199
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't know about .lit, but the Mobipocket version at Fictionwise got updated to the fixed version.
I'll cross my fingers that they'll give me access to that version then
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #200
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Just download a fresh copy from wherever you bought it. There's no need to correct errors manually.
If only I could. I bought my copy from the Harper Collins website, which no longer supplies ebooks.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #201
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
If only I could. I bought my copy from the Harper Collins website, which no longer supplies ebooks.
That sucks. You didn't manage to download before they closed up?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #202
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
So a different ISBN, but the same date.

Shrugs, my ePub has a different eISBN (E-ISBN: 978-0-547-95194-2) with no date, but it's from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (even though it references Harper Collins on the copyright page).

It would be helpful if they put a version number or something somewhere.
EPub Edition MARCH 2009 ISBN: 978-0-007-32259-6 <--unfixed
EPub Edition MARCH 2009 ISBN: 978-0-061-95287-6 <--fixed

That is odd that the ISBN would be different like that. Both are library copies.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #203
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
That sucks. You didn't manage to download before they closed up?
Nope. I'd planned on having a weekend away in the country somewhere, for an atmospheric read through of the book, so didn't know there were any errors until this thread started (and the website had stopped selling ebooks). I don't think that they would have updated their version though, with them shutting the store (relatively) soon after LoTR was released.

Edited to add: it's not such a big deal, with the DRM stripped. More of a minor pain.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #204
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
I have two friends that bought there as well. One downloaded a copy from the library (and used it to replace his purchased copy) and the other is was going to do a manual update (not sure if he did or not).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #205
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see no problem getting a fixed edition from the library to replace the paid for version with all the errors.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #206
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I see no problem getting a fixed edition from the library to replace the paid for version with all the errors.
I entirely agree with you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #207
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Only one of these errors left in my copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I’ve been reading The Lord of the Rings in EPUB format. I began noticing the various errors in the text and noting them down, in the hope of shaming the publisher and pushing for at least some proofreading before selling ebooks. In my opinion, we should have them 'upgraded' for free.
I’ve maintained a list of things I’ve noticed; if you notice any more than I have, please feel free to add to the list!
Note some are formatting, some are typos and some are extra characters..

Page 14: Also in The War of the Ring,Christopher Tolkien reproduces a page from the first manuscript of the chapter ‘The Taming of Smeagol’, and the printed text corresponding to this text is on the facing page (see pp. 90-91).
Page 14: that Tolkien at one point considered a romance between Aragorn and É that Tolkien wrote an epilogue to the book, tying up loose ends, but it was dropped before publication (and now appears in Sauron Defeated); and so on.
Page 573: ‘Westu Théoden hál!’, cried émer.
Page 574: “Go, H!, and seek my own sword!”
Page 579: She is fearless and high-ɣhearted.
Page 581: ‘I will forget my wrath for a while, éomer son of Éomund,’ said Gimli;
Page 581: ‘Were the breath of the West Wind to take a body visible, even so would it appear,’ said éomer, as the great horse ran up, until he stood before the wizard.
Page 581: Here now I name my guest, Gandalf Greyhame, wisest of counsel lors, most welcome of wanderers, a lord of the Mark, a chieftain of the Eorlingas while our kin shall last;
Page 620: ‘I am Strider and Dúna-dan too, and I belong both to Gondor and the North.’
Page 624: Treebeard put us down, and went up to the gates, and began ham mering on the doors, and calling for Saruman.
Page 705: ‘Smeagol,’ he said, ‘I will trust you once more.
Page 706: ‘Yes, yes, master!’ said Gollum. ‘Dreadful danger! Smeagol's bones shake to think of it, but he doesn't run away. He must help nice master.’
Page 710: The ‘escape’ may have been allowed or arranged, and well knownin the Dark Tower.
Page 783: It took his hand, and as Frodo watched with his mind, not willing it but in suspense (as if he looked on some old story far away,
[series of spaces]
it moved the hand inch by inch towards the chain upon his neck.
Page 795: Gollum's eyes glinted. ‘He doesn't know what we minds, does he, precious? No, he doesn't. But Smeagol can bear things. Yes. He's been through. Oh yes, right through. It's the only way.’
Page 877: The Firienfeld men called it, a green mountain-field of grass and heath, high above the deep-delved courses of the Snowbourn, laid upon the lap of the great mountains behind: the Starkhorn southwards, and northwards the saw-toothed mass of írensaga, between which there faced the riders, the grim black wall of the Dwimorberg, the Haunted Mountain rising out of steep slopes of sombre pines.
Checked my edition (latest download 10/2011):

Only issue is the one with "Dúna-dan" still hyphenated. Don't have my DTB version handy to compare if this is just an odd variant of the normally unhyphenated spelling or is an actually error. I'm leaning towards a hard, end-of-line hyphen that hasn't been removed from the formatting.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #208
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
Only issue is the one with "Dúna-dan" still hyphenated. Don't have my DTB version handy to compare if this is just an odd variant of the normally unhyphenated spelling or is an actually error. I'm leaning towards a hard, end-of-line hyphen that hasn't been removed from the formatting.
It's an error. Shouldn't be hyphenated.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #209
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
Checked my edition (latest download 10/2011):

What is the ISBN number of your edition? I just looked and there is that one error. The other occurrences of the word are not hyphenated.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #210
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have so painstakingly corrected my version directly in the HTML files from the information in this thread that I dare not update it from any website lest some stuff I have corrected is again wrong.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote