Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-29-2020, 04:09 AM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
This one https://www.digitec.ch/en/amp-page/t...r-screen-17060 says that it has 300dpi in b/w mode, 100dpi in color. Does that mean that the color layer can be turned on and off with software?
From the Wiki, here's a close-up of the screen:

And from another thread, a closeup showing some 'black' areas:

The switchable elements are at 300dpi. The colours are at 100dpi. Because of the offsets of the colours, any area now black at 300dpi will blend to white, so for a black and white image the screen appears to be 300dpi. When colour is overlaid, it can has a 100dpi resolution.

In the difference of resolutions, it's rather like old PAL TV. A high res monochrome overlaid with a lower resolution colour image.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:46 AM   #17
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
From the Wiki, here's a close-up of the screen:

And from another thread, a closeup showing some 'black' areas:

The switchable elements are at 300dpi. The colours are at 100dpi. Because of the offsets of the colours, any area now black at 300dpi will blend to white, so for a black and white image the screen appears to be 300dpi. When colour is overlaid, it can has a 100dpi resolution.

In the difference of resolutions, it's rather like old PAL TV. A high res monochrome overlaid with a lower resolution colour image.
Thank you. Or in other words, the screen is suitable for black text on white-ish background for the black and white mode. So forget white text on black background. I wonder if the FW is smart enough to render black always at 300dpi independent of the color.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2020, 04:49 AM   #18
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
This one https://www.digitec.ch/en/amp-page/t...r-screen-17060 says that it has 300dpi in b/w mode, 100dpi in color. Does that mean that the color layer can be turned on and off with software?
It means that in Kaleido nine EPD dots cover an RGB cell. That 300-ish vs 100-ish is no better than dumb theory, aristotelians vs the pandemic.
Check the doubts I raised in the other thread, check all the pics, maybe start from
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=329162&page=8
you will find many from #114 on but there are more in other pages.

EDIT: And really, with this confusing mess, what I wrote with the "9 dots covering 1 cell" is again very probably wrong and wholly virtual. Some has spread the idea of a resolution decimation, which I could not see in the photos, and a cell was thought to be square (to go from ~300 to ~100). But if the actual algorithm is by subpixels, W and K and greys are rendered at 300DPI, and since you need 3 EPD dots to render a 12bits colour the very virtual resolution of colour is 173DPI, not 100 (300/sqrt(pixels_per_colour)).

Last edited by mdp; 07-29-2020 at 10:42 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:56 AM   #19
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you. Or in other words, the screen is suitable for black text on white-ish background for the black and white mode. So forget white text on black background. I wonder if the FW is smart enough to render black always at 300dpi independent of the color.
(Simultaneous postings)
I think the OS renders the bitmap to be fed to the display system agnostically, then the display controller translates that as best as possible. Hence, the "reasoning" will always be at 300dpi.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:11 AM   #20
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
(Simultaneous postings)
I think the OS renders the bitmap to be fed to the display system agnostically, then the display controller translates that as best as possible. Hence, the "reasoning" will always be at 300dpi.
That would be too bad if that is true. I have to check out your other link. More potential if there is a mixed mode. E.g. reflowable text in black at 300dpi over a static color. Wouldn't even need to be reflowable for a graphic novel to be able to zoom in to read the scaleable text if necessary.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2020, 07:07 AM   #21
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
That would be too bad if that is true. I have to check out your other link. More potential if there is a mixed mode. E.g. reflowable text in black at 300dpi over a static color. Wouldn't even need to be reflowable for a graphic novel to be able to zoom in to read the scaleable text if necessary.
I do not understand: what I wrote should be good news - you should not get logical resolution downscale anywhere, only physical constraints. I see that it seems that the display gets the "master to reproduce" in full resolution, so the only degradation comes out the actual tinted filter aspect - as expected.

Reflowable text and zoom are OS logic. The controller, it seems, translates whatever bitmap results from those into a display config, like a printer which does not know anymore what is vector or raster, but that the next dot should be green so it has to output some yellow and some cyan.

In this case - tests could be made - I think the controller reasons like "If input is red and here filter is red, then white otherwise black".

A few have mentioned a dramatic resolution loss: it is not there, because the controller reasons (it appears by looking at what is available) at subpixel level ("subpixel" here just meaning that theoretically, and pretty much only theoretically, an EPD dot is one ninth of a virtual "any colour" pixel - but this is ininfluential because the system works at """subpixel""" precision). Then, expect all black vector to remain pretty much faithful, and colour vector to be inhevitably - but not 100dpi - jagged, and colour raster to be similarly "bound to the medium". Check the photos and comparisons.

Last edited by mdp; 07-29-2020 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It looks like the RGB filter has 1/2 width colours so that each cell is 1/2 clear and 1/2 R or G or B. Thus 300 x 300 in mono, with less loss of brightness than a full per subpixel filter and 100 x 300 in colour, but all colours are pastel, desaturated by about 50%. An interesting compromise that suits comics.

The 1/2 pixel width colour fringing on high contrast edges will be hardly visible and wouldn't affect text. LCD and OLED already use subpixel addressing to deliberately add colour fringing to increase text resolution. This does similar, partly in the physical structure.

Last edited by Quoth; 07-29-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #23
scionmessenger
Enthusiast
scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Color PB633
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've got a feeling Cyfranek has dealt with this seller in the past, so I'll take his word on this. GoodEReader has been taking orders on the PocketBook Color for over three months now, that's not what happened with this Polish dealer.
I preordered April 24th. Goodereader was supposed to get them on July 15th. They arrived a week late. I received my shipping info today, but it says it is coming from Hong Kong. They are based in Canada but have offsites in hong Kong. I live in NC in USA so it's weird their not shipping from canada as its closer. I guess all their supply is in hong Kong. When I reached out last week they said they would be recieving 100 a week and had 300 preorders, so if you preordered you should get it in no more than 3 weeks I guess. I'll post up pics when I recieve it.

Last edited by scionmessenger; 07-29-2020 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Quote bracket error
scionmessenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:01 PM   #24
scionmessenger
Enthusiast
scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Color PB633
Hey everyone. Here is a link to all specs, pics and manual

https://fccid.io/2AUVWPB633
scionmessenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #25
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionmessenger View Post
Hey everyone. Here is a link to all specs, pics and manual

https://fccid.io/2AUVWPB633
thank you for the link. it looks like the glass substrate is broken in the external photos. hence the tear down.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Goodereader has a 'review' up. What they call a review is really more of a hands-on in my opinion, but maybe I'm being too pedantic.

Hey, I'm glad this is a thing. But watching them handle a color ereader, I didn't get that 'I want it!' itch I got when I first saw the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. A reader with a lighted screen changed the game for me, at least. Color? Not so much.

ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:51 AM   #27
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Yeah, it'd be nice to have, but I'm not trading 2 inches of screen for color. Will be interesting to see how the other ereader companies adjust. Wonder if we'll see color Kindles and Kobos by next year.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:19 PM   #28
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
It didn't even trigger "nice to have" for me.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #29
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
at last something that slightly raises my curiosity level. a 6 inch screen (my preferred size) with page turn buttons plus a welcome return of the external micro SD card slot. i'd be tempted to buy it even without the colour. the down side being the usual glass substrate, buy hey it's still worth to me, i have a lot of coloured illustrated books.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #30
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Goodereader has a 'review' up. What they call a review is really more of a hands-on in my opinion, but maybe I'm being too pedantic.
I was curious to see how it rendered text at small font sizes. Unless I missed it they only demonstrated large and very large fonts.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote