Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Buying used kindle on ebay?

I'm new to the forum, so hope I've put this thread in the right place.

anyway, I wondered if anyone has bought a used Kindle on ebay, and if it was worth it? Are there things I should know to look for/avoid? Can you register a used Kindle?

The only reason I'm thinking about it is that I realized with what I really want in an e-reader, I probably need to go up to a bigger device, like a tablet, but I don't have the money right now for that, so I thought maybe a kindle that doesn't have everything I want would be ok if the price was right (under $100; if it's not lower than that, then why would I get a used one, right?)

Just trying to check out all my options, so any advice would be appreciated!
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
there have been an awful lot of those kinds of kindles that have been stolen. I would suggest asking the seller to show you the registration number and call Amazon to make sure it is not hot.

good luck and welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Plus you have to wonder why the Kindle was de-registered as well. There was one posting here at Mobileread about how a device had broken down or something and Amazon replaced it without requiring the broken one to be returned (I forget what was wrong with it). So you have to wonder was it de-registered due to a problem with the unit or is the ebay unit de-registered because someone got a new one (i.e going from a K2 to a K3 ). And I don't imagine you would be covered under the original warranty due to you not being the original owner either, so if you buy it and it breaks down you might well be out your $$ as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I buy used computers, but more fancy or different electronic devices I prefer Amazon store. Prices maybe be a bit higher, but I have never had serious issues buying used from Amazon, from a seller I mean.

Thinking in selling my current Kindle 3 wifi, in order to buy the 3G model, but still thinking about it.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
That'd be one of those things where I'd maybe check Craigslist (or some similar classifieds) in my local area. That way, I could SEE the item in person before buying, and run the reg numbers past Amazon. If all checks out, I get it right then and there, no shipping!

Plus, I'd get to haggle.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
well it depends on what your needs are - for only $14 above your $100 you can have a new Kindle Special Offers with a full warranty.

I'd be careful on EBAY or Craigslist because we have had so many stories here of people getting bad deals. Check down in our marketplace forum here too and see what is available from mobileread members - people sell their old devices all the time here and if you see somebody with a pretty good post count you'll know that they are at least a mobileread member with a posting history.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamistress View Post
I'm new to the forum, so hope I've put this thread in the right place.

anyway, I wondered if anyone has bought a used Kindle on ebay, and if it was worth it? Are there things I should know to look for/avoid? Can you register a used Kindle?

The only reason I'm thinking about it is that I realized with what I really want in an e-reader, I probably need to go up to a bigger device, like a tablet, but I don't have the money right now for that, so I thought maybe a kindle that doesn't have everything I want would be ok if the price was right (under $100; if it's not lower than that, then why would I get a used one, right?)

Just trying to check out all my options, so any advice would be appreciated!
The risks are pretty high that the item is not legitimate, from what we've seen. But if it's a very reputable seller, then I might consider it. But frankly I haven't seen any deals that were particularly compelling, especially given the price of the Kindle with Special Offers.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamistress View Post
anyway, I wondered if anyone has bought a used Kindle on ebay, and if it was worth it?
Personally, I avoid eBay and Craig's List at all cost. But that's me. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
But frankly I haven't seen any deals that were particularly compelling, especially given the price of the Kindle with Special Offers.
This is the route I'd suggest. The KSO is only $114 and it's brand new. I have one and it's identical to $139 Kindle, except that the screensavers are ads/offers and there's a small ad banner at the bottom of the home page. Taking advantage of the offers lowers the price even more.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Thanks everyone....this helps me think about it. Often ebay prices aren't even that decent, and I don't really see the point of getting something used if I could get a new one for just a bit more money. It would have to be a pretty good deal for me to want to do it. I did wonder about if it might not be legit, too.

I figured people on this forum would have a better sense of this than I do, so glad I asked.
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
I'm from the UK. When I was getting my DXG, I searched ebay but it turned out to be actually cheaper to buy directly from Amazon US and pay the shipping and import tax than to buy from ebay, they were going at auction for up to 25% more (new) and at least the Amazon price for used.

I use ebay a lot, but it isn't always a bargain, you have to watch it.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #11
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
I bought my kindle 3 on ebay. (As I mentioned on this forum) when I try to add a hack, broke the software and call amazon. Amazingly they accepted to send a replacement!... If you careful about description of the product and seller profile(number of feedback, positive feedback ratio, previously sold kindles,if any, you can contact with seller, too.),If you do this careful enough, most probably there will be no problem.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote