Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #811
theluckyg
theluckyg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckyg View Post
Sooo how do I install mods? I mean, after jailbreaking, no new folders appeared, neither did new "active content" documents inside the kindle interface.
EDIT:
Additional info:
Frimware version: 5.4.4
Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi (As you can see on the left)
Never mind, I just figured out I had to install MKK and then KUAL.

Last edited by theluckyg; 03-29-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: misspelling
theluckyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #812
mg10
Connoisseur
mg10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
No need to do any restoring, just upgrade the firmware. The JB will likely survive, but if not just reapply it (or just apply the JB again anyway to be sure, there's no harm). Welcome to the forum!

As an aside, if you have any other hacks installed you will likely need to re-install them and also the MKK if you are using KUAL.
One more thing.
What about upgrading jb after firmware? Do I have to apply last version or uninstall the current one previously?
mg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #813
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mg10: For this one (targeting the K5 family), no need to run the uninstall.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #814
8bitg33k
8bitg33k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Hm. The jailbreak seems to be working fine. At least I can see the " ***JAILBREAK*** " thingy in "Reading Options" immediately after applying the jailbreak (although it disappears as soon as I navigate away from that page, dunno if this is normal). But when I put in any other .bin files (I tried the Python 08-NK4 as well as the USBnet one) the "Update" button stays greyed out.

How do I make the update button accesible?

EDIT: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, WiFi, bought in the US directly from Amazon, Serial 90D4, Firmware 5.4.2.1

I guess I'm not getting which Python file to use for my Kindle version. I suppose my PW2 translates into K4?

Last edited by 8bitg33k; 03-30-2014 at 01:24 PM.
8bitg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #815
8bitg33k

nvm, I figured it out via good old trial and error method/ brute force. Just kept putting different files until it was no longer greyed out
Old 03-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #816
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
it isn't a folder called "root", the root of a drive is like, for example, C:\ , that is the root. not in a folder or anything
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #817
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
oops wrong page
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #818
8bitg33k

I suppose it's pointless for me to install this since I have the 'Special Offer' edition. Other than the screensaver hack (which I understand wont work on mine), what other advantages does jailbreaking have?
Old 03-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #819
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@8bitg33k: basically everything that you'll find in this subforum? Check the stickies & the wiki.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #820
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitg33k View Post
Hm. The jailbreak seems to be working fine. At least I can see the " ***JAILBREAK*** " thingy in "Reading Options" immediately after applying the jailbreak (although it disappears as soon as I navigate away from that page, dunno if this is normal). But when I put in any other .bin files (I tried the Python 08-NK4 as well as the USBnet one) the "Update" button stays greyed out.

How do I make the update button accesible?

EDIT: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, WiFi, bought in the US directly from Amazon, Serial 90D4, Firmware 5.4.2.1

I guess I'm not getting which Python file to use for my Kindle version. I suppose my PW2 translates into K4?
Your PW2 translates into PW2.

The packages for a 90D4 Kindle must be packaged with at least version 1.6.0 of the Kindletool, perhaps some of the links you are trying have not been re-packaged (yet).
Ref: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #821
pwilla
pwilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Hi, I have a B0D4 (PW2, 5.4.2) and can't seem to install the jailbreak (1.9.N), I hit Update and it goes to Error U007, then restarts. Anything I could do?

Thanks!
pwilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #822
Huku
Huku began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hello, I just did the jailbreaking on Kindle PW2 with 5.4.2 and it went fine. Now I want to fix the margins when reading MOBI files (with a value close to zero). Can you please tell me what to do after installing the jailbreak? I've been reading through the forum but cannot find the answer - do I need to install some kind of patch! Thanks a lot!!
Huku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #823
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@pwilla: Clear the USB root, reboot your device, and try again.

@Huku: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...53#post2527653
Old 04-02-2014, 01:27 AM   #824
Huku
Huku began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@pwilla: Clear the USB root, reboot your device, and try again.

@Huku: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...53#post2527653
Thanks a lot NiLuJe! Going to do that later today. To be hones I was reading the JBPatch topic but did not understand that is the way to go
Huku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #825
khazaddum
Enthusiast
khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Does this disable the effect of Commands such as ;ReadingTimeReset ?
They are not working anymore, can't figure out why.
khazaddum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch