Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #31
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
There's that write a novel in 24 hours deal. But not a few literary novels have been written quickly. It's called inspiration. When it hits, it pours out of people. Even the greats.

"When it hits, it pours out of people."

Hmmmm.....there are unfortunate associational images with that sentence.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And what of "The Sound in Grandpa's Underpants?" and "The Fury of the Relatives"

I think those were sequels.

Oh, wait a minute: Two prequels. (I forgot we're talking Indy, here.)

And for good measure, at least one misspelled word is mandatory: pregueals.

Advert
Old 08-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think those were sequels.

Oh, wait a minute: Two prequels. (I forgot we're talking Indy, here.)

And for good measure, at least one misspelled word is mandatory: pregueals.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Eight years to write a literary novel sounds about right.

Nine days to write a genre novel is way too long.

<snip> for brevity.

Phhllllbbbbbbbftttttttttttttttt. Hell, it takes me longer than 9 days to do the damn OUTLINE.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:13 PM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Phhllllbbbbbbbftttttttttttttttt. Hell, it takes me longer than 9 days to do the damn OUTLINE.

Hitch
"There's yer problem Earl, we don't need no steeeeenking outlines."
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
"There's yer problem Earl, we don't need no steeeeenking outlines."
That, kennyc, I can well believe. ;-) I know, I know...I'm an obsessive outliner. I'm having a discussion on another thread about writing tools, and I think that the other participants all think I'm bonkers. Me, Ludlum and whats-is-face, Patterson: by the time each of us is done, half the damn manuscript is in the outline itself. ;-)

Y'know, some folks can pants. I can't. I have--and trust me, I can't. I once threw out 60,000 words (yupperdoodle, 60K words), because I pantsed it, and it was dreadful. No mas pantsing for moi.

Hitch
Old 08-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #37
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Hitch

The story should be the outline!

Publish the Outline AS the story! That's the ticket.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
The story should be the outline!

Publish the Outline AS the story! That's the ticket.
Yes, well, if one is publishing a book in 9 days, that's probably about it. I think my current outline is 14 pages, and that's for the first Act.

Hitch
Old 08-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #39
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, well, if one is publishing a book in 9 days, that's probably about it. I think my current outline is 14 pages, and that's for the first Act.

Hitch

You've gotten me very curious about the story.....

I remember what my writing teacher told my (Prof. Jauss, an O. Henry winner for Best Short Story of the year), when he asked the class how many short stories he thought an author could write in a year. He said an author was lucky if he/she could complete 3 or 4 in that time.. Of course, we're talking 'literary' short stories, not genre fiction.

So, your story should be ready in about, oh.....2 or 3 more hours? ---- Just joking!
Old 08-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #40
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
You've gotten me very curious about the story.....

I remember what my writing teacher told my (Prof. Jauss, an O. Henry winner for Best Short Story of the year), when he asked the class how many short stories he thought an author could write in a year. He said an author was lucky if he/she could complete 3 or 4 in that time.. Of course, we're talking 'literary' short stories, not genre fiction.

So, your story should be ready in about, oh.....2 or 3 more hours? ---- Just joking!
LOL. Well, I might best be described as She Who Must Have Delayed. ;-)

There's nothing fancy about it, really. I have had this on my (at that point, untitled as such) bucket list for a long time--simply to finish this ONE book. I may never publish it, or submit it to Agents, etc. I started out with one book....quite a while ago. After 62,000 words, I decided I really, really HATED it. And I didn't like the genre. However, bits of it had a mystery that popped up in it, and a character that my critique group LOVED.

So...I nuked 60,000 words of it. Yes, threw them right out. But I kept 1380 very excellent words, and one great character. I decided to form a book with that character, in a different (mystery) genre. It's NOT literary; I have no such lofty goals nor pretensions. Just a plain ol', plain ol' mystery. After allowing it to sit fallow for some years, I've picked it up again, with a simple requirement (given my schedule), of 250 words/night. 90K in a year, to whittle down to 80-ish, I'd guess, during the rewrites.

But, I'm not a spring chicken, and when I first learned writing, back when we had to duck and evade raptors at lunchtime, we spent time on developing other things--themes, sub-plots to display themes around the central theme, creating structure to support the story (actually, as PART of the story), etc. So I tend to create that way.

And, because I do, the outlining, so I can see everything I'm doing, how I'm moving the plot along; I can see where things might drag in the 2nd Act, or where the end needs fleshing out so it doesn't feel rushed. I can make sure I'm hitting my structure goals (the catalyst at point X, and so on). Ergo, liking something like Plot Structure. (Although: per our other discussion, I am 99% sure that I lost a bit of content from it, yesterday/day before. I'd been working on some in-depth character creation for a very important main plot character, and when I went to work on it some more last night, it was gone. Not cheery about that!). Outline's now at 17 pages. :-)

So, that's the story, so to speak. Nuthin' fancy. Just determined to finish it.

Hitch