Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #16
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I've become hesitant to call Amazon customer support because they wind up doing too much for me and I feel guilty.

"Hi, I seem to be having a minor issue with my Kindle."
"OMG I am so sorry, I'll take care of that. in the meantime someone will be arriving at your home in three minutes with a basket of muffins and some hot coffee."
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did use Apple support once. My iPhone 3G was broken. It looked perfectly OK. I took it to the Apple Store and they sorted it out no problem. I ended up with a new iPhone 3G. Not a refurbished unit, but brand new.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
It's only good if you talk to them on the phone. If you use email, it's pretty much completely worthless.
Not true...I have gotten refunds for digital music and books just using Amazon email.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #19
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I have also found their customer support to be exemplary.

I broke my first Kindle -- I dropped it and broke the screen. They sent me a refurb for 1/2 price and I was quite happy. Great customer service. This was all done on the phone.

I can also say that I've had good success with their email support. I bought an ice cream cookbook for the Kindle that didn't list the ingredients and they refunded my purchase without a hassle. I also bought a downloadable music album that was corrupted and they replaced it without a hassle. This was all done through email.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I've become hesitant to call Amazon customer support because they wind up doing too much for me and I feel guilty.

"Hi, I seem to be having a minor issue with my Kindle."
"OMG I am so sorry, I'll take care of that. in the meantime someone will be arriving at your home in three minutes with a basket of muffins and some hot coffee."
What number do YOU call? I would love some muffins...
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #21
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Apple, Amazon, and Netflix have all given me incredible customer support over the last few years. Which is why I continue to give them incredible company support.

(Which is a change from 10-15 years ago, when it was Dell and Sony who both actually had great customer support at the time, for me)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #22
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Absolute bunk. The screen on my Kindle just went out and I requested customer support call me. Which they did within 10 seconds. And within 5 minutes of speaking to the rep a new Kindle was on its way. Free of charge.

I'm sure everyones experience is different but this looks like the author went out of her way to smear Amazon and praise Apple.
My management professor was just talking about something similar in class. He had the screen have dead lines of pixels, called up customer support, and they shipped a replacement for free. Arrived the next day.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #23
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I had bought an mp3 w/o listening to the sample first...and it was the wrong one. I had used the credit I got from my KSO. The gave me the credit amount for the song back, within minutes of me sending my email. Amazon is awesome!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #24
c861556
Enthusiast
c861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
"The Kindle Support page simply told him to check his warranty, which had expired the previous week." The page "told" him. And the fact that they didn't even bother to contact the customer support through any of the available contact options (phone, e-mail, chat) didn't stop the offended missus from proclaiming that "the customer service aspect of its Kindle department is limited to non-existent." Simply absurd.

EDIT: Needless to add, my own experience with Amazon's customer support was deeply satisfying.

Last edited by c861556; 08-25-2011 at 11:43 AM.
c861556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is a person who claims to be a professional journalist? Astounding. Obviously the concept of "checking your facts" is no longer taught in journalism classes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #26
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
So this is her response?

Quote:
expired warranty

Thanks for these comments on Amazon's customer service - however, if your warranty is expired as ours was, than you don't have as much luck. But I'm glad to know it worked well for you!

[report comment]

Kimberly Palmer of DC @ Aug 24, 2011 09:44:51 AM
How does she know that "you don't have as much luck." She never even contacted Amazon Customer Service to see what kind of luck she would have.! Were they supposed to clairvoyantly know she had a frozen kindle at her house and fix it via thought waves? She just assumed they would do nothing, then reported it as fact that they would do nothing..... all while ranking Barnes and Noble and Apple higher .... even though she did no actual field testing of their Customer Service process either.

And "reporters" wonder why they are so poorly thought of these days.

I put "reporters" in quote because there actually are some real ones still out there. This lady, not so much. I've read sounder logic in 6th grade persuasive essays.

Last edited by abookreader; 08-25-2011 at 11:48 AM.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #27
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Excellent

They have excellent customer service. I was looking for a particular translation of War and Peace. They used to have it in their kindle store and no longer have it. I sent support an email. They responded back to purchase the hardcopy with one day shipping "on the house"!! Amazing customer service.

I was so flabergassted at that, I bought a later translation for kindle anyway!!
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #28
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did use Apple support once. My iPhone 3G was broken. It looked perfectly OK. I took it to the Apple Store and they sorted it out no problem. I ended up with a new iPhone 3G. Not a refurbished unit, but brand new.
Well that's lucky. I had the opposite experience. As an early adopter I had to threaten to take my money and early adoption tendencies else where to get some assistance. Apple CS? FAIL.

On the other hand, Amazon's CS almost sparkles like a diamond. It's just that good! I had a piss poor UPS guy who returned a book without trying to deliver. I called Amazon, Amazon put me on hold so THEY could call UPS. UPS told them they couldn't stop the return to Amazon. Amazon comes back to me and says they are sending a replacement book out asap. I received it the next day.

...along with a basket of muffins.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #29
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I don't know what to make of this:
Quote:
According to a ChangeWave survey taken during the last holiday season, 3 in 4 iPad users said they were “very satisfied” with the device’s E-reading capabilities, while just over half of Kindle users said the same thing.
I don't think that 3 in 4 iPad users do use it as an ereader.
Judging by the nature of the posts of most of the kindle owners on this forum, I find it hard to believe that only half of the owners would be “very satisfied” with the device’s E-reading capabilities. If you don't like the reading capabilities, you get a new device, because this one doesn't do anything else.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #30
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I don't know what to make of this:

I don't think that 3 in 4 iPad users do use it as an ereader.
Judging by the nature of the posts of most of the kindle owners on this forum, I find it hard to believe that only half of the owners would be “very satisfied” with the device’s E-reading capabilities. If you don't like the reading capabilities, you get a new device, because this one doesn't do anything else.
It helps to actually see the survey:
http://www.investorplace.com/2010/11...reader-market/

92% of Kindle owners were somewhat or very satisfied.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote