Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Flea Market

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #16
Tomoe
Tomoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
A free market works on the notion of a "perfect market", a part of which notion involves the idea that all participants have perfect information. We can never achieve perfect information but we can do our best. Anyone with any sense who is thinking of forking out $280 will do a bit of research. They'll find that the Sony Store has these listed at $299 but unavailable, and that Best Buy doesn't have them listed at all. The fact that Best Buy used to have them cheap might be useful information - if you are willing to wait and see if they have them again, for example. The research might take you to eBay, where you might find one cheaper, but no much and not NIB.

So, if I was in the market for one of these now, and I had done some research, I would likely think this was a fair price at the moment. It annoys me when I see people apparently trying to rip members off on MR, but I don't think this seller is doing that. Whether they get $280 is another question though.
Thank you for your comment, TGS, it is very well written, especially the part pointing out that free market in economic theory relies on assumption of participants being perfectly informed.
I did not think 300/280 is a ripoff price, I merely took objection to the way the seller dealt with JSWolf's comment and question - it was immature and reeked of typical SlickDeals flipper behavior - being upset at someone pointing out things that could negatively affect the selling price and preaching about their own partial interpretation of economic theory from their high horse.

Last edited by Tomoe; 07-17-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thing you don't do is let people know what it is you originally paid. You let us know what you paid by telling us these are new units from Best Buy. That was the problem. We then know how much you paid.

Also, you never did say that you were giving the receipt so the warranty can be honored if anything goes wrong past October. What good is being brand new if something happens in November when the warranty would be over with no proof of sale?
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #18
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
The commentary I made on your number of posts, and your complete NON contribution to this forum was a response directed about how close knit a community this is. It had nothing to do with the post you made.

Having said all of that, the free flow of information is one thing. Saying that I am being unreasonable in my asking price is another, given that he is actually COMPLETELY incorrect. There is a clear distinction to be made there, and, TGS made it VERY well in the post above.

Information is valuable, only if it's accurate. To say that someone can get this at Best Buy for $199 isn't accurate, and, as such, is a DIS-service to this community.

I'll address people with the same degree of respect that they demonstrate when addressing me. Respect is earned. It isn't deserved inherently.

So, I will ask you again. If I had bought a Mickey Mantle rookie 50 years ago for $1, would it be unreasonable of me to seek a sum of significantly more than $1 today, just BECAUSE I paid $1?

If I had bought this for $299 (full retail), would it then be more reasonable for me to be seeking the same $280 asking price? You seem like a reasonably intelligent person and, if you stop to think about these points for just one minute, you will realize the complete absurdity of the post that started this "war." It was both ignorant and incorrect (you can NOT get this for $199 any longer, on the open market). Those were my points.

And, since you claim that JSWolf's post was for the benefit of the community...I'm just curious. What information did he share in that post that would help anyone make an informed decision, and why? Did he state where this could be had for less?

Last edited by Japes; 07-17-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #19
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The thing you don't do is let people know what it is you originally paid. You let us know what you paid by telling us these are new units from Best Buy. That was the problem. We then know how much you paid.

Also, you never did say that you were giving the receipt so the warranty can be honored if anything goes wrong past October. What good is being brand new if something happens in November when the warranty would be over with no proof of sale?

If I still have the receipt, I will gladly provide it. Now on to your other, increasingly absurd points.

I paid $199 for these. However, that is none of your business, nor of anyone else's for that matter. When you walk into a store, do you ask the merchant their wholesale cost on a product? Not only would they laugh at you, but, they would likely kick you out of their store.

Furthermore, as stated above, what I paid, and it's present value are COMPLETELY unrelated to one another. Stop for a minute and think about this, before continuing to dig yourself a grave from which you will find it nearly impossible to dig yourself.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #20
Japes
Addict

By the way, if my cost were even remotely a consideration, I'm sure a site of commerce such as ebay would require this information before being able to list an item. I own a retail store, and, I've NEVER had anyone ask me my cost on an item. Why should this forum be any different?

Having said that, I paid $199 (and I didn't even have to pay sales tax). So there. How does that affect what price the market will allow? It doesn't. That's how. Because they aren't available for less money.

Either way, consider this listing closed. I will be selling it on ebay and will be updating everyone when the auction ends.
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #21
Japes
Addict

Tomoe, 3 of your 13 lifetime posts have been in this thread. You joined exactly one month after JSWolf 5 years ago. I'm guessing if a mod traces your IP, it will look curiously similar to JSWolf's, but, this is only a hunch.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #22
Japes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

So, you are no longer arguing that you were sharing information for the benefit of the community? You are now arguing that I was sharing too much information by stating where I got it? LOL.

Damned if you do...Damned if you don't. My goodness, man, get a clue.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice
This listing is now closed and the thread is now closed. End of comments, commentary, and bickering. Take the discussion off-site, please.

MobileRead Moderation Team.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-17-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Closed Thread