Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Haunted house stories

At the moment I feel like reading a good haunted house novel, the problem is that I can't find any that appeals to me as ebook (my wishlist for pbooks, however has grown in the last hour of searching).

I think I've read (or dismissed) most classic haunted house stories; Shirley Jackson, MR James, William Hope Hodgson, Poe, etc.

I like the old fashion type stories but I also like full blown horror and true ghost stories or "based on true events" type novels or those set in hospitals/mental asylums. In my search I dismissed most I found because they have (half) naked people on the cover and those types of story lines I'm not insterested in.

Thanks in advance!
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Hell House by Richard Matheson
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson
The Shining by Steven King
Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker
The House by Bentley Little
The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddon
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!

Some of them I've already read but are worth a reread. The other are added to my wishlist.

I like House of Leaves, took me a while to finish, but I don't think it will be a very hard/impossible novel to convert to ebook!
Old 04-12-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I haven't read it, but was recently very impressed by another by the same author: "Hideaway Hospital Murders" by Robert Burton Robinson. This is creative commons, available on manybooks. I'm assuming it's set in a hospital from the title! Have it on my long TBR list.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
This is probably too mild for you, but who knows? (it's more a character drama with a haunting): "The little stranger" by Sarah Waters.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A classic of that genre would of course be Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw". You should certainly read that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
This is probably too mild for you, but who knows? (it's more a character drama with a haunting): "The little stranger" by Sarah Waters.
Thanks, it looks interesting so I put it on my wishlist. Mild doesn't mean I won't like it. I find that mixed-genre books are often very interesting and a lot of the times I like them better than many gory horror novels.

Quote:
A classic of that genre would of course be Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw". You should certainly read that.
I read it in secondary school but I didn't really get the end iirc. I've been planning to dig the pbook out and reread it, but I've got so many new and unread books on my TBR list at the moment that I haven't gotten to it yet.

Last edited by Rumpelteazer; 04-12-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
You might look at Joe Hill's book 20th Century Ghosts
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can find it at Project Gutenberg.

Here's the link:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/209
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:46 AM   #10
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I don't need to read about haunted houses... I've already lived in one...

OK, so it wasn't haunted by evil spirits, just a nice old lady in a wheelchair... She looked out for my kids, while we were there... My daughter talked about her the most.

When I first sensed her there, I just mentioned to the kids, that she was there to look after us... They were never afraid of her.

Several people died, when they tore the house down a few years later..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #11
jonsbjons
Connoisseur
jonsbjons doesn't litterjonsbjons doesn't litter

Device: PBook301
I would recommend you very good anthology of Victorian novels, "Not only Holmes" but, unfortunately, it's in Russian. http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id...&img=1 # pages
Nevertheless, in the content lists there are such authors as Mrs. Henry Wood, Grant Allen, KL Pirkis, Israel Zangwill, Arturm Morrison, Fergus Hume, LT Meade and Robert Eustace, Mary F. Wilkins, FM Scheele, Robert W. Chambers, Melville Davisson Post, M. McDonnell Bodkin, Guy Boothby, E.U. Hornung, Clarence Rook, Victor L. Whitechurch, Baroness Orczy, Jacques Fatrell, R. Austin Freeman, WH Hodgson, Arthur B. Reeve, Ernest Bramah, Anna Katherine Green.

Would like to read in the original (too).
jonsbjons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsbjons View Post
I would recommend you very good anthology of Victorian novels, "Not only Holmes" but, unfortunately, it's in Russian. http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id...&img=1 # pages
I love Victorian horrors! Mostly because of the atmosphere created in those novels. So I'm certainly going to see if I can find works by those authors when I have time.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #13
jonsbjons
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I love Victorian horrors! Mostly because of the atmosphere created in those novels. So I'm certainly going to see if I can find works by those authors when I have time.
Very well understand you)) Hope that soon this book to be translated into English. It's worth it.

Now I can offer you the article of this author. He was not only the sherlockian, but also ripperologist.

http://www.casebook.org/suspects/vassily.html

Last edited by jonsbjons; 04-15-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #14
jonsbjons
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I don't need to read about haunted houses... I've already lived in one...

OK, so it wasn't haunted by evil spirits, just a nice old lady in a wheelchair... She looked out for my kids, while we were there... My daughter talked about her the most.

When I first sensed her there, I just mentioned to the kids, that she was there to look after us... They were never afraid of her.

Several people died, when they tore the house down a few years later..
What a splendid story! I'm just envious. You can add something else?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #15
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Yes... In the main bedroom there was a button she could press, which would start a red light in the kitchen blinking (on/off). The light came on randomly.. We had it checked out, but it wasn't even connected anymore.

She spent most of her time with my daughter... My son never noticed her, but my gsd x, Schaefer, was very unsettled in the beginning... Then even he started to accept the fact, that we were living with a ghost, but he did prefer to be outside.

We only lived in the house for 6 months, before it got demolished. It was on a 2 acres block, and developers wanted to build unit on it.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote