Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Did anybody buy a white Kindle 3?

I know the graphite model supposedly helps the eye by increasing contrast between the epaper and the bezel, but has anybody purchased the white version instead? If so, what was your rationale?
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I thought of doing it with the plan of setting the margins to zero and then thinking of the white bezel as if the edge of a normal white-background book page. But then I went with the herd and got the graphite.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Amazon don't even stock the white model in the UK but I would have gotten the graphite one anyway even if I did have a choice.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoZ View Post
I know the graphite model supposedly helps the eye by increasing contrast between the epaper and the bezel, but has anybody purchased the white version instead? If so, what was your rationale?
If I get one it will be the white one. I prefer the white color over the graphite color.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoZ View Post
My wife has a white one and I have a graphite so we can tell them apart. But I will try to answer, what I think is, your question.

I set both up the same (font size etc.) and opened up the same book in each. When I look at them and focus on each in turn, the background of the white one appears to be darker but the characters appear darker as well. If I look at them side by side and back up a bit, I can't tell the difference.

Buy the color you like and you won't be disappointed. at least not in this regard

Happy reading - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
I just find it interesting that every review or real-life photo I've seen so far is of the Graphite, and not the white.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
I would get the white if it was available in the (cheaper) Wi-Fi only model.
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
tadhgadams
tadhgadams began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaJole View Post
I would get the white if it was available in the (cheaper) Wi-Fi only model.
Same here. I'd have bought the white, but I had no use for 3g and I found 50 dollars more preferable than the white case.
tadhgadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
No choice in the UK, but surely Graphite is of the moment, white looks so K2!
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The white model is $50 more because you need to get wifi as well. When I weighed the cost -- and decided I have wifi virtually everywhere I sit down to read (except in a plane but that's wireless no go anyway) -- I put the $50 towards the lighted case. (Which, btw, works very well: you really can read by the light alone.)
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
esse
esse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I have the white model. I've never seen a graphite model in person so I can't compare the two, but I know I tend to find black much more distracting than white. I'm happy with it.
esse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
The White wasn't available in the UK, but I wouldn't have wanted it anyway. I think it looks a bit plasticy in the pics, and much prefer the graphite one which I went for.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
My wife's is white, I have the graphite.

PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #14
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
My wife's is white, I have the graphite.

Thanks for the pics. Looks great. I really prefer the white.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:19 AM   #15
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Hmmm, they should have come out with a grey version, to match the screen
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote