Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-17-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Wikipedia for TomeRaider updated 12/2004

You can now download updated versions (December 30, 2004) of the Wikipedia encyclopedia in the TomeRaider format. Six databases for TomeRaider 2 are available for download:

- English Wikipedia (537 Mb)
- German Wikipedia (236 Mb)
- French Wikipedia (81 Mb)
- Polish Wikipedia (53 Mb)
- Dutch Wikipedia (44 Mb)
- Esperanto Wikipedia (12 Mb)

The file naming scheme is as follows: File names all start with TR2_WP for TomeRaider 2 Wikipedia, followed by (P)PC, PALM or EPOC for platform, followed by a two letter language code (EN, DE, FR, PL, NL or EO). For Palm users the English database comes in 20 parts: WP_EN_PALM_AB, etc.

A set of files for TomeRaider 3 are supposed to follow in the next few weeks.

If you are using another reader, don't give up yet. You could try downloading the current Wikipedia database file and converting it to your favorite format.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
stobs
Connoisseur
stobs is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
for the German Version:

in TR3-Format (TomeRaider3), it can be downloaded here http://www.axelschaefermdb.de/more.php?id=197_0_1_0_M
(as you can read here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...tuelle_Version)

-Stobs.
stobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
And attached, are some examples of the FULL Wikipedia, Wiktionary, and Wikiquote in Plucker format, which does not require separate files or indices, created and converted by myself.

More on this later...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ep01.png
Views:	740
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	475   Click image for larger version

Name:	ep02.png
Views:	761
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	476   Click image for larger version

Name:	ep05.png
Views:	694
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	477   Click image for larger version

Name:	dp03.png
Views:	783
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	478   Click image for larger version

Name:	dp04.png
Views:	667
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	479   Click image for larger version

Name:	dp06.png
Views:	733
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	480   Click image for larger version

Name:	mq01.png
Views:	653
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	481   Click image for larger version

Name:	mq02.png
Views:	707
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	482   Click image for larger version

Name:	mq06.png
Views:	653
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	483   Click image for larger version

Name:	mq03.png
Views:	740
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	484  
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:05 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
And attached, are some examples of the FULL Wikipedia, Wiktionary, and Wikiquote in Plucker format, which does not require separate files or indices, created and converted by myself.

More on this later...
Are you planning to release this one? The screenshots look beautiful!
Old 01-18-2005, 05:22 AM   #5
Arnaud
Enthusiast
Arnaud began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
does it -already- exist in iSilo format ?
does someone plan to ?

thx
Arnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
mobilepilot
mobilepilot began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten T3
Very impressive! Great way to showcase Plucker. Hope you'll make it available soon. What is the size of the wikipedia pdb?
mobilepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:18 PM   #7
gmc
Reader
gmc began at the beginning.

Device: X50v
This looks great!.
If you did release it would it be readable om my pocket pc with Vade Mecum?
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc
This looks great!.
If you did release it would it be readable om my pocket pc with Vade Mecum?
Yeah I think so (hacker correct me if I am wrong). So far, I was able to open and read any Plucker document just fine with Vade Mecum!
Old 01-19-2005, 08:49 AM   #9
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnaud
does it -already- exist in iSilo format ?
does someone plan to ?
I'd be interested in that as well.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:59 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by stobs
for the German Version:

in TR3-Format (TomeRaider3), it can be downloaded here http://www.axelschaefermdb.de/more.php?id=197_0_1_0_M
(as you can read here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...tuelle_Version)

-Stobs.
Thanks Stobs. Just downloaded it!
Old 01-20-2005, 04:06 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

At PDA247 I came aware today that Stéphane Magnenat offers a Perl script for download which is supposed to automatically convert the Wikipedia SQL database to Plucker files.

Google revealed more interesting links to Wikipedia conversion tools:
Wiki2static
Wiki2Zaurus - Wikipedia for the Zaurus
wikijserver
Tero-dump

With those tools, it should be easy to convert the database to any reader format that supports large files (e.g. iSilo). I'll give it a try tonight.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:16 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Wiki2static.pl doesn't work for me. When I try to run it, it says "Unknown open() mode '<:bytes' at wiki2static.pl line 841.". I have Perl 5.6.1 installed.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #13
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
At PDA247 I came aware today that Stéphane Magnenat offers a Perl script for download which is supposed to automatically convert the Wikipedia SQL database to Plucker files.
You can try it, but it won't work so well. You can't take a SQL dump and convert it to clean, usable HTML very easily. I tried this script at first (as well as about 12 other solutions, some of which you mentioned below) and decided it was best to write my own tools to handle the conversion.

Quote:
With those tools, it should be easy to convert the database to any reader format that supports large files (e.g. iSilo). I'll give it a try tonight.
Tero-dump is another mess. I actually tried to work with the author to update it to work with the current Wikipedia, but alas, he wasn't interested, so I dropped that tool as well.

They might work for some though, to convert the flat information to flat information, in a hacky, mostly-broken format, but the only way to do it right, is to make the entire package functionally navigatible, which you can see from my screenshots. It looks and feels exactly like the real thing, minus the front page articles. I rolled my own front end on top, to give it a proper TOC on down.

I've mentioned this before in another post here, but you can see the project pages evolving for these three projects here:
Old 01-20-2005, 09:36 AM   #14
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
So will the conversion tool be released when its done? Will it be shareware, commercial, or freeware? Or will the Wikipedia mobile edition be sold preconverted for Plucker or custom viewer?
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:52 AM   #15
hacker
Technology Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetguru
So will the conversion tool be released when its done? Will it be shareware, commercial, or freeware?
None of the above. The tool will not be sold, given away, or made public in any way.

Quote:
Or will the Wikipedia mobile edition be sold preconverted for Plucker or custom viewer?
Yes.