Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
If you were interested in the integrated light, then I would wait for the Paperwhite hands-on reviews, but it doesn't sound like you need or want that (since you haven't mentioned it). So it sounds like a new Sony will work well for you!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
For what the OP has said, a T1 would probably be the better choice with a T2 in a close second. There is not that much difference at all between the two and the T1 can be found cheaper now.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #18
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
For pure reading pleasure, there is simply nothing to choose between the Kindle Touch and the PRS-T1, but if you have a lot of books on your device you'd probably be better sticking with Sony as it seems better with collections. The upgrade to the T2 seems pretty minimal, but slight improvements to the contrast and speed make it the one to buy of you are looking at current models.

If the new Kindle and Kobo with their increased screen resolution and integrated light is of interest, I'd second what elemenoP said, it'd be worthwhile just waiting a month or two for people to start using them and get some feedback. They do look a lot better than the T2, but do you actually want a light built in? And the specs and adverts only tell part of the story. Will the screen improvement really only be due to the light, will there be any issues with the light like the Nook has had, will the capacitive touch screen on the Kindle be better or worse than the IR touch screen the others use, how will the light really affect the battery life? Unless you are desperate, wait and see before deciding where to spend your cash!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
For what the OP has said, a T1 would probably be the better choice with a T2 in a close second. There is not that much difference at all between the two and the T1 can be found cheaper now.
Where can the T1 be found at a discount?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #20
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
JSWolf

It seems that the T1 is progressively vanishing, but you can get it from Futureshop at 120$ (not too bad) in Canada.

Few days ago, and for a while, the T1 was 100$.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #21
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Regarding the light, I compared NOOK Glow and regular NOOK. The extra light makes whole screen whiter, easier to read. (Some NOOK Glow have issues, but it is another story.) I am still waiting for reviews of new Kindle.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #22
Frescard
Enthusiast
Frescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I am wondering though, with all these lighted readers coming out now, if they will still be as easy on the eyes as the unlighted ones.
Sure, they're brighter, and may have bigger contrast, but so do regular LCD screens, but the whole point of eInk is that it is NOT bright!
They will probably look very impressive in the store (just like overbright TV sets), but have there been any studies so far (or at least some reports by long-time users), of how these lighted reader fare ergonomically?

I personally wouldn't really think that it'd be a good idea to stare at a bright screen in a dark environment (no matter whether it's back or front-lit).
If I read at night I turn a regular lamp on, so that the contrast between screen and environment isn't too extreme. I guess that's why the whole buzz about lighted readers hasn't really convinced me yet.

Of course, if you read in bed, with someone else perhaps already asleep, there might not be another option. But if I can avoid it, I would not want to read from a device that is several times brighter than the surroundings.
Frescard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #23
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frescard View Post
I am wondering though, with all these lighted readers coming out now, if they will still be as easy on the eyes as the unlighted ones.
Sure, they're brighter, and may have bigger contrast, but so do regular LCD screens, but the whole point of eInk is that it is NOT bright!
They will probably look very impressive in the store (just like overbright TV sets), but have there been any studies so far (or at least some reports by long-time users), of how these lighted reader fare ergonomically?

I personally wouldn't really think that it'd be a good idea to stare at a bright screen in a dark environment (no matter whether it's back or front-lit).
If I read at night I turn a regular lamp on, so that the contrast between screen and environment isn't too extreme. I guess that's why the whole buzz about lighted readers hasn't really convinced me yet.

Of course, if you read in bed, with someone else perhaps already asleep, there might not be another option. But if I can avoid it, I would not want to read from a device that is several times brighter than the surroundings.
With the nook glow, the brightness is adjustable and the light is very soft.

I've found it's been much easier to fall asleep after reading from the nook glow...vs a lamp on or my old book light.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:36 AM   #24
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The T1 is available at Amazon.

If Calibre and touch-only models don't mix as was mentioned above, don't go for the PaperWhite: it has no buttons except the on/off switch.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #25
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
Wow, i really agree with the author and Frescard about requirements of a good e-reader and the new light technology. In my eyes the perfect reader would be a quality built with pageturn buttons and touch (ir on sony is good enough) no wifi or audio (never use on my 950, long battery life, white screen, dark blacks high contras, light weight. No need for light. Thats all i need for a long satisfying read.
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #26
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I'd just like to thank everybody who has shared their opinions. I have decided to wait and see the reviews when the Paperwhite is released before making a final decision which to buy.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #27
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
I'd just like to thank everybody who has shared their opinions. I have decided to wait and see the reviews when the Paperwhite is released before making a final decision which to buy.
I wish I would have done that! I jumped right on the Paperwhite!

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #28
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
That's fine jersysman, if we didn't have people like yourself who bought these new e-readers on release, how would all us cautious folk be able to gather enough feedback to help us make our decision in a couple of months time?

soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #29
Sukiyaki
Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T-2, Nook HD+
After watching the reviews on goodereader, and taking in all the excitement here for the sony, I ordered the red sony prs t2 today. Thanks to this site for helping me decide. I was going to get the iriver, as it was cheaper, or the prs t1 as it can do audio, but they have both been out a while and for the prs I didn't want to have to hack it to get it to display fonts properly .

In case you're interested here are the reviews I watched:

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...reader-review/

They also put out one comparing the t1 to the t2, I haven't watched it yet.

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...e-sony-prs-t2/
Sukiyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #30
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
I am used to the responsiveness of an iPhone and the 650 is just too laggy for my taste, hence my wish to upgrade.
The 650 is pretty zippy. Clean all your books off and do a hard factory reset. That'll speed it up. Having lots of books on really slows it down. I don't know why ereaders behave like that but they all do.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote