Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 06-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #31
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
What browser are you using? The same problem happens with Dolphin and the standard browser for my phone, but it works with Chrome (checked). It looks like the problem is sending the answer for CC Cloud to handle the dropbox info.
I tried with Dolphin, Opera, and Chrome.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #32
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The Oracle of Google reports that this is not an infrequent problem, particularly on Samsung devices.

I have considered doing authentication inside a "webview" (a small dedicated web browser) inside CC so that no device web browser would be involved. This would eliminate the redirection problem and the "what should be used to finish" dialog, at the cost of not keeping authentication cookies or saved passwords. In other words, you would need to log in again every time you clear cloud connection information. What do you think?

NB: I asked on the Dropbox forum if there was any way to use the Dropbox app to authenticate and give permissions without using their SDK, something that is an even better solution. Nobody has answered. That might change when Monday happens on the west coast of the US. We will see.
Webview is ok if you can't get an answer about Dropbox.
Advert
Old 06-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #33
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Apparently one of my attempts worked, but I still get asked to login or get the webpage not available when I try to connect again. I tried with my Nexus 5, Nexus 7, and Tab S, do I don't know which one was successful.

I received this in an email from Dropbox, and I can see in my account on Dropbox.com that CC is a linked app.

Quote:
Hi Purple,

You've connected a new app, 'Calibre Companion', to your Dropbox. Awesome!

You can check on this and any other apps you've added by visiting your account page.

Happy Dropboxing!
- The Dropbox Team
Old 06-22-2015, 03:15 AM   #34
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Apparently one of my attempts worked, but I still get asked to login or get the webpage not available when I try to connect again. I tried with my Nexus 5, Nexus 7, and Tab S, do I don't know which one was successful.

I received this in an email from Dropbox, and I can see in my account on Dropbox.com that CC is a linked app.
What that means is that you were able to log in to dropbox at least once when CC started the browser. The first time Dropbox will grant CC permission and send you and email. However, CC does not know it has permission and does not have the magic cookie until the response makes it back to CC. It must keep asking until it gets that cookie.

I will look using a webview today.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:00 AM   #35
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I had a similar experience when using Opera I got the error in the attached image. When I switched to chrome it was fine.

I am surprised that authenticating to or via the local dropbox app is difficult when coding for more than one cloud provider since it seems that multiple apps do it. I have to believe they can use other cloud providers as well.

Anyway I poked around and downloaded some books. I noticed the downloaded books were missing the Series metadata. I also saw that you will be releasing a fix.

Looks good so far.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-22-03-30-25.png
Views:	140
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	139501  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2015, 05:05 AM   #36
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I had a similar experience when using Opera I got the error in the attached image. When I switched to chrome it was fine.

I am surprised that authenticating to or via the local dropbox app is difficult when coding for more than one cloud provider since it seems that multiple apps do it. I have to believe they can use other cloud providers as well.
In order to use the local app I must use their SDK (Software Development Kit). Every provider's SDK is different, sometimes fundamentally, so using the SDK makes supporting multiple providers much more difficult. The CalibreBox and Calibre Cloud people have both complained about this.

In any event, I am switching to an internal "webview" that takes care of the redirection.
Quote:
Anyway I poked around and downloaded some books. I noticed the downloaded books were missing the Series metadata. I also saw that you will be releasing a fix.
I released the fix yesterday (V4.0.0b). Hasn't it been offered to you?
Old 06-22-2015, 05:17 AM   #37
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
In any event, I am switching to an internal "webview" that takes care of the redirection.
Sounds good.

Quote:
I released the fix yesterday (V4.0.0b). Hasn't it been offered to you?
I must have swiped the notice away. I now have the updated app. And the fix works fine.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:24 AM   #38
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

V4.0.0c released

Changes in this version:
  • Change to webview (internal browser) for authenticating.
  • Add a built-in simplified template processor to generate file names. Unless you run from source, this won't work with wireless device connections until the next release of calibre.
  • [BUG FIX]Fix Onedrive crash navigating folders

@peekpoke: the webview also doesn't allow pastes into the Onedrive login screen. On the other hand, the Keepass2Android soft keyboard works fine.

@All: the ability of a webview to save a password is Android version dependent. It seems that the possibility was removed in Kitkat.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #39
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

V4.0.0d released

Sorry about the rapid-fire releases. Release 4.0.0c didn't remove the web view after an initial authentication. To see the cloud data you had to disconnect and reconnect.

V4.0.0d fixes this.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #40
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Success! Here's my thoughts so far. All comments below are using my Tab S.

I was confused when the screen showing folders I could connect to showed the Calibre folders with a check mark. I couldn't tell if I needed to uncheck the ones I didn't want and of course that's what I tried to do first. I should have realized that you can only connect to one at a time. I don't know if anyone else would be confused about this or not.

I went to settings and reset cloud connection, but after connecting was shown a blank screen. After disconnecting and reconnecting again the screen displayed properly.

I got a message that the book could not be saved to device memory. I have Kitkat 4.4.2 and have my books set up to save on the sd card. I am rooted.

Is it possible to show which library you are connected to somewhere? Maybe the upper left where it now shows 'CC Cloud'?

Is it possible to show a count of how many books are in each category?

I like the 'on device' category. I keep all books on my device, so this is an easy way to see what's missing.

I like the way the settings are now condensed, but I think a change is needed to allow me to view the settings while connected, but not change them. I wanted to check where my books are saved to, but I couldn't because I was connected.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #41
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Success! Here's my thoughts so far. All comments below are using my Tab S.

I was confused when the screen showing folders I could connect to showed the Calibre folders with a check mark. I couldn't tell if I needed to uncheck the ones I didn't want and of course that's what I tried to do first. I should have realized that you can only connect to one at a time. I don't know if anyone else would be confused about this or not.
I will add a "help" screen telling the user what the check means.
Quote:
I went to settings and reset cloud connection, but after connecting was shown a blank screen. After disconnecting and reconnecting again the screen displayed properly.
I cannot repeat this. That said, I suspect it is caused by cookies left behind by the Dropbox site. I will change CC to clear all cookies.
Quote:
I got a message that the book could not be saved to device memory. I have Kitkat 4.4.2 and have my books set up to save on the sd card. I am rooted.
CC Cloud uses the same code as the wireless device driver and the content server. Do they work? Does the "cloud" problem happen on every file or occasionally? If occasionally then probably Dropbox is rate-limiting CC. If on every file then could you send me a debug log?
Quote:
Is it possible to show which library you are connected to somewhere? Maybe the upper left where it now shows 'CC Cloud'?
This isn't a good place to put it. People using a phone would not be able to see it. If the general consensus is that it is useful then I will need to take a line in the header. I hesitate to do that because the vast majority of people have only one library.
Quote:
Is it possible to show a count of how many books are in each category?
I assume that by category you mean "every tag" or "every author". After hours of hassling with SQLfoo I think I can display the count for the first letters (except for title) and for the items themselves.
Quote:
I like the way the settings are now condensed, but I think a change is needed to allow me to view the settings while connected, but not change them. I wanted to check where my books are saved to, but I couldn't because I was connected.
This isn't something I want to do. It would require that instead of disabling a preference group I would need to change something for each preference.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #42
Thomas_AR
Zealot
Thomas_AR began at the beginning.

Device: Android
The latest alpha "d" seams to break sending books to device via Wifi from Calibre.
(I will check further if it is not an other mistake by me.)
Also when connecting CC to Calibre (Wifi), Calibre checks up to 89% of the books in CC and than it takes nearly 4 minutes for the rest (freezing).
Went for testing back to latest stable, everything OK again.

Last edited by Thomas_AR; 06-22-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Thomas_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:31 PM   #43
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I cannot repeat this. That said, I suspect it is caused by cookies left behind by the Dropbox site. I will change CC to clear all cookies.
I just tried this again with the same result.

Quote:
CC Cloud uses the same code as the wireless device driver and the content server. Do they work? Does the "cloud" problem happen on every file or occasionally? If occasionally then probably Dropbox is rate-limiting CC. If on every file then could you send me a debug log?
I only tried a few books, but it happened with every one. I connected to the content server and successfully downloaded a book.

Quote:
I assume that by category you mean "every tag" or "every author". After hours of hassling with SQLfoo I think I can display the count for the first letters (except for title) and for the items themselves.
Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks.

I'll send the debug log.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:16 AM   #44
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_AR View Post
The latest alpha "d" seams to break sending books to device via Wifi from Calibre.
(I will check further if it is not an other mistake by me.)
Also when connecting CC to Calibre (Wifi), Calibre checks up to 89% of the books in CC and than it takes nearly 4 minutes for the rest (freezing).
Went for testing back to latest stable, everything OK again.
The regression has been fixed with release 'e'.

I don't see any reason why the alpha releases of CC would take longer for calibre to check metadata than before. Any chance you changed cover sizes? In any event, let me know if it remains slow on the second connection and I can try to determine why.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:19 AM   #45
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just tried this again with the same result.
For the life of me I cannot repeat this. What exactly are you doing to cause it to happen? Is the progress spinner running?
Quote:
I only tried a few books, but it happened with every one. I connected to the content server and successfully downloaded a book.
The underlying libraries have a bug. Book names containing square brackets are not properly encoded before sending the request to the cloud. Alpha "e" works around that problem.