Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-19-2016, 06:13 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Kindle Dx Keeps Freezing, Keeps Disabling Reading Tools

(I don't know whether to ask this here, or in the developer's corner. It involves the device, and five different software tools for it.)

I have a used Kindle Dx.

It freezes a few times each day. It goes completely unresponsive. Since I can't get to the menu to restart from the menu, I have to hold the power switch for 40-odd seconds to restart that way.

It disables the reading tools I've installed a few times each day too, especially after restarting.

I have installed Launchpad, Kual, KindlePdfViewer, and Librerator on it.

I haven't been able to start KindlePdfViewer. It shows up in Kual, but doesn't open when I select it in Kual. I can't manage the key combo. I could try uninstalling and/or reinstalling.

I have sometimes been able to start Librerator. It doesn't show up in Kual. I can usually manage the key combo. Sometimes that starts Librerator, sometimes that yields a message saying "Success!" but doesn't start Librerator, and sometimes it yields "ll" in search. I have to either reinstall Librerator or Launchpad to fix these bugs, each day, sometimes a couple times each day.

I had previously used Duokan. It's possible that this has screwed up my Kindle.

It has two pry-holes on the left side, presumably from previous repairs. It doesn't have the original power adaptor. I have been using my computer and a 5v=2a Dell power adaptor. It's possible that there're problems with the usb connection and/or the battery.

It keeps claiming to be connected to the computer after I've unmounted the disk on the computer. That may be normal.

It runs from 100% power to 80% power in a couple hours, with wifi off. That may be normal.

Any idea what could be going on or how to get the Kindle to stop freezing and stop disabling reading tools?
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:25 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An obvious question to ask: does it freeze if you don't install these tools?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
It has two pry-holes on the left side, presumably from previous repairs.
FYI, I think those "pry-holes" of which you speak are not from (or for) prying, but rather cover attachment slots (a design feature). A photo of yours would help, to be sure.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-20-2016 at 09:34 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An obvious question to ask: does it freeze if you don't install these tools?
I hardly tried it before installing these tools.

I bought it to read my pdfs and djvus, and the original software has a lot of trouble with pdfs and can't read djvus.

P.S. And the holes are uneven.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
geekmaster is right: A photo - one, of course, that follows our Posting Guidelines - would be most helpful.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
MarjaE
Guru

It keeps running down in about 48 hours, too, even when in the screensaver, and with wireless off.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:18 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That probably indicates a dying battery, which is hardly surprising if it's a DX.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
MarjaE
Guru

Okay, thanks. In the long run I should probably get a replacement battery. I can't watch videos, which rules out most replacement instructions. In the short run, are there any steps to slow the decline?
Old 07-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Okay, thanks. In the long run I should probably get a replacement battery. I can't watch videos, which rules out most replacement instructions. In the short run, are there any steps to slow the decline?
Why can't you watch videos? You are on the Internet so I don't see why not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:10 PM   #10
MarjaE
Guru

I have sensory processing issues. I have trouble with flashing lights and with some animation. These don't mean I can't ever watch video, but I can get nasty migraines from video, so I keep avoiding video, and I haven't updated Flash. I have to use video-blockers, gif blockers, and scripts to use the internet.

I recharged the Kindle again last night. It's now lost about 24% of its power in about 12 hours, which fits with my previous estimate that it runs down in about 2 days.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given the age of the DX, it does sound like the battery is dying. You can purchase a new battery from NewPower99. Since you have a problem with video, I suggest finding someone who can watch the video and help you replace the battery.

https://www.newpower99.com/SearchRes...x=0&Search.y=0
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle dx, kindlepdfviewer, kual, launchpad, librerator