Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
glarus
glarus began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-650
Unhappy Is this screen damaged?

Hi folks,
I got my prs-650 8 days ago. Yesterday, after switching it on from stand by, I was terified to see the screen in the following state:

Do you think that this is a broken screen? I know that its rather obvious, however, I find it hard to believe it. It was working ok, but 10 mins later the screen was in this state. No one touched the divice in this period.

Regards,
Glarus
glarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Holy hell Batman! What did you do?!

I'd say it's broken. Call Sony, see what they say.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Classic picture of a broken substrate. The diagonal line is the fracture. Unfortunately this is not covered by the warranty, since it's always considered to be the result of user damage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Unfortunately yes. You could try your luck taking it back to the store you bought it from since it's still probably within the exchange period.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How does one damage a reader that bad ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Classic picture of a broken substrate. The diagonal line is the fracture. Unfortunately this is not covered by the warranty, since it's always considered to be the result of user damage.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't take much. Applying pressure to a point on the screen, or a twisting force will easily do it.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
glarus
glarus began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-650
After reading around the forum and other sites I am left the impression that eInk screens are an extremely fragile piece of technology. I am still clueless about the cause of the damage, i.e. the force that caused the screen to crack. However, judging by the number of people in similar situation it seems that this type of accidental damage is quite...common. Another question is whether the eInk device manufacturers take the necessary steps to precaution their customers about the "unique" durability profile of their products (at least throw in a case for five sake!).
glarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
nogrits4me
Enthusiast
nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.nogrits4me can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle 3 and Sony 350
Sorry to hear about your reader. Hopefully you will be able to work something out.
nogrits4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarus View Post
After reading around the forum and other sites I am left the impression that eInk screens are an extremely fragile piece of technology. I am still clueless about the cause of the damage, i.e. the force that caused the screen to crack. However, judging by the number of people in similar situation it seems that this type of accidental damage is quite...common. Another question is whether the eInk device manufacturers take the necessary steps to precaution their customers about the "unique" durability profile of their products (at least throw in a case for five sake!).
They're really not that fragile; I've owned innumerable eInk devices and had no problem. The key is to ALWAYS keep keep the device is a good cover.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
tigrangh
tigrangh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Sorry for your reader.(( The fact is that Prs-650 is one of the most reliable E-readers... How you did that?
tigrangh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Ereader screens are not hard to break. My husband had his in his briefcase in a cover, and he had also put a wine bottle in the briefcase to bring home on the train. The pressure of the bottle against the screen cracked it quite nicely.

It was a Kindle 1, and happened perhaps two years ago. I took it apart to see how it was made, and it appears to me that almost any pinpoint pressure will be enough to cause a crack.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Errr... take any piece of glass, put very localised pressure on it and it breaks... the only answer is don't do it!!! It doesn't make the screens particularly fragile, my 505 has happily survived travelling with me every day in the inside pocket of a jacket but it's in a case (Sony) which has a solid cover over the glass and its frame, it's 4 odd years old...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Ereader screens are not hard to break. My husband had his in his briefcase in a cover, and he had also put a wine bottle in the briefcase to bring home on the train. The pressure of the bottle against the screen cracked it quite nicely.

It was a Kindle 1, and happened perhaps two years ago. I took it apart to see how it was made, and it appears to me that almost any pinpoint pressure will be enough to cause a crack.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #13
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
I don't see any physical cracks, unless it's fractured along the diagonal line where the image is scrambled.

If that's something internal,and the external glass is intact, I would push back on Sony over this and get them to send you a replacement unit for exchange, or even better, take it right back to the store where you bought it.

If you do go the route of dealing with Sony, get them to send the replacement unit up front, with your defective unit being returned within 30 days.

Tell them that if they don't send you an immediate replacement unit, you will just return the reader to the store as defective.

When a manufacture is dealing with an out of box failure honestly, they will almost always agree to a 'we ship you a replacement first, then you send us your broken unit' arrangement.

DON'T let them B.S. you with some sucker gambit, like telling you to send the unit to them first for 'evaluation' as this is just a SCAM to get it out of your hands so you can't return it to the store (and then magically it will turn out later, regardless of what they tell you now, that this 'damage' is NOT covered).

If you explain to them that the unit was not abused (as evidenced by the fact that the bezel glass is not cracked), and that if they will not send an immediate replacement, then it is going right back to the store where you bought it, then they will probably agree.

If Sony gives you any kind of run around, then I wouldn't waste time with them while the clock is running on your stores 15 or 30 day return policy, just return it and let them sort it out.

These days, manufactures are so bad about sending out messed up 'refurbished' units as replacements, that I would personally go with the option of getting the store to replace the unit anyway, or refund your money so you can buy a new one later.

I used to be more willing to deal with the manufacture directly, but now it seems like you just end up getting 'someone else's problem' in exchange for your problem.

For example, you might turn in a reader with bad screen, and end up with one that won't stay charged properly.

So if you have had the unit less than two weeks, I would definitely try to get the store to replace it or refund your money first.

Last edited by delphin; 02-07-2011 at 02:07 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 AM   #14
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Sorry for the duplicate post, the forum seems to have suffered glitch when I edited it.

Last edited by delphin; 02-07-2011 at 04:16 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:08 AM   #15
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Is it possible for the glass to get progressively weakened over time? And then one day, all of a sudden it just cracks with little or no pressure like the OP describes?
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, prs-650, prs650, sony reader