Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-20-2008, 02:03 AM   #31
rjh
Connoisseur
rjh doesn't litterrjh doesn't litter

Device: TungstenT3 Nokia770 BeBook
Probably one of the devices with the largest disconnect for those who haven't experienced one is the photoframe. I bought our first photoframe some years ago; they weren't very common and could only be bought sight unseen from online retailers.

When you explain what a photoframe is, people invariably react with "So what?" and are usually dismissive or just can't see the point. Yet, photoframes are an essential adjunct to digital photography.

http://hindesite.wordpress.com/artic...oframe-review/

But the reaction from people who see a photoframe for the first time is totally the opposite.

Photoframes are now available at retail and are starting to become common. E-readers have exactly the same problem, it will take some time to establish a critical mass so people will come into contact with them casually before they know they need to buy one.

There is another issue with photoframes, and that is, that people who have never used one seem to think they are qualified to influence the design. Hence, the absolutely pointless inclusion by some manufacturers of video and audio playback, to the detriment of the primary use of the device. Same could apply to e-readers; let's get the basic features sorted before adding wifi, video and colour!
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #32
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
I just bought a N810 and it is truly awesome. While not as suited as an e-ink for ebooks, it still does an excellent job. I love the implementation of evince and fbreader on the tablet. I only wish PDF allowed text reflow with zoom. I use mobipocket and ereader via Garnet VM and documentstogo to convert my files when needed. That coupled with Easy Debian (Deblet- which runs alongside Maemo), make this this is an aesome device.

That being said, I have no experience with the iPod Touch. I hear good things about it, however. The only reason I did not look further at the iPod Touch is due to the closed source nature of the software, and the larger screen on the N810.
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:35 AM   #33
prijikn
prijikn began at the beginning.

Device: None
The Nokia get more more features and the iPod has some cool features but is a mp3 player. And the nokia it's more expensive than an iPod Touch.
prijikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #34
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by prijikn View Post
The Nokia get more more features and the iPod has some cool features but is a mp3 player. And the nokia it's more expensive than an iPod Touch.
For the Noka, it does depend on which model you get, the N800 or the N810.

You can get the n800 with 2 8Gb Sd cards for about $250 if you shop around.

The newer N810 is more expensive at about $350, but you do get a smaller size, QWERTY keyboard, GPS,etc. and you'll need to get a single higher capicity card as it only has single Mini SDHC slot.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote