Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Users tips, apps and FAQs for the new reader models

WARNING: DELETING BOOKS PRELOADED IN THE READER HAS CREATED MAJOR PROBLEMS TO SOME USERS - BEFORE YOU DO SO, MIGHT MAKE SENSE TO READ FIRST HERE AND HERE

There is quite a bit of information going around this forum, and quite a bit more on the German and the Russian one, so I thought it might be helpful to gather what we know in a single spot. Of course I must have missed a lot of stuff, which we could add below. And of course, if you spot any mistakes, please let me know!

Hardware
Opening your PB
: see here

SD card:
- Inserting the card.
Must be inserted with gold "teeth" facing upwards, going in first. The card has to be pushed in quite a bit. In Troll05's words "you will need a bit of a fingernail to insert the card proper. It has to be pushed against a small spring and there will be a quite audible "Click" when it locks. Releasing your finger the card should remain approx. 1 mm inside the reader". If you do not trust your nails, in the same thread teofrast suggest using a small coin to push the card in.

- Card recognition
Not all card can be read: I do not know which ones work, but if you tell me we can list them here. Here is a list of those that have proved to work:

- Apacer, 8GB, class 4 (AP8GMCSH4-R) (tomhck)
- Lexar MicroSDHC 32GB Class 10 card - worked with files already on it (gcobb, PB602)
- Kingmax microSDHC 8 GB class 10, KM08GMCSDHC101A (m@rcus, PB903)
- Kingston 32GB class 4 micro SD card (Adam I, PB603)
- Kingston 8GB class 4 mSD card (Jino, PB903, and Yemeth, PB602) - these need a workaround, i.e. you must copy some epub files on teh empty mSD card from your PC (see here).
- Lexar 8GB class 6 MicroSD (rkomar, PB902)
- PNY 8GB Micro SDHC Class 4 Memory Card (Lester Burnham, PB902)
- RiDATA 32Gb Class 10 (qariwa55, PB602)
- Sandisk micro-sdhc 8gb class 2 card (J.C., PB602)*.
- Sandisk Mobile microSDHC 4GB Card (doublezed, PB603, no need to put files on it)
- SanDisk MicroSDHC 4 GB Mobile Ultra Class 4 (Hekse-mie, PB603 and PB903, no need to format or put content on the card)
SanDisk MicroSDHC 16 GB Mobile Ultra Class 4 (Hekse-mie, PB603 and PB903, no need to format or put content on the card)
- Sandisk micro-sdhc 32G class 2 (atango, PB902)
- Sony 8gb class 4, code number SR-8A4/T (teofrast, PB902)*
- TDK MicroSD Trans Flash Memory Card Class 2 (Hekse-mie, PB603 and PB903, no need to format or put content on the card)
- Transcend MicroSDHC 32GB (Class 2) (akeix, PB603, and make sure you format it first)
- Transcend MicroSDHC 8GB (Class 4) (paola, PB903)

* as for Jino's, these cards too had files on them to be on the safe side.

Firmware

LATEST VERSION: 2.1.2
You can download the image files from here:
http://download.pocketbook-int.com/f...2.1.2_user.zip602
http://download.pocketbook-int.com/f...2.1.2_user.zip 603
http://download.pocketbook-int.com/f...2.1.2_user.zip 612
http://download.pocketbook-int.com/f...2.1.2_user.zip 902
http://download.pocketbook-int.com/f...2.1.2_user.zip 903
http://download.pocketbook-int.com/f...2.1.2_user.zip 912

EXPERIMENTAL - "Fast Driver" version of 2.1.2:

Versions 2.1.0, 2.1.1 and beta versions of 2.1.2 are no longer available, but you can ask in the forum, and somebody will res[ond (I've got several of these image files, if not all)

2.1 Past firmware versions: 2.0.6 It is 2.0.6, available here for the European versions. For the North American versions see as follows:
PB602
PB603
PB902
PB903

2.2 Version 2.0.5: Available as follows (European version):
PB602
PB603
PB902
PB903

2.3 Version 2.0.4: available here
Known issues: updating the firmware will get rid of the "games" directory, so before updating make sure you have a backup.

2.4 Version 2.0.3 (North American version for X02 only): It is still available on the US site, and simple geusswork gets you the EURO and CIS versions, so grab it while you can:
Firmware 2.0.3 for PB602, NA
Firmware 2.0.3 for PB602, EURO
Firmware 2.0.3 for PB602, CIS
Firmware 2.0.3 for PB902, NA
Firmware 2.0.3 for PB902, EURO
Firmware 2.0.3 for PB902, CIS

3. updating firmware: you can either do this by copying the file on the sd card, or you can copy the file directly in the internal memory (if you do not have a card). Note that any file on the device has priority on files on the SD card. Remember to remove the file from the device after the update. FROM VERSION 2.0.5 ONWARDS IT SHOULD BE POSSIBLE TO UPDATE THE DEVICE AUTOMATICALLY

SDK:
Do refer to the Developer's subforum for the latest developments. Currently available SDK versions are as follows:

- latest version released in November, available here

- version 2.0.6 released on June 2nd can be downloaded here

For the unofficial SDK, look here (with thanks to sergeyvl12)

Known bugs
For all models:
  • Problem: Themes do not work.
602:
  • Problem: if using bookmarks, the book does not reopen. Solution: do not use bookmarks
903:
  • Problem: the web-browser re-writes the config file each time, so does not save any changes to the appearances (font size, bookmarks), while it does retain history. Solution: hopefully fixed in the next firmware version.

Charging
1. charging light colour: it can stay amber even if the device is fully charged.
2. wall charger: should deliver 5V/1000mA DC

Utilities
1. Text To Speech (TTS): available here

2. utility to create/edit your own keyboard: thanks to M@rkus, available here

User developed applications:

** WEB related **
1. Improved Midori Browser (courtesy of review): look here

2. RSS newsfeeders
2.1 Review's RSS feeder: here.
2.2 Igor's programme (but works via PC, a bit like Calibre): here.

3. Application to run wifi radio(courtesy of review): here.

4. Utility to switch the wifi on and off (courtesy fo review): see here.

5. youryfdr's synthesiser (for X03 models): here

6. sergueyv's modified LINKS browser (for the Pro models): here

7. osowiecki's modified Aurora browser to browse sites offline (for the Pro models): here

** COMMUNICATION/SHELL ACCESS **
1. Utility for remote shell access:

1.a for review's app: see here

1.b see also the discussion on poterm: here

1.c Yuryfdr's additions to Uroboros' poterm: it is here

2 mamaich's instructions to get to the root of your pocketbook: it is here

** PROGRAMMING SUPPORT **
1 rkomar's UI program for popping up dialogs within script files on PocketBook:
see here

** READING/WRITING **

Note - for dictionaries, see here

1. FBReader 180 (with wrist page turn, courtesy of GrayNM):
see here for the latest version. Additional discussions are in
see this thread.

2. Application to read DJVU files with enhanced contrast (courtesy of review): for the most up to date version see here, but see here for installation instructions (and it is useful to read also the whole discussion).

3. Annotations (courtesy of review): instructions are here for the latest 2.0.4 FW version (released in January), and here for the December 2.0.4 version.

4. Coolreader (review's adaptation of reader42's port for 302)
is here - you are strongly advised to read the whole Coolreader thread in this forum, especially this post.

5. Coolreader (from the Russian forum version) NOW WITH WRIST PAGE TURNS and basic STYLUS SUPPORT for the X03 models
- the latest version is v0.0.6-6 (CREngine 3.0.57-1), see here - whole thread is here, and the most uptodate version can be found here. Note: for the correct menu image file copy the appropiate attached file in the "skin" subfolder (under "system/bin/share/cr3/bin"). The .zip file attached contains several versions in other languages - the file name begins with the device type for which it works, so when after copying the image file rename it "cr3_pb_quickmenu.png" (thanks to J.C. and apos). A few menus are missing, so feel free to contribute your own . bivsumy (Ukranian forum user) has Coolreader page with instructions and tips that is really very good.

6. More on annotations - bogomil's suite
see here - whole thread is here

7. Utility to reflow text in txt files (courtesy of neurocyp)
download with isntructions here - whole thread is here

8. Pi, the text editor (courtesy of yuryfr):
download with instructions here - yury's page is here

9. application to view image files (courtesy of rkomar): see here

10. application to edit EPUB files (courtesy of rkomar, uses Yuryfr's Pi editor): see here

**LAYOUT**
Gerda has done some works on themes for the Pro models - see here

** ORGANISING YOUR BOOKS **
The 2.1.2 version of the firmware has a new shelf organization. However you can also download the application "explorer_t.app" here (see here)

** GAMES **

1. Chess for pocketbook (courtesy of sergeyvl12): now version 1.1.5, see here.

2. Checkers (courtesy of yuryfdr): see here and ask clarification questions in this thread

2. Reversi (courtesy of yuryfdr): see here

3. Straycat (courtesy of Antuan from the Russian forum): available for the new models here (click the second link)

4. Falltrix (similar to Tetris, courtesy of yuryfdr): see here

5. Lines, Sokoban, Crosspix and Miners adapted by yuryfdr for the new models: see here

6. Zwadrax adapted by yuryfdr for the new models: see here

7. PBCHord, your guitar companion, courtesy of MartinZ: see here, and the wole thread for discussion

** OTHER UTILITIES **
1. Utility to unzip files (courtesy of review): instructions are here.

2. Calcplus (martinz's version of a scientific calculator here)

3. Organiser (calendar) (NetSpider's (from the Ukranian forum) port of Qorganizer - and thanks to bogomil for the heads up): download it here

** FAQ: **

Device:
1. How do I customise the startup/off logo?
See here, being careful to use resolution 825x1200 for the 90X models)

Connections:
1. How do I transfer files between the device and my computer?
- For transfer via bluetooth, see J.C.'s step by step guide to setting up a bluetooth connection between your PC and your device, see here. See also here.
- For more sophisticated ways, see here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	903cr3_pb_quickmenu.png
Views:	1752
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	80704  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip cr3_pb_quickmenu_intl.zip (103.5 KB, 1332 views)

Last edited by paola; 06-04-2012 at 03:01 AM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Paola! Thanks for this!!
Looking of the contributors here review have the most!!!

PB Executuves: hire his services!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
There is quite a bit of information going around this forum, and quite a bit more on the German and the Russian one, so I thought it might be helpful to gather what we know in a single spot. Of course I must have missed a lot of stuff, which we could add below. And of course, if you spot any mistakes, please let me know!

Hardware
Opening your PB
: see here
SD card: not all card can be read: I do not know which ones work, but if you tell me we can list them here.

Firmware
1. Current firmware version: It is 2.0.4, available here
Known issues: updating the firmware will get rid of the "games" directory, so before updating make sure you have a backup.

2. SDK: The SDK is expected to be released in March, however some people have had a go already: you can find the story here.

3. updating firmware: you can either do this by copying the file on the sd card, or you can copy the file directly in the internal memory (if you do not have a card). Note that any file on the device has priority on files on the SD card. Remember to remove the file from the device after the update.

Known bugs
For all models:
  • Problem: Themes do not work.
602:
  • Problem: if using bookmarks, the book does not reopen. Solution: do not use bookmarks
903:
  • Problem: the web-browser re-writes the config file each time, so does not save any changes to the appearances (font size, bookmarks), while it does retain history. Solution: hopefully fixed in the next the book does not reopen.

Charging
1. charging light colour: it can stay amber even if the device is fully charged.
2. wall charger: should deliver 5V/1000mA DC

Utilities
1. Text To Speech (TTS): available here

User developed applications:
FBReader 180 (with wrist page turn, courtesy of GrayNM): see here. Careful here, as the context menu is wrongly mapped (but the functions are there).

Annotations (courtesy of review): instructions are here for the latest 2.0.4 FW version (released in January), and here for the December 2.0.4 version.

Utility to unzip files (courtesy of review): instructions are here.

Utility to switch the wifi on and off (courtesy fo review): see here.

Utility for remote shell access (courtesy of review): see here

Chess for pocketbook (courtesy of sergeyvl12): see here.

Application to read DJVU files with enhanced contrast (courtesy of review): see here.

RSS newsfeeders
Review's RSS feeder: here.
Igor's programme (but works via PC, a bit like Calibre): here.

FAQ:
Connections:

How do I transfer files between the device and my computer? For transfer via bluetooth, see here. For more sophisticated ways, see here.
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
This looks like a great idea!

The PB representatives might want to support review by sending him the other models to play with. He's been doing a great job so far.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

review has done it again
(I have updated the first message accordingly)
Old 02-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
teofrast
Enthusiast
teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: pocketbook902
nice idea paola,
regarding working microsd I have installed a sony 8gb class4 (I red somewhere that only class 4 works properly) code number SR-8A4/T.
until now I had no problem (loaded it with 4 GB of files, deleted some, and performed a fw upgrade from there).
cheers
t
teofrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 04:19 AM   #6
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by teofrast View Post
nice idea paola,
regarding working microsd I have installed a sony 8gb class4 (I red somewhere that only class 4 works properly) code number SR-8A4/T.
until now I had no problem (loaded it with 4 GB of files, deleted some, and performed a fw upgrade from there).
cheers
t
thanks teofrast, I will update the first post - together with the new developments by review, it is hard to keep up with that guy (fortunately!)
Old 02-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
m@rcus
m@rcus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.m@rcus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.m@rcus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903
Card working for PB903 - Kingmax microSDHC 8 GB class 10, KM08GMCSDHC101A
m@rcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I use a Lexar 8GB class 6 MicroSD card in my 902 without any problems. So I think that classes above 4 are okay, as well.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #9
paola
Wizard

thanks guys, updated
Old 02-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #10
tomhck
Enthusiast
tomhck began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
FbReader180 updated

Thanks for this topic, Paola. FbReader180 has been several times updated and wrong mapping in the menu is fixed now. I found it here:
Ebook.org -> FbReader180
tomhck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
paola
Wizard

thanks! updated, including the update of reviews djvu viewing app adn rkomar's poterm - and please, if you spot anythign I forgot, jsut let me know!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks! updated, including the update of reviews djvu viewing app adn rkomar's poterm - and please, if you spot anythign I forgot, jsut let me know!
I made two or three simple line changes to LoneTech's poterm sources/SDK, so I hate to see it listed as mine. Also, LoneTech's app (linked at the start of the SDK thread) is what works with firmware 2.0.3 and earlier, and the one I uploaded is for 2.0.4 (and hopefully later).
Old 02-09-2011, 03:34 AM   #13
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I made two or three simple line changes to LoneTech's poterm sources/SDK, so I hate to see it listed as mine. Also, LoneTech's app (linked at the start of the SDK thread) is what works with firmware 2.0.3 and earlier, and the one I uploaded is for 2.0.4 (and hopefully later).
thanks rkomar, and apologies if I upset you! I have updated the first message, hope it reads fine now.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #14
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
thanks rkomar, and apologies if I upset you! I have updated the first message, hope it reads fine now.
I wasn't upset; just a little embarrassed at getting credit that I didn't deserve. Everything is good, now.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
paola
Wizard

I have updated the card list with Jino's workaround: I wonder wheter this may work with other cards? (I cannot try, as I haven't got any )