Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Libre Pro and Adobe DRM?

Hi everyone.

My local Big Lots is selling the Libre Pro for $47, and I want a back-up reader that I can take to places that are too dangerous for my precious Sony 950 (like the gym or the beach). Before I splurge on this, I just wanted to double-check that the books I've bought from various places and unlocked with my Adobe DRM account, can be used on the Libre Pro.

I'm also curious if I will be able to authorize it with my Sony account, since my Sony software is how I manage library books.

Thanks.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The current firmware should let you "authorize" the device with your ADE, it will count
as one of your allowed number of devices, I would expect.

Don't have any idea how the Sony software works.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The current firmware should let you "authorize" the device with your ADE, it will count
as one of your allowed number of devices, I would expect.

Don't have any idea how the Sony software works.
Good enough. Since it's only going to be a back-up device, the library books are not vital. As long as my ADE books will work on it, I'll be all set. Thanks!

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 01-05-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #4
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

I got it! It's tiny, especially compared to my 950, but very cute.

Sony's software does not recognize my new little baby, but Calibre does, and calls it a Jetbook, which I understand is the same device, just different print on the front. It's plugged in through USB right now and telling me it's charging, so I will go through the firmware thread later and see if it needs updating or not. I expected it to come with a 2GB SD card, but looking through the documentation in the package tells me it's not included, so I need to get one. I have 10MB storage right now... not nearly enough for my Calibre library.

So far, so good. The little one is very different from the 950 (nearly 20 buttons! ), but it has lots of potential. I will play with my new little eReader this weekend and figure out his place in my gadget family.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The hardware for both the Libre Pro and the regular jetBook are the same, but the
firmware makes them two different devices, in many ways. I just ordered a Libre Pro,
last week from Geeks.com for $40, but I have had a number of the jetBook Lites for
some time now.

The Libre Pros that don't come with the 2GB SD card have the free library of public
domain ebooks on the internal memory, you might want to connect the USB cable to
your PC and transfer them to a folder on your PC. You can then put them on a "Library"
SD card (4GB cards are pretty cheap right now) and add new books and/or folders by
using a card reader on your PC. You can get a good USB 2.0 card reader for ~$3.

You can have Calibre work with the "Library" SD card at the much faster USB 2 rate.

You might also want to make a folder on your PC for the other non-ebook files and
folders that are in the root of the internal memory, so you have a backup set if you
should need it in the future.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The hardware for both the Libre Pro and the regular jetBook are the same, but the firmware makes them two different devices, in many ways.
Ah, that makes sense. Though now I'm a bit curious about why Calibre thinks I have a Jetbook, since I assumed it looks at the firmware of the device... Not that it matters, as long as it works.

As for the rest of your post, yes, I did back up the 100 free books to my laptop, and then to the desktop as well, just as I've done with the books on the 950. I'm going to grab myself a cheap SDHC card before the weekend is over and transfer the Calibre library to it, and then I'll be all set.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard

In terms of the hardware interface over USB and the screen/display parameters they are
the same, to Calibre.

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Robbie447
Rocket Robin
Robbie447 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
[QUOTE=ScalyFreak;1914775]Ah, that makes sense. Though now I'm a bit curious about why Calibre thinks I have a Jetbook, since I assumed it looks at the firmware of the device... Not that it matters, as long as it works.
QUOTE]

I know this thread started a few weeks back but I just got here... B)

To start off, regarding your question above, from what I was able to read online the Jetbook is the same device as far as hardware goes but the software on the Jetbook is better at displaying foreign language characters while the Libre can read more eBook Formats. So they claim...

I got a Libre Pro during the boxing day sales and have been getting used to it. I didn't want to spend too much on my first eReader and this one went on sale for $49.99 so I figured it was a good time to take the plunge. Noone will argue that the display in the Libre is as flashy as that on some of the other eReaders but what I have discovered is that as a READER it is far easier to live with than some of the other big names. A friend bought a Kobo Touch at the same time and half the time is wishing she'd gotten the Aluratek instead regardless of price difference. The cheap little Aluratek seems to read more formats and behaves better in general with most eBook formats. Plus it comes with the carry case and wall charger which most others don't and it will work in Canadian Libraries, which a Kindle won't. The super low price models don't include an SD card but I had a spare 8 gig so that was fine, and later decided that my spare 2 gig was big enough to hold a sufficient collection of books and music. Overall I couldn't be more pleased with it.
Robbie447 is offline   Reply With Quote