Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Angry HarperCollins ebooks double the paperback price?

I went to Fictionwise today, eagerly anticipating being able to order the new books by Eloisa James and Kathryn Caskie, both Avon romance authors. I'd saved money in my monthly Micropay budget just for this reason. So imagine my surprise...and ANGER...when I discovered that the books, which I'd anticipated spending fourteen dollars for total, were almost thirteen dollars apiece. The freaking paperbacks will only be seven, and that's only if I don't find them cheaper at Walmart!!!

Is HarperCollins looking to tick off their ebook customer base? In this economy??? There's no way I'm paying that price for them. I'm half tempted to wait until I find the books at a used book store rather than give HarperCollins a dime for them, even if it does hurt the authors. I don't have the money to be spending thirteen bucks for a book that's only worth seven.

And what kills me is that on their main website, the price is listed as $7.99 for the ebook. When you follow the link to their ebook site, it's $14.99. Try figuring that one out.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflower75 View Post
And what kills me is that on their main website, the price is listed as $7.99 for the ebook. When you follow the link to their ebook site, it's $14.99. Try figuring that one out.
Errors do occur with the best will in the world. I would suggest that, rather than "blowing your top" about it, you contact FW's support, point out the reference to the $7.99 price, and ask them to check it out.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
that is pretty outrageous, i agree. i recommend that you write directly to HarperCollins to express your frustration and dissatisfaction with their pricing policy ; they need to hear from their customers. you can write to Fictionwise as well, although I don't think they have the authority to change prices, it's good for them to hear too. With a little luck, perhaps the price was an error which will be corrected (also why it's a good idea to write to fictionwise, in case the mistake came from them), or perhaps they will adjust the price (even if it wasn't an error) to something more realistic. Let us know if you hear back from them. you can probably find a contact email or online form on their website.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
that is pretty outrageous, i agree. i recommend that you write directly to HarperCollins to express your frustration and dissatisfaction with their pricing policy ; they need to hear from their customers. you can write to Fictionwise as well, although I don't think they have the authority to change prices, it's good for them to hear too. With a little luck, perhaps the price was an error which will be corrected (also why it's a good idea to write to fictionwise, in case the mistake came from them), or perhaps they will adjust the price (even if it wasn't an error) to something more realistic. Let us know if you hear back from them. you can probably find a contact email or online form on their website.
It definitely wasn't a Fictionwise mistake, because the price is the same (more or less, depending on the discount) wherever I look.

And I should've been more specific. HarperCollins' website lists the book at the $7.99 price. When you go to the HarperCollins ebook store, that's when the price magically jumps seven bucks.

And I've never written a complaint letter of this sort before, so I'm not sure what I could say that would sound polite but actually get someone's attention.

Last edited by wallflower75; 11-24-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Is the paperback version really published?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
wallflower75
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Is the paperback version really published?
It's being released tomorrow. And this is the first time I've ever seen at HarperCollins where the ebooks were priced more than the paperbacks.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflower75 View Post
It's being released tomorrow. And this is the first time I've ever seen at HarperCollins where the ebooks were priced more than the paperbacks.
Maybe the ebook price will be adjusted tomorrow when the paperback is available?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
wallflower, I suggest you just email them a link to this thread. Then they'll know (a) what your complaint is and (b) that everyone else is getting to hear about it.

That should secure their attention. If it doesn't, then they deserve to lose sales. Mind you, publishers like that are so big that they develop their own bureaucracy, so don't hold your breath.

Maybe they'll send you the titles FoC. I know I would.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
wallflower75
Groupie

Okay, I sent what I think is a polite complaint to customer service. If I hear back from them, I'll let you guys know.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:09 AM   #10
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Really popular romances like the one you wanted are often released originally in a larger format paperback first and then a normal sized paperback up to a year later. Similiar to the hardback/mass media situation. These larger format books do cost miore than the smaller ones. If you check a physical store or Amazon you may find this is the case with these books. I'd still rather pay that much than miss out altogether and have to buy dead tree.

Laine, who is going to a Romance Reader Convention and has no paper books for the author's to sign.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:19 AM   #11
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
Laine, who is going to a Romance Reader Convention and has no paper books for the author's to sign.
That is a problem, isn't it?

Have him/her sign your reader, or the cover...
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:30 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure that there is some reasonable explanation for the price anomaly. HarperCollins are one of the most "progressive" publishers when it comes to eBooks; I've bought dozens of books from them via FW and they've all been very reasonably priced.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:17 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
that is pretty outrageous, i agree. i recommend that you write directly to HarperCollins to express your frustration and dissatisfaction with their pricing policy ; they need to hear from their customers.
Could not agree more.
Publishers are just very greedy.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #14
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Indeed writing to FW customer support and the publisher is the best bet.

I've been doing something similar for a couple of books I'v been wanting to get, but am not willing to pay Hardback prices for the ebook when the paperback has been out for a year.

Being Penguin (in my case) I'm not holding my breath, but fictionwise did get back to me in a couple of days, basicely saying its up to the publishers, and they can't do anything.

Still you might have better luck, and writing in to them will ensure that they know people are concerned about prices.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:22 AM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Macmillan/St. Martin's Press is doing the same thing on at least some of its releases. If you look at the publisher's page on Fictionwise:

http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/ma...ooks.htm?cache

As far as I've looked (and I've checked at least a dozen of them), all the books listed with an original price of $14.00 here were released simultaneously with MMPB's released for $7.99. I've been trying to find a contact at McMillan in the ebook group to write to, but haven't had any luck so far.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote