Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 07-09-2015, 01:01 AM   #1
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
image sizes

Just a question.

Is there a limit on how big a picture need to be in MB before it gets too big?

I'm busy with a book with a few images, the images is about 1200x700 (or there about) and after "fixing" I save it to PNG (which make them between 700kb to 1.2mb each). With almost half the images in, the ebook is already over 6mb
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Pictures don't compress very well -- because they are already compressed, of course -- so every kilobyte added is another kilobyte to the final ebook.

As for size limits on attachments here, unless it grows beyond 20 MB you're safe.
Use your best judgment.

Personally, I see no reason for high-quality images in an ebook, as E-Ink devices cannot render them in all their glory anyway. Most of my books only have a cover and I am used to ebook sizes of ~500 KB.

If you want to save on image size, there are things you can do to optimize it. Various threads have discussed it (mainly in the workshop). The usual recommendations are e.g. for B&W images, to convert to gray colorspace, reduce the colors to 16 shades, strip them of profiles and comments, etc.
To be extra careful, you can run them through a time-consuming round of zopflipng.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:31 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Personally, I see no reason for high-quality images in an ebook, as E-Ink devices cannot render them in all their glory anyway.
But ebooks can be read in devices other than e-ink, and the images can be extracted. Just to show that there are some reasons
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:37 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, some people offer a special high-res ebook for that very reason. I did say "personally", which is of course highly subjective (and rightly so).

Oh well -- I am used to being ignored.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:33 AM   #5
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, some people offer a special high-res ebook for that very reason. I did say "personally", which is of course highly subjective (and rightly so).

Oh well -- I am used to being ignored.
I tested it (as far as I was atm, on my nephew's 7" and it looked decent. On my 10" it looks awesome

I might ditch the PNG for JPG.
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But ebooks can be read in devices other than e-ink, and the images can be extracted. Just to show that there are some reasons
Right. My 8.9" tablet, which I read on sometimes, has a 2560 x 1600 pixel screen so high quality is appreciated especially for things like maps.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote