September 28, 2006 5:53 AM Acceptance OCEANSIDE, CA *
September 28, 2006 4:38 AM USPS Entry OCEANSIDE, CA
September 28, 2006 2:40 AM Sortation Center Departure LOS ANGELES, CA
September 27, 2006 9:20 AM Sortation Center Arrival LOS ANGELES, CA
September 27, 2006 12:00 AM Pickup LONG BEACH, CA

I haven't installed the connect software - the $50 credit comes I guess when
the reader is registered.

Instead I loaded a 2 Gig SD card with a mixture of things, PDF's mostly for the
Iliad, books for the Libre, text, html, and the PSR-500 Guide which I downloaded
from the internet. The books were sorted into directories on the SD card
but when I turned on the Reader they all appeared together in the
book list, except for the html which is not supported, some 133 books. Holding
the size button down shifts to landscape making pdf file for the Iliad
easily readable - The text displayed well - pictures better than expected considering that
there are only 4 levels of gray.

Last edited by Paul Moews; 09-28-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Paul Moews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Congratulations

Did you notice any difference between different kinds of PDF (regular, iLiad, Sony Manual) in rotating and zooming?

Thanks in advance!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Nice! I wish mine had a Sortation Center Departure time... I anticipate seeing folks across the country crowing about the arrival of their readers as the day's go by and my reader makes it's way to NJ. Tell us everything about your new toy!
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Moews
Received the Sony reader - about noon today - The parcel was evidently
dropped into my post office early this morning and my postman delivered
it today.
Wow Paul, that makes you a first! Would you mind to attach some photos to this thread for us (package, reader, ...)?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi Paul, congrats on your new toy!

You got an iLiad as well, right? Excellent. Would it be possible that you made a shot of the iLiad screen next to the Sony under the same light conditions?
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2006, 08:37 PM   #6
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
I think Paul just got reborn in eReader Nirvanaland and won't be back with review pics anytime soon ...
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
And who can blame him
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
We can create "Paul Blame List" in the Wiki. Anyone with blame issues would be able to update it
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Congratulations on the first receipt of a Reader!!!! You are in just the right location, you lucky dog! Those of us in the east must be more patient.

When you try the desktop software, you should find that you can form collections. You are supposed to be able to create a collection. Then after you drag a book into the library, you can move it to a collection. One of those specifically has to be dragged in at the top level first (maybe into the library). I forget now. But once you have collections, they are much more naturally grouped, even if they don't match the directories automatically. I guess that's one more reason to use the desktop software to load a book.

Let us know how that works for you and the "tricks" as you discover them!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:18 PM   #10
Rechard
Rechard began at the beginning.

Congratulations! could you attach the manual of Sony eReader in here? or where can i download it ? Thank you!
Rechard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:21 PM   #11
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur
bugsbunny14 began at the beginning.

rechard here u go

sony reader manual
bugsbunny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:33 PM   #12
Paul Moews
Enthusiast
Paul Moews began at the beginning.

sample pictures

Sorry - It's dark in California - Here's are two fuzzy pictures
taken under fluorescent lights - Both the Iliad and the Sony display
have the same gray color - almost identical . One advantage of the
Sony is the size button. It works for BBeB book files and text, probably
also for rft althought I haven't tried it yet. Small is default, medium at
one push, large at a second push, and then recycle. It does and doesn't
work for pdf files mostly doesnt but now and then a pdf file zooms both
in portrait and landscape - ??

Better pictures when the sun comes up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pict1.jpg
Views:	1804
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1629   Click image for larger version

Name:	pict2.jpg
Views:	1714
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1630  
Paul Moews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:35 AM   #13
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I'm quite jealous.

Now that you've received yours, could you tell me if the powersupply is 240/110v or just setup for the US at 110v. It's not a huge deal since the reader can be charged via USB but it'd be nice to know.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:20 AM   #14
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
I'm quite jealous.

Now that you've received yours, could you tell me if the powersupply is 240/110v or just setup for the US at 110v. It's not a huge deal since the reader can be charged via USB but it'd be nice to know.
Yeah, I would like to know the same! ANd I'm also jealous.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:46 AM   #15
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
Some of the reviews said it's the same as the PSP adapter. I have one and it's 110-240. However, you will probably need a plug adapter, since I think US uses flat contacts instead of round.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote