Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 11-11-2004, 04:10 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
eBookwise launched

eBookwise, an affiliate of fictionwise, is a new commercial e-book store that sells e-books for Gemstar GEB 1150, GEB 2150, REB 1200, and GEB 2200 devices.

If you don't have a dedicated e-book reader yet, you can also buy their new reader eBookwise-1150 (a re-branded GEB 1150 device) for $99.95, which includes a $20 content bonus. Not a bad deal for a dedicated hardware reader with a viewable screen area about as big a paperback book. I would like to know if you consider buying this device!
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 04:33 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
The problem with this device is that, at least to my knowledge, you are stuck to reading e-books in the fictionwise format. If someone knew how to 'upload' your self-made e-books, it would be a different story.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I agree, the reader really needs to be able to read at least one open format to be any sort of option for me (and I really like the smaller size of my h1930 )

I feel it's a step in the right direction though, especially with the price!

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:50 AM   #4
peterg22
Mobile Advocate
peterg22 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie TJ37,Nokia 6600
Angry *sigh*

I'd much rather Palm or even Sony build a wireless PDA with that size screen and a fold-over cover. I really don't need another device of that size that can't do other stuff as well. It would be extremely useful to have a paperback-size screen to surf the net with. I've written to various parts of Palm to suggest this, and more, but do they listen to what the punter wants ? Nooo....

(short answer - no I wouldn't buy this)
peterg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:16 AM   #5
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
Quote:
If someone knew how to 'upload' your self-made e-books, it would be a different story.
There is some talk about developing some sort of conversion capability at least enough so that owners can import/convert books from Gutenburg or Blackmask. Still just talk, we'll see.

Frankly, I think this device does two things:

1. Reassures the big name publishers about DRM enough so that they will release big name titles in an ebook format.

2. More importantly, knocks many steps off the learning curve about buying, downloading, syncing ebooks as compared to PDA's. There are many folks that just want that dedicated, reader - easy to use and cheap. The price is much more consumer oriented than Cybook.

I did order one of these eBookwise readers. I could not resist the price. I'll let you know what I think once I get a chance to use it. I doubt it will replace my PDA.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Brad,

I think you're right about a place for this sort of gadget... if it can carry it off in a way that an average person would be comfortable with. In setup, book acquisitions, and the actual reading has to be pleasurable, of course.

I look forward to hearing what you think of it.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Screen: Back-lit 5.5" diagonal 4-bit grayscale LCD touch screen; half-VGA resolution
I'd like to see a picture of one of these devices working, because this sounds to me like the screen of a Vx. If it's the same technology, then it's not worth 100 dollars, as it is very hard to read from it.
Update: it looks that it's the same screen as in the Clié SJ20. Only bigger, I guess.

Last edited by Francesco; 11-15-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 05:23 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
VGA is what - 640 * 480? So half-VGA would be 320x240, that is the standard PocketPC resolution.

But the eBookwise comes with a 5.5" screen, that is gigantic compared to PDAs! I am curious how this turns out. Either it'll be a wonderful relief for your eyes (mine are complaining that the PDA screen is too small), or the fonts will be so pixelated that you can basically count each dot. Cannot wait to hear back from the first hands-on reviewer!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:07 PM   #9
Brad
Zealot

One of the members at the Fictionwise group says that the 1150's screen is very readable. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Fictionwise/

Years ago I had a Rocket eBook reader and I remember that sceen as being pretty good.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:40 PM   #10
WarStrider
WarStrider began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket Reader Pro
I bought two.

They will make good Christmas presents for my brother and nephew, who have been envious of my Rocket eBook Pro.

As far as I know you can download txt,rtf,doc and html files from your computer into the ebook reader. All you need is the Rocket Writer utility.
WarStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 04:51 PM   #11
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The more I hear about this little gem, the more I like it. I think ebookwise are onto something big here, and it will hopefully take off in a big way. They're doing the right things (cheap reader, heaps of excellent titles, ease of access to those titles).

Heck, I love reading on my ipaq, but I might consider one of these as well if I could pick one up "down under" easily....

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:01 PM   #12
Brad
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarStrider
They will make good Christmas presents for my brother and nephew, who have been envious of my Rocket eBook Pro.

As far as I know you can download txt,rtf,doc and html files from your computer into the ebook reader. All you need is the Rocket Writer utility.
Hi WarStrider and welcome to Mobileread.

I hope you will let us know what your brother and nephew think of their eBookwise readers. It will be good to hear other opinions.

They announced today on the mailing list that eBookwise just signed with HarperCollins to add their books to the store. They also announced they have 900 titles from Random House and more new titles are being sent for conversion. I see this as a good sign that eBookwise will be able to sell current bestsellers.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:27 PM   #13
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
It definitely sounds great. I just read at ePublishing Blog that Blackmask has added native support for the eBookwise-1150. Looks like everyone is going to love this thing!
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 09:09 PM   #14
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
The problem with this device is that, at least to my knowledge, you are stuck to reading e-books in the fictionwise format. If someone knew how to 'upload' your self-made e-books, it would be a different story.
I am still unsure but it looks like you can import personal files in txt, html and rtf formats as well as older rb files. If this is true this reader looks like the ticket. Can anyone confirm this? I have wanted an ebook reader for a long time but wanted one that could display html ebooks.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 10:23 PM   #15
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I don't want to spoil the party... but!
But I would advise everyone to play with it LIVE, before ordering this device. Brad posted a link to his review, which features very cool close ups, which I cannot find right now...
Here they are!
Ok, well, the greenish look in the background of the display reminds me of my old Vx, which was very hard to read under 50% of the light conditions one would normally encounter, no matter how big and bold the font would be.
I haven't seen one of these devices, and I doubt they'll make their way to Mexico in the near future, so my opinion is based in those pictures only.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote