Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Use SD Card for Library

Has anybody tried this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Glowworm
I just threw together a quick hack for using your sdcard to store your library without rooting your glowworm or nook simple touch.

Many folks feel that the Nook Touch and Nook glowworm just don't have enough storage. I've repartitioned my unit so I have ~ 1 gig of onboard storage, but for folks with hundreds of books, that's actually not enough storage.

It turns out that you can very easily (three commands) tell your Nook device "hey, use this directory for storing files from BN, willya?" - and that directory can be your sdcard. (This approach will also work on the Tablet and Color devices; however, enhanced magazines probably won't work using this approach.)
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Did I miss something? Where are the three commands?
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where it says "Originally Posted by Fat Glowworm", the Fat Glowworm is a link. Click on those words and you will be taken to the three commands.

EDIT: OK, I just ran the quick script, and it worked without a hitch. I now have a 8 GB Nook!

Last edited by MovieBird; 09-19-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
dust
dust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: nook
Has anyone else successfully done this on a Simple Touch?

How does the library react to different cards being inserted, does it update itself to match the new content, or still feature the missing items?

I'd be interested to know how to reverse the process as well.
dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
MovieBird
TuxSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust View Post
How does the library react to different cards being inserted, does it update itself to match the new content, or still feature the missing items?
If you insert a new, blank card, then you must select each volume in your library to download again. It does not automatically download your library for you.

If you insert a new card with stuff on it, then those books will show up in your library and you still have to re-download your library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust View Post
I'd be interested to know how to reverse the process as well.
I've not done this, but I assume you can just reverse the mv command in the shell file.

I must say it's really nice having my entire library on my device now.
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
dust
dust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy bluedust can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: nook
Thanks for the info. I've successfully carried this out on my Nook Simple Touch, an 8gb library is quite an upgrade!
dust is offline   Reply With Quote