Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Cloud Collections 101 (K4 or older -> Cloud Collections world)

This is a reposting of a string of messages that I found useful. This will get the string out of the middle of a 65++ page thread, and make these posts more searchable in the future.

The thrust is "I want to see collections plus books that aren't in a collection and it isn't clear to me how to do that."
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
Congrats and enjoy!!! You'll adjust in no time.

ETA - You have to download your books first. I can't remember exactly, but the same collections from the KK should be under "Cloud" next to On Device, open the collection you want and start downloading the titles, by tapping/clicking lightly at the bottom. You'll see it say pending and downloading. Once finished it will show on your device. To see your collections you have to select collections from the far right list, and you can choose which items to see in the second to last drop-down list, i.e. "all items, books, periodicals, docs, collections, active content".

For instance if on the far right you select "most recent" and the next to the last you choose "all items" you will get just that. I keep mine configured to All Items, Collections. With that configuration you get your collections and uncollected items behind. You have to choose to show your Cloud Collections in all views to see them in all views, otherwise they're only in certain places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
Thanks, pghaworth. I have downloaded a few books - some in collections and some not. I don't seem to be able to see collections plus books not in collections even following (I think) your instructions. Maybe this is new on the Voyage? I will play some more. Maybe even read the manual?
Quote:
You're welcome. Your local collections need to marked as starred in order to show in all views. Go to your collections, hold briefly, mark show in all views (star them), then sort by All, or whatever on the next to last list and Collections on the far most drop-down list. That should do it for you.
Quote:
Thank you again! Another question. IF I have all the collections starred and IF I have the menu set to show all items, does it make sense that books should show up on the main page even if they have been placed in collections? On my old kindle, the items actually in collections only showed up in collections. I have wifi on.

Yours in confusion,

k4k
Quote:
You're welcome! To get that view, all items (DDL), recent or title (DDR). If you don't want collections showing along with recent or titled items then you need to remove the stars from collections with stars so that they show only in collection view.

Far right drop down set to recent will show whichever was most recent, including starred collections, set to title, will show all items (if that's what is set in the next to last drop down) by title, including starred collections, set to collection will show starred collections followed by uncollected items.

Next to last drop down set to docs, collections, etc. will react as above, but mere restricting the view to only those items.

So for example, next to last DD set to collections, far right DD set to recent will give you only collections sort by most recent. If set to collections (DDL) title (DDR) then your collections - the only thing that will show - will be sorted by title.

These things apply to each view using DDL (drop down on left) and DDR (drop down on right). I keep mine on DDL All items, DDR on Collections so that I see my starred collections first, then uncollected items afterward.

Experiment a little. See what works best for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's only true if you have the home page set to "Collections" view. In the other views: author, title, and recent, books will show up listed separately on the home page as well as in collections. Remember that a collection is not a folder, but a "tag" that's associated with one of more files. Adding a book to a collection (or to multiple collections) doesn't "move" it anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
If all the books are in Collections and you have the centre sort to ''All Items'' and the far right sort to ''Collections'' only the starred collections will show on the home screen, no individual books unless they are not in a collection.

If you've starred all collections then you will see all your collections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's the key - to be in "Collections" view. All the other views will show collections AND the books in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMark View Post
Your recent posts have helped me immensely, or I could've read the manual!

Thank you very much!

Quote:
OK, I think I've got it now. There are two drop down menus on the right side of the screen:
Set the left-most one to Books (or all items).
Set the rightmost one to Collections.
Make sure all the Collections are starred to show up in all views.

NOW I get collections first, then books that are not in any collection on the following pages.

Whew!! That was a toughie!

I think I eventually figured all this out -- or at least, I managed to display a few starred collections PLUS some books not in collections (as described above). But it was very confusing.

Surely there are other people who are also finally jumping into the Cloud Collections world, now that there is a touch kindle that also has buttons. This is "info for those new to Cloud Collections" 101.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
This is a reposting of a string of messages that I found useful. This will get the string out of the middle of a 65++ page thread, and make these posts more searchable in the future.

The thrust is "I want to see collections plus books that aren't in a collection and it isn't clear to me how to do that."
Thanks! I can't wait until I start side loading my Mobileread books. I expect another set of issues then.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Questions asked in another thread
1) Does an explicit "sync & check for downloads" cause the pw2 to sync then and there? I would certainly expect it to, from the action's name.

2) And PS when I've done a long-press on a book title, and I'm adding it to collections -- if I make several collection changes (un-check CURRENT, and also check ImDONE and maybe IN2014 and SERIES, for instance) is a 15-20 second wait time NORMAL? I'll have to actually time it later, but it's long enough that I keep trying to touch "done" several times to make sure it actually *heard* me (registered my touch) and thus I wind up pressing whatever what UNDER that on the underlying screen.

Is this amount of wait normal?? [This is for a new Voyage, but it HAS had a week to index)

Answers
1) Yes Sync and check causes an immediate sync, but in my experience it can still take a couple of goes of this to reflect all changes if you made them on another device or app. (I tend to make my changes on an iPad kindle app as its easier for me than my PW2)

2) I also get a delay when I press done with the PW2, it's not the indexing on the device that causes the delay its the 'checking' in with the cloud that takes the time as its trying to ensure that any changes you make to your collections are immediately reflected in the cloud. The idea is that you can make a change on your Kindle then sync on a device with a Kindle app (for example) and the charges you just make on the kindle are reflected on the app within minutes.

I guess the delay could be the wifi connection or how busy the Cloud Server is.
It's anoying that its not instantaneous I know that much.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote