Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #346
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1, M92, iPad 3, ex-JetBook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post

But paper has a far more reflective surface that Triton eink. So I have no trouble in reading JBC with direct sunlight because it has in reality a filter over it.

It is very strange that you said so because your photo seems to confirm my experience:

Attachment 84496

mod186k1,

Direct bright sunlight hurts my eyes no matter what I am doing: reading, driving, etc. I HAVE TO wear my sunglasses on DIRECT BRIGHT SUNLIGHT. It is not the question - paper, Triton eInk, front window in my car (that has some filter on it, too).

EDIT: From this point of view your comparison of DXG with sunglasses and JBC with naked eyes both on the same DIRECT BRIGHT SUNLIGHT doesn't make much sense to me. Does it make sense for you?
My point is: Even in the best light conditions for JBC (these best light conditions for JBC are obviously DIRECT BRIGHT SUNLIGHT otdoor) these device is still useless for me (the screen is TOO dark, ghosting) since I HAVE TO wear sunglasses with these light conditions no matter what I am doing outdoor when DIRECT BRIGHT SUNLIGHT is present.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-25-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Valentinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #347
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
No Valentinka, I wasn't talking about your photo, but about the speed factor.
mod186k1,

So you claim that your JBC "has instant response and functionality" (at least most of time when you are using it) like Ectaco describes it for their educational unit? We have (according you) 11 JBC's owners here (including me and youself). Does somebody else who owns JBC experiences INSTANT response with it? Not me for sure...
I experience INSTANT response with Kindle DXG (most of time), iPad 2 (always), Sony T1 (almost always), but not with JBC

EDIT: The person from the video that Dulin's Books found http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=dRmwCDaGSUI#
(look at around 5:20) obvoiusly doesn't experience INSTANT response with JBC, eather.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-25-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Advert
Old 03-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #348
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio ferrer View Post
Unless you have noticed: something is pretty funny as far as some postings are concerned ...
ignacio ferrer

I see some funny things here, too. And one of funny things is actually is related to you. Remember, on March 19 (6 days ago) I asked you a question (my post # 267) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...170312&page=18
and I never received the answer from you. I know, nobody is obligated here to answer all the questions. And you are not obligated, too. But I just find it funny.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-25-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #349
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Thanks as always for these last pics!
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #350
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Thanks as always for these last pics!
lorenzoens,

You are always welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
So there are two questions about JBC:
- is it good enough under perfect lighting conditions?
- is it good enough to be used in schools.
parkher
Absolutely logical questions. Your questions make sense to me.

I generally find that there are much more QUESTIONS about JBC than ANSWERS. I just wonder if Ectaco's representatives visit these forum sometime and read all these questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Most schools have office-like lighting, so they will be good places to use the JBC.
ProDigit,

I am not so sure about your statement. I think schools might have DIFFERENT light conditions, depending on their buildings architect's features, on school's budgets - how much they spend on improving or maintaining their light conditions, what kind of lamps do they buy for their schools if they have choices, etc., etc., etc.
How about the light at student's homes where big part of their reading on JBC will take place?
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #351
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinka View Post
ignacio ferrer

I see some funny things here, too. And one of funny things is actually is related to you. Remember, on March 19 (6 days ago) I asked you a question (my post # 267) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...170312&page=18
and I never received the answer from you. I know, nobody is obligated here to answer all the questions. And you are not obligated, too. But I just find it funny.
Well, some people get lost in the jungle ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #352
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Quote:
mod186k1,

So you claim that your JBC "has instant response and functionality" (at least most of time when you are using it)
Wait a moment. Please first re-read your own post here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=327

it stars with:
Quote:
Visiting JBC's educational website inspired me to explorer JBC's Graphing Calculator. It went slowly but finally did it.
I said its your subjective evaluation and so to give a "objective" evidence I post the video showing JBC while it computes the function as in your posted image.

That's all.

After that I can give you my personal judge about JBC speed, but it would be a "subjective" perception not "objective"

Cordially
AM

Edit: I edited this post replacing the word "judge" with "evidence" in <<...so to give a "objective" evidence I post...>>

Last edited by mod186k1; 03-26-2012 at 05:41 AM.
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #353
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Wait a moment. Please first re-read your own post here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=327

it stars with:

I said its your subjective evaluation and so to give a "objective" judge I post the video showing JBC while it computes the function as in your posted image.

That's all.

After that I can give you my personal judge about JBC speed, but it would be a "subjective" perception not "objective"

Cordially
AM
Okay, this thread has definitely fallen off a cliff by now - just my subjective observation: no, make it objective ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #354
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, maybe I didn't express my thought not well. I'll edit my post n. 353
Old 03-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #355
Valentinka
Zealot

One more opinion about JBC: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...inting-screen/
I wish I would find it a month ago - BEFORE I ordered my JBC
Old 03-30-2012, 03:32 AM   #356
mod186k1
Addict

Yeah: I suppose it was written by a users named here "Nate the great"

You can see his posts here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167816

Edit: Valentinka, I wish I would wait a little long too.... so I could have bought your JBC with few money instead of buy a brand new one But, as I said, I'm not a patient man

Last edited by mod186k1; 03-30-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #357
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Yeah: I suppose it was written by a users named here "Nate the great"

You can see his posts here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167816
mod186k1,

I don't know if this is the same user or not. But here (http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...inting-screen/) he clearly states:

Quote:
Guess what I think of the hardware?

First, the screen is gray. It’s so gray that I plan to call this ereader Dorian.

It’s not the pale gray that you might see on the Nook, Kindle, or other ereader. No, the JC screen is so gray that I think it is darker than the screen on the original Kindle. It is certainly darker than the screen on my Kindle DX...

Next, the screen refresh rate is slow. It’s not just slower than any of my 6″ ereaders; it’s also slower than my Kindle DX (the 2010 model). The KDX can refresh the screen at nearly twice the speed of the Jetbook Color. I have no word on when this will improve, but I hope it will be addressed in an update.

Finally, yes, the JBC does have a color E-ink screen. Unfortunately, the dominant color is gray. No other color is nearly as strong.
Also one of the comments there states:

Quote:
JBC, as any other e-reader based on e-ink technology, has not backlight. Since its screen has a gray color so dark, white backgrounds are also shown as dark grays. In my opinion, JBC doesn’t have the proper contrast for reading e-books. The severe lack of contrast causes eyestrain after one hour or two — ironically, people buy e-readers instead of LCD tablets to avoid eyestrain!

But maybe it’s just me.
I would say it's not just him...

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-30-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #358
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
its the same person as here.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #359
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur
rolexconfuse began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I don't own the JBC but I was seriously considering it until I saw t the specs and the weight of the thing. It's not what I was hoping for but it is a gen 1 device. If Eacto decides to continue R&D on it gen 2 may be way better.

I do have to give credit/respect to Eacto for coming out with a color e-reader. Look around us, all the big players are either making 6 inch e-ink devices or tablets.

I never understood why it was so hard for manufactures to come out with a great reader for textbooks.

All they have to do is

1. E-ink screen size equal to text book page diagonally

2. focus making page turning really fast

3. use a good/fast processor (and not something that's okay or passable)

4. 1 gig ram (stop with the barely getting by or workable)

5. light weight (no more than 1lb)

6. Don't need the battery life to last 1 month. 2 weeks is good, this is for educational use not for a trip to the safari/jungle

7. A physical button for TOC. no more digging around the menus.

8. A "reference" button that lets you jump back and forth between 2 books. Ex. you're readingbook A but you need to reference something in book B. Normally you'd have to go through the menu system/home screen to do this. But now you press the "reference" button and you're back to the previous book and on to the same page. You set the 2 books you want to jump between.

9. A physical wheel or slider that allows you to skim through pages/chapters. You set the amount of pages/chapters to skim through. Each time you flick the wheel/slider it skips X pages. Each time you push and hold the wheel/slider it skips x chapter. Image you were reading a textbook and needed to go back 7 pages for something. You would have to click 7 times back and then 7 times forward to get back to your current location. That's 14 clicks just to re-read something in a textbook. I mean in a real book when you're looking for something you don't flip page by page, you either flip section by section or chunks of pages at a time.

10. better bookmarking. When I book mark something I want to know what the heck I bookmarked. Give me the ability to name the bookmark

11. annotations

Please no extra junk that interferes with the reading experience

- no mp3 player
- no Wi-Fi
- no web browsing
- no apps
rolexconfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #360
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
@rolexconfuse: All they need to do is:

Invent the technology that will support the 11 points of your list of requirements. There is no such technology today. You can't get good battery life with a unit less than 1 lb and fast page turns with fast processors and huge ram and high resolution screens the size of text books.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote