Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #46
acastillo
Enthusiast
acastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505, Apple iPad
Looking forward to this. . .

This appears to be exactly what I am looking for.

Currently, I have my PRS-505 for my reading pleasure, but I am hoping to start my law office next year.

In preparation for my venture, I have been looking for something that would display material in a larger screen - either the Kindle DX or Sony DailyEdition. I also wanted it to read Microsoft Office format as well as PDFs and ePub. (doesn't OpenOffice allow you to save as *.doc instead of *.odt if you desire?).

Now if the Que will have all that plus also have a printer drive so that it could print to the device, then I think that I am set. I can see myself walking into a courtroom with the sleek black device and have all my caselaw at my fingertips

However, the cost may determine what I get. I would hate to go with an Apple product, but if the rumored iTablet can get me all that for less, then I may change my mind.
acastillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #47
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
will this be out on jan 7th or just more details given?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #48
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
January 7, 2010 is when we find out about the QUE, not when it's available.
From the press release:

Full product specifications, availability and pricing of QUE will be announced on
January 7, 2010 at CES.

http://www.quereader.com/press/QuePr...ase_101909.pdf
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #49
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by acastillo View Post
However, the cost may determine what I get. I would hate to go with an Apple product, but if the rumored iTablet can get me all that for less, then I may change my mind.
Apple products are really well designed and functional as long as you only do with them what Apple thinks you should do with them. Of course the "for less" usually doesn't apply to Apple products. They don't do "low end".

I'd love to see this product come in at $500 or less... but alas I think it will be closer to $800. We will see.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:03 AM   #50
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But bear in mind that they have to recoup all the R&D costs for it - which must be considerable, to say the least. I would be very surprised to see this in the Kindle DX price range, I really would.
Except the way that is done in these modern, large scale business times is not to overprice the product out of the gate because that guarantees failure. A company like this will have been surviving on VC capital and will continue to do so. Their first product has to be relatively popular because it will actually not be used to recuperate anything, it will only be used as a dog & pony show for getting more capital to further build the supply chains and the next products, licensing deals, etc. And most importantly, to go public with a meaningful valuation.

So there's no necessity of the investment thus far being recuperated with this initial release. If they intend to sell in the USA and they price it notably above any device that can be easily compared to it (validly or not) they'll be laughed out of the market. These guys don't seem to be unaware of market pressures or concern especially since they're strategically focusing attention on their upcoming entry into the market despite not really having a product ready to go.

Remember the Kindle DX is almost $500 as it is. $489. That's not even close to cheap and Amazon seems okay with it. I would expect this device to be a little more, probably $549 with a strong marketing campaign about how it blows any remotely similarly sized/featured device out of the water to drum up some big numbers.

We'll see
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #51
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3

This is going to be pricey, but then, I might be richer next year. We shall see.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #52
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

will the que be android based? web browser?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:37 PM   #53
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
will the que be android based? web browser?
It is WinCE based. We don't know if it will have a web browser.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #54
oncdoc
Addict

this is "the one" cant wait.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #55
oncdoc
Addict

can we get a plasticl logic forum for que?
Old 10-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #56
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is WinCE based. We don't know if it will have a web browser.

Well, I thought I saw something about email, which points encouragingly towards that much use of the web.

I wonder if Amazon thinks it made a mistake in giving everyone who buys a Kindle a lifetime (well, life of the Kindle, anyway) no-extra-charge Internet connection. I see that the other vendors aren't repeating that move.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #57
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I wonder if Amazon thinks it made a mistake in giving everyone who buys a Kindle a lifetime (well, life of the Kindle, anyway) no-extra-charge Internet connection. I see that the other vendors aren't repeating that move.
Yes, but this does not apply to devices (like the Que) with WiFi.

It is clear that any touch-screen device (even EInk) can easily support a basic browser, so the only question is whether the vendor wants to spend the time getting this to work and maintaining it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #58
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Well, I thought I saw something about email, which points encouragingly towards that much use of the web.

This to me is the primary innovation with the Kindle. I expect to see it in other future devices. The cost of the infrastructure built in to the business expenses...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #59
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Well, if you read the contract/license they only say Whispernet will always be free for shopping/downloading bought books and Wikipedia. They browser is experimental and subject to possible usage fees.

Also, the connection can only be used for features built into the kindle, you are not allowed to hack it to do tethering for example. That will get your account closed faster than you can say jack rabbit.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:03 PM   #60
oncdoc
Addict

cant wait for this one.